The Student Room Group

Law and Criminology at Lincoln or law at York?

I've got an unconditional if I put Lincoln as my first choice. I want to get into policing after university. Would this be a good idea? or should I pick York for just law
Reply 1
Original post by Juninhoo
I've got an unconditional if I put Lincoln as my first choice. I want to get into policing after university. Would this be a good idea? or should I pick York for just law

Pick the course/university you prefer, ignoring any "unconditional" aspects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
Pick the course/university you prefer, ignoring any "unconditional" aspects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would law and criminology from Lincoln be respectable enough to pursue a career in just Law if I wanted to change paths during policing? and would the criminology aspect benefit me in policing?
Reply 3
Would law and criminology from Lincoln be respectable enough to pursue a career in just Law if I wanted to change paths during policing? and would the criminology aspect benefit me in policing?

You don't *need* an undergrad degree in law to pursue a career in law. But you would need to check how far a "Law and" course is accredited by the Law Society. Maybe ask in the Law Forum.

I don't know anything about policing, but I doubt a criminology degree is a requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
You don't *need* an undergrad degree in law to pursue a career in law. But you would need to check how far a "Law and" course is accredited by the Law Society. Maybe ask in the Law Forum.

I don't know anything about policing, but I doubt a criminology degree is a requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, appreciate the help!

You can pursue a career in law easily if its a qualifying law degree. You can check their site for that. If it isnt then you can take extra exams in the GDL, but it takes a little longer.

Depends what you mean by pursue a career in law. If you have a 2:1 in law then you can apply for where you like, but graduates from some unis tend to fare better than others. It doesnt stop you applying. there are also a large range of firms which you can apply to from MC. across to High Street.

So if you did policing then wanted to become a lawyer you could.
I can see the criminology being useful, but not essential.

You really have to go back to your original appraisal of what you believe you can get the grades for. If York is out of reach and you know it then its pointless accepting it. You might get a better idea by contact the careers department and find out where graduates from your course find employment.

Personally Id prefer an LLB from York (although I looked at their syllabus and it wasnt really the one i would choose).
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
You can pursue a career in law easily if its a qualifying law degree. You can check their site for that. If it isnt then you can take extra exams in the GDL, but it takes a little longer.

Depends what you mean by pursue a career in law. If you have a 2:1 in law then you can apply for where you like, but graduates from some unis tend to fare better than others. It doesnt stop you applying. there are also a large range of firms which you can apply to from MC. across to High Street.

So if you did policing then wanted to become a lawyer you could.
I can see the criminology being useful, but not essential.

You really have to go back to your original appraisal of what you believe you can get the grades for. If York is out of reach and you know it then its pointless accepting it. You might get a better idea by contact the careers department and find out where graduates from your course find employment.

Personally Id prefer an LLB from York (although I looked at their syllabus and it wasnt really the one i would choose).

Yeh the course is LLB law and does count as a qualifying law degree, I'm also waiting on an offer from Leeds and have an unconditional from Nottingham Trent and a conditional from Northumbria. I may take a gap year depending on how A-levels go.
Yeh the course is LLB law and does count as a qualifying law degree, I'm also waiting on an offer from Leeds and have an unconditional from Nottingham Trent and a conditional from Northumbria. I may take a gap year depending on how A-levels go.

I'm talking about the one at Lincoln.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
I'm talking about the one at Lincoln.

Yep, Lincolns course counts as a qualifying lay degree

https://www.sra.org.uk/students/courses/Qualifying-law-degree-providers.page
Yep, Lincolns course counts as a qualifying lay degree

https://www.sra.org.uk/students/courses/Qualifying-law-degree-providers.page

Then that will be fine. Ive answered all your questions anyway and it boils down to you deciding what you want to do and what you think you can achieve at A level.
York will set you up better http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf

But if you want to be a police officer I'd say don't go to uni at all

Quick Reply

Latest