The Student Room Group

Should I quit my job '/

I'm a fresher doing a maths degree and I have a job working on campus. I work from 11-4:30 every saturday and sunday and get paid £8.09 per hour which is pretty decent. I've worked here since october and the job itself is rather repetitive and I'm always pretty tired after. As a result I always end up doing no work over the weekends and I kinda dread the weekends cause I know I have work and so I don't have a day off as such.

I'm doing pretty badly on my course and I'm pretty sure I got 3rds in my jan exams( get results in a few days ) I don't understand a lot of the content and have pretty much no motivation to do work and so have been actively avoiding it by joining societies or going to the gym for instance...I'm considering dropping out/swapping courses but haven't really made my mind up about that

my question is whether i should leave my job so i have the weekend to study and do other things or just keep it up seeing as I'm getting a lot of money out of it and first year grades don't count ??

Scroll to see replies

I'm in the same situation. 1st year student and working p/t in IT job. Job pays really well but bosses want me to work extra hours which affect my uni stuff.

If I keep the job going and work F/T during summer & P/T during uni, I could earn enough money to pay for the next 2 years of uni (& no loan). Plus I can go straight into a F/T job when I leave.

This is not an option for me but: could you job-share your campus job so you can keep the job & do reduced hours?
You crazy? Quit.
I had the same situation as you but I was doing A levels in Biology, chem, maths and psychology and used to work at greggs on weekends only meaning i was just too tired to study or do anything and i got super behind to a state that my chemistry teacher wanted me to drop chemistry when I knew that if i quit i would beable to focus on doing actually studying but the only thing that kept me working at greggs was the pay was 6 quid and hour which was pretty decent. Anyway in the end i broke down and just quit cos i was failing real bad and didnt even have time to chill and i went from a grade u in chemistry to a grade b after quitting. Honestly it makes life so much easier just quit- fail with an 8 quid job or pass uni with a brilliant degree?
Also i had to drop psychology whilst working because the job made me fail psuchology eventually
so id suggest if you're wise, quit.
Reply 4
Original post by ThePricklyOne
I'm in the same situation. 1st year student and working p/t in IT job. Job pays really well but bosses want me to work extra hours which affect my uni stuff.

If I keep the job going and work F/T during summer & P/T during uni, I could earn enough money to pay for the next 2 years of uni (& no loan). Plus I can go straight into a F/T job when I leave.

This is not an option for me but: could you job-share your campus job so you can keep the job & do reduced hours?

I'm not sure really I know I can have more hours if I want but if i asked for reduced hours they'd likely just tell me to leave cause they're quite short staffed as it is. they have a few contracted people included myself and cause the job is only during term time I'm expected to work every single weekend as i have to take my holidays during xmas for instance and so i can't even get days off unless I actually have an exam on that day or tell them I'm ill
Reply 5
Original post by Jp Ahmad
Also i had to drop psychology whilst working because the job made me fail psuchology eventually
so id suggest if you're wise, quit.

thank you for the advice ; If i did actually get thirds in the jan exams I will phone up my manager and give them my notice, but then again I hate my course so much I'd likely end up dropping out anyways even if I did get above a third at the end of the year, in which case keeping the job would be beneficial
Original post by fefssdf
I'm not sure really I know I can have more hours if I want but if i asked for reduced hours they'd likely just tell me to leave cause they're quite short staffed as it is. they have a few contracted people included myself and cause the job is only during term time I'm expected to work every single weekend as i have to take my holidays during xmas for instance and so i can't even get days off unless I actually have an exam on that day or tell them I'm ill

Share the job (job share scheme, my work place has this), rather than ask for reduced hrs. Do have a uni mate who might appreciate working a few hours?

Also talk to your personal tutor /student union who be able to suggest something.
Reply 7
Original post by ThePricklyOne
Share the job (job share scheme, my work place has this), rather than ask for reduced hrs. Do have a uni mate who might appreciate working a few hours?

Also talk to your personal tutor /student union who be able to suggest something.

don't really know anyone after a job tbh as most people I know have plenty of money and would be unlikely to want to make themselves antisicoail at the weekend by working
I'm sorry if I end up sounding harsh but I think you need to think about whether your grades are really because of your job. It sounds like there are lots of other factors at play e.g. lack of motivation, joining societies to avoid work. These things will still be problems even without the job - would you just use the extra time for societies or another hobby? It's hard work not getting a day off but at the end plenty of students work at the weekend. I'm not saying this to be mean but just because I know friends who blamed bad grades on the fact that they had a job, but when they quit their job they still didn't do any work because their job wasn't really the problem. So just make sure you're being honest with yourself and still put the work in if you quit.

And of course it depends on how much you rely on the money and if there's any option to work one day a week instead of 2?
Very similar experience as JP above - worked as a retail assistant for 3 months, but me being such an underweight and weak kid, I got really tired after work, as similarly dreaded the days I had to come in.

It really affected my grades, and as my parents said and JP too - would you rather have that wage for a couple of years, or actually put the 27k tuition fee to good use and come out with an amazing class-degree? At the end of the day, it is advised for students not to work alongside studies, unless it is something very undemanding, like working behind a counter, or something that doesn't require much effort.

The on-campus jobs are the best, as you can work around study time, but it seems like you'll need these weekends in order to catch up - there's not point in trying to come out with no loan; the loan is there in the first place to help you do your studies! Only then can you use that education to get yourself a good salary and pay it off - and even then in minuscule amounts.

I think quitting this current job would be best - at least now you know how demanding work can be. If you still need the income, then try and search for something more simple, like working in the library for instance. I worked for 3 evenings a week and sacrificing time after-school didn't help with homework, nor revision. It made me tired, wasted away my motivation and was only for some money that now just sits in my account.

Hope you manage to pick up your grades soon :h: - this year may not count as much, but it's only a practice run for the next two - and you can't afford to make any mistakes then :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by roflcakes1
I'm sorry if I end up sounding harsh but I think you need to think about whether your grades are really because of your job. It sounds like there are lots of other factors at play e.g. lack of motivation, joining societies to avoid work. These things will still be problems even without the job - would you just use the extra time for societies or another hobby? It's hard work not getting a day off but at the end plenty of students work at the weekend. I'm not saying this to be mean but just because I know friends who blamed bad grades on the fact that they had a job, but when they quit their job they still didn't do any work because their job wasn't really the problem. So just make sure you're being honest with yourself and still put the work in if you quit.

And of course it depends on how much you rely on the money and if there's any option to work one day a week instead of 2?

yeh I completely agree with you and if I'm honest I'm pretty sure I'm still gonna end up doing bad without this job and one of the reasons I'm considering quitting is cause lots of sports clubs do trips ect at the weekend and I feel like I'm missing out on them... I don't need the money either I mean I get the max loan. I just idk I need to stop wasting my time and putting in the hours... I have a meeting with my tutor in a few days regarding exam results so might talk to her then about my issues surrounding motivation ect
Reply 11
Original post by BrainyBengali
Very similar experience as JP above - worked as a retail assistant for 3 months, but me being such an underweight and weak kid, I got really tired after work, as similarly dreaded the days I had to come in.

It really affected my grades, and as my parents said and JP too - would you rather have that wage for a couple of years, or actually put the 27k tuition fee to good use and come out with an amazing class-degree? At the end of the day, it is advised for students not to work alongside studies, unless it is something very undemanding, like working behind a counter, or something that doesn't require much effort.

The on-campus jobs are the best, as you can work around study time, but it seems like you'll need these weekends in order to catch up - there's not point in trying to come out with no loan; the loan is there in the first place to help you do your studies! Only then can you use that education to get yourself a good salary and pay it off - and even then in minuscule amounts.

I think quitting this current job would be best - at least now you know how demanding work can be. If you still need the income, then try and search for something more simple, like working in the library for instance. I worked for 3 evenings a week and sacrificing time after-school didn't help with homework, nor revision. It made me tired, wasted away my motivation and was only for some money that now just sits in my account.

Hope you manage to pick up your grades soon :h: - this year may not count as much, but it's only a practice run for the next two - and you can't afford to make any mistakes then :wink:

thanks for putting things into perspective ; I need to get my act together and start doing more work. I get the exam results from jan back in a few days and I'm somewhat hoping the bad results will give me feel bad enough that I'll actually start doing more work
Original post by fefssdf
Thanks for putting things into perspective; I need to get my act together and start doing more work. I get the exam results from Jan back in a few days and I'm somewhat hoping the bad results will give me feel bad enough that I'll actually start doing more work

No worries :h: I'm just happy that I can use my experience to help prevent someone repeating the same mistake.
Even if the grades aren't too bad, they still won't be what they could've been - regret is such a bad thing. 'What if...?' is the worst thing a person can keep on their mind, and many older people hate asking themselves what could have been. Don't be one of them.

Don't worry - you'll smash it :biggrin:
Original post by fefssdf
don't really know anyone after a job tbh as most people I know have plenty of money and would be unlikely to want to make themselves antisicoail at the weekend by working

Some 1st year might want to earn a bit. Your student union's job office may a list of people looking for jobs. Even if they take one weekend day off you, that'll give you some time to do assignments. But then you might procrastinate instead.

Alternative is to quit the job and look for another one in the summer when you got more free time.
I would quit if you think it will help you motivate yourself with your studies. Your degree needs to come first and while first year doesn't count you'll find it hard to step up next year if you haven't worked out the expectations and what is needed to get good grades. I would say you need to work out how to stop procrastinating in general because right now it sounds like the job isn't your biggest issue.
Original post by fefssdf
I'm a fresher doing a maths degree and I have a job working on campus. I work from 11-4:30 every saturday and sunday and get paid £8.09 per hour which is pretty decent. I've worked here since october and the job itself is rather repetitive and I'm always pretty tired after. As a result I always end up doing no work over the weekends and I kinda dread the weekends cause I know I have work and so I don't have a day off as such.

I'm doing pretty badly on my course and I'm pretty sure I got 3rds in my jan exams( get results in a few days ) I don't understand a lot of the content and have pretty much no motivation to do work and so have been actively avoiding it by joining societies or going to the gym for instance...I'm considering dropping out/swapping courses but haven't really made my mind up about that

my question is whether i should leave my job so i have the weekend to study and do other things or just keep it up seeing as I'm getting a lot of money out of it and first year grades don't count ??

If you're not enjoying the job, it's taking up time when otherwise you could be studying/ relaxing, and you don't need the money to survive, I personally would advise quitting it. Your grades/ mental health are much more important.

Regarding the whole "first year grades don't count" idea - yes, it may not be aggregated into your final degree grade, but if you want to apply for internships next year they will look at your first year grade as an indication of how well you are doing. Additionally, if you do badly this year, next year you will have to catch up on a lot of knowledge - starting behind everyone else really isn't ideal. And getting into good study habits now will only help you in the future :smile:

If you're not enjoying your degree, perhaps talk to a careers advisor/ course tutor about your options? If you want to switch courses, they will probably require you to get a decent grade this year if you want to go into second year of a related degree, otherwise you will have to start from first year again.

If you're really not enjoying the studying, think of it as a job - study 9-5 every weekday and then give yourself time off to relax. You might not get a 1st, but having set study hours and just getting on with the work (your job has given you good practice at doing boring, monotonous jobs, no?) will ensure at least you don't fail. Who knows, being able to spend more time on your studies and having better time management may actually make you enjoy it after all :smile:
Let's suppose you do quit, do you want to spend the next few years working your arse off to pay the student loan you borrowed for nothing?
I think a job is really important. Earning money is great, and also future employers will like you if you've worked. Perhaps reduce your hours?

I'm doing A Levels in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry, and work 18 hours a week (2 different jobs), and have been managing fine, so it's definitely doable. I think you just have to be very organised and use your time effectively
Reply 18
So update in my January exams I got high 2:2's which is better than what I thought I'd get. However most people it seems got 2:1's and firsts so I don't feel that great
Original post by fefssdf

Hi,

If you can afford it, I’d say you may be best considering leaving the job (maybe reducing your hours if you can) if its impacting that much on your life. Your priority at university needs to be your course, otherwise there’s not much point paying to study it! If after this you are still struggling with your course, think about transferring as it may just not be the right course or university for you. If you maintain this job, it may start impacting on your mental health and continue to disrupt your studying, which may not be worth the pay check. Maybe look into other jobs that would better fit around your study. For example, I work with Outreach as a mentor at the University of Derby so I can fit the hours around my study and if I’ve got a particularly busy week, I don’t have sign up for any. An opportunity like this may be more suitable for you.

Hope this helps,

Molly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending