The Student Room Group

18 years old in 3 weeks, can I still get free braces if I inform the orthdontist now?

So here's the deal, I was offered the braces a couple times before but I turned the down because my overbite was not bad but I feel I may have sleep apnoea because I wake up on average 3 times a night and I usually wake up with my jaw hurting so I feel it after reading some stuff online I could be needing to have them now anyway. Problem is, I'm 18 in 3 weeks and I'd have to pay. Is it free if I'm inform before then?
Original post by viperkingliam
So here's the deal, I was offered the braces a couple times before but I turned the down because my overbite was not bad but I feel I may have sleep apnoea because I wake up on average 3 times a night and I usually wake up with my jaw hurting so I feel it after reading some stuff online I could be needing to have them now anyway. Problem is, I'm 18 in 3 weeks and I'd have to pay. Is it free if I'm inform before then?

If you get a referral now, no. Get on it ASAP for a chance. Braces are expensive!

I'm pretty sure you don't have to pay until you're 19, unless you're not in full time education then you'll need to pay when you turn 18. If you think you need braces then either way try and get an appointment asap.
Has anything you've read online suggested you might have temporomandibular joint disorder? Just wondering because I have it and my symptoms are similar (waking up in the night with jaw pain, mines caused by teeth grinding though)
Original post by KyleH123
If you get a referral now, no. Get on it ASAP for a chance. Braces are expensive!

Just to be clear, the no you replied with means I wouldn't have to pay? Also I plan to get my parents to ring the doctor tomorrow morning.
Just to be clear, the no you replied with means I wouldn't have to pay? Also I plan to get my parents to ring the doctor tomorrow morning.

The dentist refers you normally.

No means you won't pay, that's correct.

It will be a struggle - try and get an appointment ASAP and make sure you explain to them your situation. Bear in mind that you're going to have to:
1. Get an appointment with your dentist
2. Be referred to the orthodontist
3. Wait for the orthodontist to be available for your first consultation
4. Go to your first consultation and persuade them that you qualify for free treatment (sounds like you probably do due to toothache)
5. Get another appointment and start treatment

All in the next three weeks... Bear in mind that you have to have actually started treatment before the age of 18, not just been referred to the orthodontist. According to the NHS website, depending on where you are in the country average waiting times are 6 months to 2 years...
Original post by coucouChar1997
I'm pretty sure you don't have to pay until you're 19, unless you're not in full time education then you'll need to pay when you turn 18. If you think you need braces then either way try and get an appointment asap.
Has anything you've read online suggested you might have temporomandibular joint disorder? Just wondering because I have it and my symptoms are similar (waking up in the night with jaw pain, mines caused by teeth grinding though)

I've read that too, could be that but I'm not sure honestly
Unfortunately I don't think so. What you are proposing isn't possible in three weeks on the NHS (even if you went private the process to begin treatment takes 2-4 weeks).

You contact your dentist. They refer you to the orthodontist for a consultation. You need to be under 18 during your initial consultation for braces.

"NHS or Private? NHS Treatment is available for Children Only. Any child, aged 17 or under when they reach the top of the NHS waiting list, qualifies for a free NHS consultation. At the consultation you will be told of the treatment required and whether or not the NHS will fund this treatment.

Presently patients wait approximately 10 months for their initial consultation, however most agree that the treatment offered was well worth the wait! At the consultation they will be advised of the treatment available to correct their problem and whether or not the NHS will fund this treatment (please see ‘Will the treatment be NHS or private?’).There is then no further wait for patients who fulfill the NHS selection criteria and their treatment will commence within the next few weeks."

http://belmont-orthodontics.co.uk/faq/
(edited 7 years ago)
I've read that too, could be that but I'm not sure honestly

It might be worth seeing the doctor if it keeps you up at night, do you find it's worse when you're stressed?

"Orthodontics on the NHS Orthodontic treatment is only available at no cost on the NHS for young people under the age of 18. NHS orthodontic care is not usually available for adults, but may be approved on a case-by-case basis if needed for health reasons."

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/orthodontics/pages/accessingorthodontics.aspx

If your teeth are causing you health problems (sleep issues), you may be eligible as an adult/ 18&+ for free treatment. Speak to your doctor asap to review your sleep issues. You will need a diagnosis from a doctor before seeking a dentist.
Original post by habeas.corpus
Unfortunately I don't think so. What you are proposing isn't possible in three weeks on the NHS (even if you went private the process to begin treatment takes 2-4 weeks).

You contact your dentist. They refer you to the orthodontist for a consultation. You need to be under 18 during your initial consultation for braces.

"NHS or Private? NHS Treatment is available for Children Only. Any child, aged 17 or under when they reach the top of the NHS waiting list, qualifies for a free NHS consultation. At the consultation you will be told of the treatment required and whether or not the NHS will fund this treatment.

Presently patients wait approximately 10 months for their initial consultation, however most agree that the treatment offered was well worth the wait! At the consultation they will be advised of the treatment available to correct their problem and whether or not the NHS will fund this treatment (please see ‘Will the treatment be NHS or private?’).There is then no further wait for patients who fulfill the NHS selection criteria and their treatment will commence within the next few weeks."

http://belmont-orthodontics.co.uk/faq/

Shame, maybe that's out of my options then. I did see a person above commenting it could be a different problem so I'll get it checked out anyway and see my options
Original post by coucouChar1997
It might be worth seeing the doctor if it keeps you up at night, do you find it's worse when you're stressed?

Oh, I'll be getting it checked out regardless of it being allowed braces or not. I don't really feel stressed ever so honestly I couldn't really tell you.
Can you get braces for free after 18 once you prove that the family income is low and that shows you arw e unable to pay for it
heard this somewhere i might be wrong?
Sorry man, that ship has most definitely sailed. I was put on the waiting list for braces 2 months before I was 17, and I got them on 1 month before I was 18. The problem was I was referred when I just turned 16 so almost a total of 2 years I was waiting to actually get my braces on. Even now (I've had them on since last June), I still haven't had my bottom brace put on, I think I'll get them on the 27th of this month. But long story short, no I'd say it's borderline impossible to notify them in 2 weeks.
Original post by Anonymous
Can you get braces for free after 18 once you prove that the family income is low and that shows you arw e unable to pay for it
heard this somewhere i might be wrong?

Not true. Adults can only get braces on the NHS if their dentition is causing them health issues.

Quick Reply

Latest