The Student Room Group

Maths C2 help

Hello I am really struggling with this question, wonder could anyone solve this for me?
log6 + log(x-3) =2 log y
2y -x =3

thanks

===Moved to Maths===
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Marcus2016
Hello I am really struggling with this question, wonder could anyone solve this for me?
log6 + log(x-3) =2 log y
2y -x =3

thanks

===Moved to Maths===

I'm not going to solve it for you, but I will give you a starting step/hint:

Can you use the equation log6+log(x3)=2logy \displaystyle \log 6 + \log \left(x-3\right) = 2 \log y to express y y in terms of x x, or just an equation linking the two?

Then it's just solving simultaneous equations from C1!!
Reply 2
Original post by crashMATHS
I'm not going to solve it for you, but I will give you a starting step/hint:

Can you use the equation log6+log(x3)=2logy \displaystyle \log 6 + \log \left(x-3\right) = 2 \log y to express y y in terms of x x, or just an equation linking the two?

Then it's just solving simultaneous equations from C1!!

Thanks but when i multiply log into the bracket what does it become, is it log -3, as you can't get a negative log?
remember....

log p + log q = log pq

alog p = log {pa}
Thanks but when i multiply log into the bracket what does it become, is it log -3, as you can't get a negative log?

Oh no, you have a misunderstanding. It is generally not true that log(a+b)=log(a)+log(b) \log (a+b) = \log(a) + \log(b) . That is not how logarithms work.

What you want to be using is that: log(a)+log(b)=log(ab) \log(a) + \log(b) = \log(ab) for the left hand side. In this case, let your a=6,b=x3 a = 6 , b = x-3
Reply 5
Thanks everyone question solved :smile: I owe you one!
Reply 6
sorry to ask again but any hints for the following?

2 + log2(2x +1) =2 log2 y
x=22-y

x=22-y

2=2log2(2)2=2\log_2(2)

Then apply log rules and get rid off the logs.

x=22-y

RDKgames has suggested a nice method or you may like to rearrange the first equation to:

2log2(y)log2(2x+1)=2 \displaystyle 2 \log_2 \left(y\right) - \log_2 \left(2x+1\right) = 2 and use the rule that log(a)log(b)=log(ab) \displaystyle \log(a) - \log(b) = \log\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)
Reply 9
Thanks again!!!

Quick Reply

Latest