The Student Room Group

'two-tier NHS' as GPs allow fee-paying patients to jump the queue

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MagicNMedicine
So rich metropolitan elites will get better access to health care than the working classes who voted Brexit thinking it was going to help the NHS.

I hope to someday join this rich metropolitan elite I supposedly belong to. If only so I can lord my superior healthcare over the people who hate me for some reason.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You are being discriminated against on you ability to pay. Like most things in life. I just thought that healthcare was one important area where we had make some kind of progress in the UK.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you and don't really think it's fair that private customers can enjoy longer/better quality services purely on their ability to pay. Honestly I think healthcare is so important and it's a shame if people are only able to get a lower standard of care on the NHS because they are non fee-paying, and obviously there are implications in terms of the fundamental principles of the NHS being compromised etc.

However, I would say that as long as more urgent treatments are prioritised in the sense that you don't have to pay extra to gain a better cancer operation or something, it's inevitable that there might be some degree of private work done by GPs and it's unfortunately true that there's little we can do about it.
Original post by Davij038
Disgusting.

That this is only available in Bournemouth.

My doctors that is half NHS half private have done this for 20 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
My doctors that is half NHS half private have done this for 20 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, I might actually see if mine does this.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
rich metropolitan elites

You mean the ones wandering along Fifth Avenue in Bournemouth shopping at Harrods, Louis Vuitton and Chanel before popping into the Savoy Grill for lunch
I'm okay with this. I'd just like to be assured my luxury appointment doesn't take away from any of the muggles, and that the clinic can maintain both.
Original post by nulli tertius
You mean the ones wandering along Fifth Avenue in Bournemouth shopping at Harrods, Louis Vuitton and Chanel before popping into the Savoy Grill for lunch

Pretty much...

IMG_1384.JPG
Original post by nulli tertius

no, rich metropolitan elites means the Remoaners, usually Labour/Lib Dem/Green voters who have had everything on a silver plate for them and don't understand the life of working people like Nigel Farage does
Reply 28
Original post by Drunk Punx
Literally, the only upside to this, is that the NHS will, presumably, be getting more money... but whether the money paid goes to the NHS or straight in the doctors' pocket remains to be seen.

Not a penny goes to the NHS and rightly so - they're doing nothing here. The GP is a private contractor, he owns his surgery (albeit in a partnership) and the NHS is doing absolutely nothing.

Original post by SCIENCE :D
This is the start of the end for the NHS, *uck this country man, I can't wait to leave.

I'm not sure of any countries where they ban doctors from working for anyone other than the state. North Korea, presumably? Venezuela? Enjoy those high levels of patient care.

Original post by Percypig17
Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you and don't really think it's fair that private customers can enjoy longer/better quality services purely on their ability to pay. Honestly I think healthcare is so important and it's a shame if people are only able to get a lower standard of care on the NHS because they are non fee-paying,

Well, either you complete ban anyone from buying private medical care and imprison anyone who pays a doctor for a service - or you invest infinite money in the NHS. As a public service, what the NHS provides will always be limited - and there will always be someone willing to pay more for a better service than it provides.

obviously there are implications in terms of the fundamental principles of the NHS being compromised etc

There aren't. The NHS aren't involved in this at all.
Original post by L i b
Not a penny goes to the NHS and rightly so - they're doing nothing here. The GP is a private contractor, he owns his surgery (albeit in a partnership) and the NHS is doing absolutely nothing.

Ok, so the NHS aren't part of it... but I get my healthcare under the NHS, and I go to my doctor as part of that, but the NHS aren't part of it?

Or are you referring purely to this P2W context? I know sweet FA about how this all works.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending