The Student Room Group

Sydney university offer male only scholarship feminists are upset

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shadow Hunters
Ah yes, of course a lad on TSR knows better than the examination authorities who added these statistics into their course structures.
I mean obviously you know better than the professionals who conducted these studies and the SQA as well as other examination authorities. Would recommend you contact them to tell them the truth, sure they'll listen.

In other words, it's pretty much accepted by everyone there is a gender pay gap.

Nice appeal to authority fallacy there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah yes, of course a lad on TSR knows better than the examination authorities who added these statistics into their course structures.
I mean obviously you know better than the professionals who conducted these studies and the SQA as well as other examination authorities. Would recommend you contact them to tell them the truth, sure they'll listen.

In other words, it's pretty much accepted by everyone there is a gender pay gap.

What in the world are you chatting about? The SQA is an authority responsible for accrediting qualifications not collecting representative data on pay....and what other 'examination authorities' are you referring to?

Every year the SQA releases data on pay within its organisation....is that what you are chatting about? You are using SQA employees as an example for the pay gap? you think that their data is representative of the entire country? It is not but lets assume it is and have a look at their data.

Look at the following tables:...These are from the SQA (Scottish Qualifications Authority) Report into pay gaps within the SQA in 2013:

In order to identify any pay gaps between staff performing work of equal value, a breakdown of grades was analysed across the organisation (SQA). The data was split into full time and part time staff by grade. Grade 1 being the lowest and HoS (Head of Staff) being the highest.

Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 01.41.51.png

You are interested in the last column, which shows the female average salary as a percentage of the male average salary. SQA data for 2013, shows that for full time staff working at the SQA, women were earning more than men in most all grades and for part time staff, women were earning more than men for ALL grades with the exception of grade 1...As in SQA data shows that women working for the SQA are being paid more than men for the same job, position and number of hours worked.

Is there a limit to the BS that you feminists spew?
(edited 7 years ago)
Technically 18% now but that's still pretty rubbish.

But that's not for the same job.

It's comparing a physician consultant who has worked for 30 years and is working 50 hours a week to a waitress who's 16 and works 2 hours a week. The former position is more likely to fill up a man than a woman; the latter more likely to be a woman than a man - that's the reason why there's an overall pay gap.

When it's the same job, with the same experience and qualification, there's no pay gap in the developed world. It's not sexual discrimination to pay a nurse, who happens to be a woman, less than a surgeon, who happens to be a man.

And yes, many women work part time but many don't. And they also don't get promoted much either if they are part time I believe. Miss out on many opportunities.

Less than half of CEO's are women, likely it's much less. Considering how many women do graduate from university, it is wrong that there are barely any in leading roles.

Yes it's illegal to discriminate based on gender but it's practised often. Companies get away with it because most companies don't publish pay, most people don't talk about pay and so, many don't know they're being paid less. But they are.

Evidence?
Original post by joecphillips
So you are taking a social justice degree says it all did you ever think that maybe if you didn't take a toilet paper degree then you could help reduce the pay gap

I'm not sure if anyone's read the entirety of her/his comments....but He/She wrote that he/she basis what he/she is saying about the gender gap on studies conducted by the 'SQA' (The Scottish Qualifications Authority). The SQA is an authority that deals with accrediting qualifications and has nothing to do with collecting data on pay and he/she also mentioned 'examination authorities'. What in the hell are 'examination authorities'? lol... This is clearly someone who is a child.....but feminism is an ideology that attracts unsophisticated, primitive simpletons so its hard to tell if it is really a child or just your average feminist.

EDIT: having read her comments again....It seems she/he was talking about feminist women studies degrees that teach that there is a gender gap and using that as evidence for the gender gap....lol....damn......even more primitive than I thought...
(edited 7 years ago)

And yes, many women work part time but many don't. And they also don't get promoted much either if they are part time I believe. Miss out on many opportunities.

Less than half of CEO's are women, likely it's much less. Considering how many women do graduate from university, it is wrong that there are barely any in leading roles.

Yes it's illegal to discriminate based on gender but it's practised often. Companies get away with it because most companies don't publish pay, most people don't talk about pay and so, many don't know they're being paid less. But they are.

Women make different choices. One common such choice is to work part time. A part time worker is, in general, less suitable for promotion to more responsibility. These are facts.

When you're faced with a claim that seems so obviously stupid as the claim that employers everywhere are getting female labour at a 20% discount, you should question it.
Original post by Meridian-S
Wow we're ******* roasting this feminist scum :u:

Just because she has opposing views does not make her scum. She may be wrong or misinformed but theres no need for character attacks. All that does is lower the tone of the debate and polarises politics further

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Michael_Fishy
Just because she has opposing views does not make her scum. She may be wrong or misinformed but theres no need for character attacks. All that does is lower the tone of the debate and polarises politics further

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh when I originally wrote what I said I didn't expect so many people to reply to me. If I had I would have wrote more detailed statistics and perhaps wouldn't have said anything because it was a complete waste of time.

By replying again I ended up getting even more replies and it escalated to people implying I'm "feminist scum". Which is too far. And being happy to have "roasted" feminist scum is nothing for anyone to be proud of doing.
To be honest, I'm clearly not going to get anywhere with these people. :redface:

I didn't reply to people's comments because A- I'd made my point B- They're clearly too opinionated in their views and I am too C- Too many replies. Very time consuming and unexpected.

I also didn't want more people to see the thread as it's pretty offensive and patronising some of it IMO.

And the question on inequality towards women never showed up in the exam in the end. :colonhash:
Tbh when I originally wrote what I said I didn't expect so many people to reply to me. If I had I would have wrote more detailed statistics and perhaps wouldn't have said anything because it was a complete waste of time.

By replying again I ended up getting even more replies and it escalated to people implying I'm "feminist scum". Which is too far. And being happy to have "roasted" feminist scum is nothing for anyone to be proud of doing.
To be honest, I'm clearly not going to get anywhere with these people. :redface:

I didn't reply to people's comments because A- I'd made my point B- They're clearly too opinionated in their views and I am too C- Too many replies. Very time consuming and unexpected.

I also didn't want more people to see the thread as it's pretty offensive and patronising some of it IMO.

And the question on inequality towards women never showed up in the exam in the end. :colonhash:

Patronising because you don't have evidence to back your claim? Don't make statements you can't support..
(edited 7 years ago)

I didn't reply to people's comments because A- I'd made my point

If your point was to prove that you do not have a point, then well done. You succeeded in that endeavour.
Men enjoy a free 20% higher pay than women for doing the same job.

I hate this website sometimes...

I know what you mean, people never seem to research an repeat the same disproven nonsense

Posted from TSR Mobile

But they aren't

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CookieButter
If your point was to prove that you do not have a point, then well done. You succeeded in that endeavour.

https://fullfact.org/economy/UK_gender_pay_gap/
My point was men get paid more than women which is true in most cases.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Women make different choices. One common such choice is to work part time. A part time worker is, in general, less suitable for promotion to more responsibility. These are facts.

When you're faced with a claim that seems so obviously stupid as the claim that employers everywhere are getting female labour at a 20% discount, you should question it.

These choices aren't made in a vacuum though; more women work part time to look after children etc. because society tells them that's their role.

I haven't done enough research on the pay gap in particular to have a proper debate about it, but I don't think the "Women make different choices" argument is flawed.

But you need to look at the reason for the remaining pay gap, given that women are protected by legislation from being paid less (because they are women) than men for work of the same value.

I would suggest the main reason is that women are far more likely to take long periods away from work (or to reduce their hours worked) than men, which inevitably gives rise to them having less experience and, therefore, lower value to employers.

It certainly explains why young women earn the same as men while women in their forties don't, doesn't it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by minimarshmallow
These choices aren't made in a vacuum though; more women work part time to look after children etc. because society tells them that's their role.

Nobody's choices are made in a vacuum. That doesn't make them invalid; if it did, you'd have to deny the validity of everyone's choices all the time. I am also not convinced that these choices are influenced purely by society, rather than in some part by biology.

In either case, what most people say they want is a society in which everyone has the full range of opportunities available to them and can choose between them as they wish. I'm not particularly clear on what the rationale would be to go beyond this and try to change people's choices, or to change the framework within which they make their choices. All I can gather is that, ultimately, in this context, you have a higher proportion of women in certain jobs, e.g. in science. So what? Can you explain why this in itself should be anyone's objective?

For what it's worth my own view is that this, like much of the left's thinking at the moment, shows far too great a level of preoccupation with vague concepts of the collective wellbeing of groups and identities, and not nearly enough concern for the individuals who make up those groups and identities. If the individuals who make up the class of women aren't being denied access to opportunities, and are living as they wish to, I, and I would venture most of the population along with me, don't really see it as a problem that more individuals within that group are making a given choice than those within another group (i.e. men).

This applies whatever cultural norms form the background to women's career choices because the truth is, these days, you can perfectly well ignore them, if you want. As of right now, this is commonplace. Women who have decided to dedicate themselves entirely to their careers abound, and have as fair a crack at making it to the top of their chosen field as any given man -- given all the pressure at the moment for companies to show that they have women in senior positions, perhaps fairer. On the other hand, if you decide to slow down your career to look after children etc, ultimately that is up to you, nothing much to do with anyone else, and certainly not a cause for anyone else's concern.
Men enjoy a free 20% higher pay than women for doing the same job.

I hate this website sometimes...

You're pulling information from nowhere, if you're referring to the lower average wage of women.
In my opinion, there shouldn't be scholarships available to only men, or only women.

We should seek fairness through equality and equal opportunity, not "fairness" through segregation.
On the other hand, if you decide to slow down your career to look after children etc, ultimately that is up to you, nothing much to do with anyone else, and certainly not a cause for anyone else's concern.

Well put.
Nobody's choices are made in a vacuum. That doesn't make them invalid; if it did, you'd have to deny the validity of everyone's choices all the time. I am also not convinced that these choices are influenced purely by society, rather than in some part by biology.

In either case, what most people say they want is a society in which everyone has the full range of opportunities available to them and can choose between them as they wish. I'm not particularly clear on what the rationale would be to go beyond this and try to change people's choices, or to change the framework within which they make their choices. All I can gather is that, ultimately, in this context, you have a higher proportion of women in certain jobs, e.g. in science. So what? Can you explain why this in itself should be anyone's objective?

For what it's worth my own view is that this, like much of the left's thinking at the moment, shows far too great a level of preoccupation with vague concepts of the collective wellbeing of groups and identities, and not nearly enough concern for the individuals who make up those groups and identities. If the individuals who make up the class of women aren't being denied access to opportunities, and are living as they wish to, I, and I would venture most of the population along with me, don't really see it as a problem that more individuals within that group are making a given choice than those within another group (i.e. men).

This applies whatever cultural norms form the background to women's career choices because the truth is, these days, you can perfectly well ignore them, if you want. As of right now, this is commonplace. Women who have decided to dedicate themselves entirely to their careers abound, and have as fair a crack at making it to the top of their chosen field as any given man -- given all the pressure at the moment for companies to show that they have women in senior positions, perhaps fairer. On the other hand, if you decide to slow down your career to look after children etc, ultimately that is up to you, nothing much to do with anyone else, and certainly not a cause for anyone else's concern.

This is a great post, and a great advert for intersectionality.

The absolute problem of the left at the moment (I consider myself to be on the left) is indeed that the most emotive of their causes are too vague. Requests for evidence are met with a "look it up, it's obvious". Much of my own content on TSR champions this cause. It's unproductive.

I recommend Warren Farrell on the "pay gap", and Maajid Nawaz for general interesting discussion of the need for reform on the liberal left, from the point of view of a left-leaning liberal (as opposed to right-leaning thinkers such as Douglas Murray or Milo Yiannopoulos).
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending