The Student Room Group

gcse maths 9-1 exam

Does anyone know what tops definitely or most likely to come up in each of the three papers(1 non calc and 2 calc) because i need a set list of revision topics
Me too. Bump.
Original post by Misaki24
Does anyone know what tops definitely or most likely to come up in each of the three papers(1 non calc and 2 calc) because i need a set list of revision topics

It's a new set of exams. Nobody knows what topics are likely to be on which paper and it is impossible to predict, indeed almost any topic can be on any paper. When you take your exams in the summer try to remember what was tested on paper one so you know what is left to be tested on the following papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by AeliusSejanus
Me too. Bump.

bump :smile:

Just revise EVERYTHING! There is no guarantee and luckily time IS on your side so start NOW!:smile: (Don't do what I did lol!:tongue:)
Best of luck!x:biggrin::h:
Reply 6
Original post by sunshine774
Just revise EVERYTHING! There is no guarantee and luckily time IS on your side so start NOW!:smile: (Don't do what I did lol!:tongue:)
Best of luck!x:biggrin::h:

thank youu! :smile: x
Reply 7
thank youu! :smile: x

You're welcome I feel sorry for you but you should be fine!x:h:
And if you're good at maths and you like it you'll DEFINITELY be fine! Like anything, you just need to practice!x:biggrin:
What GCSE's are you doing?:smile:
Reply 9
You're welcome I feel sorry for you but you should be fine!x:h:
And if you're good at maths and you like it you'll DEFINITELY be fine! Like anything, you just need to practice!x:biggrin:
What GCSE's are you doing?:smile:

Thank you :smile:
i am doing triple science and drama as options and Spanish and religious studies are compulsory,
i am assuming you are doing a levels, am i right or?
Thank you :smile:
i am doing triple science and drama as options and Spanish and religious studies are compulsory,
i am assuming you are doing a levels, am i right or?

Nice! I also did triple science, and spanish and RS were also compulsory for me!:smile: My options were business studies, computing and food and nutrition! :smile: Yes I am doing a levels (first year) - maths, economics, chemistry and the EPQ!x:h: It's alright but it is a LOT of work!!!:tongue:
Reply 11
Nice! I also did triple science, and spanish and RS were also compulsory for me!:smile: My options were business studies, computing and food and nutrition! :smile: Yes I am doing a levels (first year) - maths, economics, chemistry and the EPQ!x:h: It's alright but it is a LOT of work!!!:tongue:

Really? i want to do maths biology chemistry physics
How is chemistry A-level,i is it really mathematical, i just finished my C5 module, and i thought before doing it i was gonna flop because it is 99% maths but turns out it wasnt that bad and got A* (i was so shocked) but yeah issit much different from GCSE what sort of things do you learn
Also, how is maths a level
sorry i ask too many questions :colondollar:
but in my school i cant really ask anyone or anyone that i know of who is older as they tend to get annoyed with me asking too much so im rly sorry x
Really? i want to do maths biology chemistry physics
How is chemistry A-level,i is it really mathematical, i just finished my C5 module, and i thought before doing it i was gonna flop because it is 99% maths but turns out it wasnt that bad and got A* (i was so shocked) but yeah issit much different from GCSE what sort of things do you learn
Also, how is maths a level
sorry i ask too many questions :colondollar:
but in my school i cant really ask anyone or anyone that i know of who is older as they tend to get annoyed with me asking too much so im rly sorry x

It's OK I was exactly like you this time last year ha ha! :tongue: It's good to ask questions and I'm happy to help!x:h:
It's not too mathematical- but there is a whole chapter on moles and volumes which is just maths! I really recommend primrose kitten for calculations for a level!:smile: It is a MASSIVE step up from GCSE! If you want good grade- you MUST put the hours in! (At least for me at GCSE this wasn't the case!:tongue:) But if you work hard- trust me you'll have no problem!:h:

Also if you do maths a level you'll be fine with chem calculations- it seems like nothing in comparison!:tongue: A level maths is also a big step up from GCSE lol- but it's not as hard as everybody makes out! It also seems to be a LOT more interesting!:smile: But it IS hard- you have to keep on top of it (like chem) and DO AS MANY QUESTIONS AS POSSIBLE! Do all the past papers, solomon papers and questions in the textbook! If you do this, you'll find it easy in no time!x :biggrin:

Oh and some of my friends do A level is biology and the amount of content to learn is CRAZY so please keep on top of it!x:smile:
For chemistry- we started off with GCSE stuff at the beginning of the year- like RAM and atoms ions and compounds. We've done amount of substance, acids and redox, electrons and bonding, shapes of molecules and intermolecular forces, periodicity, reactivity trends and we are currently studying enthalpy and enthalpy calculations!x:h:

I STRONGLY recommend that for A level chem you make flashcards- there is a lot of content and you have to remember every little detail! Get the CGP guide (it is amazing), the exam board endorsed textbook, and use chemrevise notes (amazing!) and make notes from them ALL (one source does not give you enough detail!) and if you do OCR A do the practice questions at the end of every chapter!:smile:

This is what I am doing for A level chem and at the beginning of the year I was only getting D's (thought I could get away with doing nothing lol!:tongue:) and now I a working at an A!:h: Remember, it is only as hard as you think it is- people say that chemistry is one of the hardest a levels (which it IS) but if you work you'll get good grades!:biggrin:

Do you know which exam board you will do for each subject yet (if you've finalised your choices)?:smile:
Do you want to be a doctor/ study medicine by any chance (your a level combo)?:smile:

Hope this is helpful!x:biggrin:
Reply 13
It's OK I was exactly like you this time last year ha ha! :tongue: It's good to ask questions and I'm happy to help!x:h:
It's not too mathematical- but there is a whole chapter on moles and volumes which is just maths! I really recommend primrose kitten for calculations for a level!:smile: It is a MASSIVE step up from GCSE! If you want good grade- you MUST put the hours in! (At least for me at GCSE this wasn't the case!:tongue:) But if you work hard- trust me you'll have no problem!:h:

Also if you do maths a level you'll be fine with chem calculations- it seems like nothing in comparison!:tongue: A level maths is also a big step up from GCSE lol- but it's not as hard as everybody makes out! It also seems to be a LOT more interesting!:smile: But it IS hard- you have to keep on top of it (like chem) and DO AS MANY QUESTIONS AS POSSIBLE! Do all the past papers, solomon papers and questions in the textbook! If you do this, you'll find it easy in no time!x :biggrin:

Oh and some of my friends do A level is biology and the amount of content to learn is CRAZY so please keep on top of it!x:smile:
For chemistry- we started off with GCSE stuff at the beginning of the year- like RAM and atoms ions and compounds. We've done amount of substance, acids and redox, electrons and bonding, shapes of molecules and intermolecular forces, periodicity, reactivity trends and we are currently studying enthalpy and enthalpy calculations!x:h:

I STRONGLY recommend that for A level chem you make flashcards- there is a lot of content and you have to remember every little detail! Get the CGP guide (it is amazing), the exam board endorsed textbook, and use chemrevise notes (amazing!) and make notes from them ALL (one source does not give you enough detail!) and if you do OCR A do the practice questions at the end of every chapter!:smile:

This is what I am doing for A level chem and at the beginning of the year I was only getting D's (thought I could get away with doing nothing lol!:tongue:) and now I a working at an A!:h: Remember, it is only as hard as you think it is- people say that chemistry is one of the hardest a levels (which it IS) but if you work you'll get good grades!:biggrin:

Do you know which exam board you will do for each subject yet (if you've finalised your choices)?:smile:
Do you want to be a doctor/ study medicine by any chance (your a level combo)?:smile:

Hope this is helpful!x:biggrin:

This was very VERY helpful! Thanks sooooo much!
Its between ocr and aqa for sciences (i currently do ocr) and probably edexcel for maths
one problem though, i am fine with maths content during lessons but i still do really bad on the maths exams (im in top set) i have to get B my predicted is a low C which isnt even considered pass and i am getting D's
do you have any advice on how to get at least to B (i used to get these on the old spec) any websites?
and no but i chose these subjects because they are my favourite however i may going into that field in the future but i really have my eye on physics at the moment x :smile:
This was very VERY helpful! Thanks sooooo much!
Its between ocr and aqa for sciences (i currently do ocr) and probably edexcel for maths
one problem though, i am fine with maths content during lessons but i still do really bad on the maths exams (im in top set) i have to get B my predicted is a low C which isnt even considered pass and i am getting D's
do you have any advice on how to get at least to B (i used to get these on the old spec) any websites?
and no but i chose these subjects because they are my favourite however i may going into that field in the future but i really have my eye on physics at the moment x :smile:

You're welcome!x:h: Use exam solutions, hegarty maths and corbett maths! For maths, you must do AS MANY QUESTIONS AS POSSIBLE! And the same applies at a level!:smile: So do ALL the past papers!:smile: And if you run out of ones for your exam board- start doing papers from other exam boards!:smile: I'm glad- at least you chose subjects you liked instead of like so many ppl becuase "you have to to got to uni and to get a good job" although you probably will get a good job doing STEM subjects lol!x:smile: At A level you really have to like and enjoy your subject because you need to spend a lot of time practicing/revising!:biggrin:

Nice- physics is a rewarding degree; my dad has a PhD in physics although I couldn't stand it even at GCSE!:tongue:
Reply 15
You're welcome!x:h: Use exam solutions, hegarty maths and corbett maths! For maths, you must do AS MANY QUESTIONS AS POSSIBLE! And the same applies at a level!:smile: So do ALL the past papers!:smile: And if you run out of ones for your exam board- start doing papers from other exam boards!:smile: I'm glad- at least you chose subjects you liked instead of like so many ppl becuase "you have to to got to uni and to get a good job" although you probably will get a good job doing STEM subjects lol!x:smile: At A level you really have to like and enjoy your subject because you need to spend a lot of time practicing/revising!:biggrin:

Nice- physics is a rewarding degree; my dad has a PhD in physics although I couldn't stand it even at GCSE!:tongue:

that is very true and thanks again :smile:
I dont have a login for hegarty as our school does not use it
and i have three months till GCSE do you think its possible to go from D to B in that time?
that is very true and thanks again :smile:
I dont have a login for hegarty as our school does not use it
and i have three months till GCSE do you think its possible to go from D to B in that time?

Of course you can!!! Just make sure you start ASAP and you can easily go from D to B in GCSE maths! Just use exam solutions, corbett maths and do LOTS of past papers!:h: I am planning to start my revsion for AS maths tomorrow (I have 3 months left also) and I aiming for 95+ UMS and I am pretty sure I can do it so I am 100% sure you can do it too!:smile: Best of luck!x

And use half term (whenever it starts for you) wisely- you will not have school so you'll have plenty more time! Of course have a rest and enjoy yourself- but this time is also valuable for revision!x:biggrin:
Reply 17
Of course you can!!! Just make sure you start ASAP and you can easily go from D to B in GCSE maths! Just use exam solutions, corbett maths and do LOTS of past papers!:h: I am planning to start my revsion for AS maths tomorrow (I have 3 months left also) and I aiming for 95+ UMS and I am pretty sure I can do it so I am 100% sure you can do it too!:smile: Best of luck!x

And use half term (whenever it starts for you) wisely- you will not have school so you'll have plenty more time! Of course have a rest and enjoy yourself- but this time is also valuable for revision!x:biggrin:

Best of luck to you too! :smile: x
it is currently half term for me so im revising alot
Best of luck to you too! :smile: x
it is currently half term for me so im revising alot

Thank you!x :biggrin: Oh lucky and good!:smile: My half term is in 2 weeks and the rest of my family have their half term now (as they go to school)!:frown:
Yeah make very good use of this time wish I did this during GCSE´s I didn´t even revise!:tongue:

Nth term normally comes in the non calculator
https://youtu.be/awauMz4soQ8
^ That's WrightMaths he does the new maths papers I highly recommend him

Quick Reply

Latest