The Student Room Group

Chevening Applicants 2017/2018

As I am anxiously waiting on mid February to come around to see if I have been shortlisted thought to see who else is waiting to be shortlisted?

This is my second time applying as I didn't get it last year and learnt a lot about the process and felt better prepared for this years application especially writing proper essay answers.

Last year I got into my first and second choices but unfortunately had to decline the offers after not being successful in receiving the scholarship. I have recently received offers from my 1st and 2nd choice universities. First being University of Edinburgh to study an LLM in Human Rights and the second choice being St Andrews to study an MRes in Social Anthropology. Hoping to gain an insight on other chevening alumni or current chevening experiences. Or just anyone in general who is also anxiously waiting!
Reply 1
some of the candidates from nigeria have already got the good news of interview call today.
Reply 2
Original post by Prizness
As I am anxiously waiting on mid February to come around to see if I have been shortlisted thought to see who else is waiting to be shortlisted?

This is my second time applying as I didn't get it last year and learnt a lot about the process and felt better prepared for this years application especially writing proper essay answers.

Last year I got into my first and second choices but unfortunately had to decline the offers after not being successful in receiving the scholarship. I have recently received offers from my 1st and 2nd choice universities. First being University of Edinburgh to study an LLM in Human Rights and the second choice being St Andrews to study an MRes in Social Anthropology. Hoping to gain an insight on other chevening alumni or current chevening experiences. Or just anyone in general who is also anxiously waiting!

Wouldyou explain more about your failed experience? I have applied for Chevening from different country and I have no idea what I have to do for the interview, if they put my name on the shortlist.
Reply 3
Original post by r rahman
some of the candidates from nigeria have already got the good news of interview call today.

Oh wow! That's interesting some people are already finding out :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Sitana88
Wouldyou explain more about your failed experience? I have applied for Chevening from different country and I have no idea what I have to do for the interview, if they put my name on the shortlist.

I did feel disappointed I didn't make the shortlist of people to receive a scholarship considering I received offers from really good universities and realised how competitive it really is. I reflected on what I needed to focus on for this application round to make it stand out more. I also read other posts from people online where people applied 2 or more times before they actually received it. So I guess the key is to not give up! All the best with your application :smile:
I just got their email last night saying that I was shortlisted for interview in April. :smile:
This is my 2nd time of application. Last time, I have not been selected for the interview.
I recycled most of my essay questions from last time but revised my motivation letter and career plans essay.
I think it is really important to emphasize how you will be able to help your community, as well as the UK, by having a UK education.
It is also important to have clear and feasible future plans.

Does anyone know how many candidates are usually shortlisted for the interview? Any tips?
Reply 6
Original post by riverdance
I just got their email last night saying that I was shortlisted for interview in April. :smile:
This is my 2nd time of application. Last time, I have not been selected for the interview.
I recycled most of my essay questions from last time but revised my motivation letter and career plans essay.
I think it is really important to emphasize how you will be able to help your community, as well as the UK, by having a UK education.
It is also important to have clear and feasible future plans.

Does anyone know how many candidates are usually shortlisted for the interview? Any tips?

Congrats! That's awesome you made the shortlist. I have the exact same thoughts about the essay answers. It's my second time applying but I find the calibre of people they're searching for is really high. It's more so the British embassies in each nation that determine who get picked. I've noticed on the Chevening Facebook page that many countries have been shortlisted. I am still under review. Although I am hopeful, my determination to hang in there is slowly diminishing as I've seen many people who have been notified of their Success making the shortlist. I'm so desperate to make the shortlist! I saw some people who made the shortlist last year didn't even make the shortlist this year. I wish you all the best during the interview round! If you search google the interview process people have added their experiences about what it's like :smile:
Reply 7
Hello guys,

I have noticed that some have gotten through to next stage of interview and while some are desperately waiting for their turns. May I know, if anyone has been to interview and mind to share some insights. My interview is in Mid April too.
Reply 8
Hey I got rejected by one of my choices, but there doesn't seem to be a way to notify this, the drop-down menu only allows for: yes applied and waiting for decision, yes applied and received conditional/unconditional offer, and no haven't applied. Does anyone know how to proceed?
Reply 9
I am anxious as well. I won't get to know if I am short listed or not until mid Feb as well. :frown: This is my first time applying to chevening, but I've failed a few other scholarships before (Australian Awards, Erasmus+ joint degree, etc. Only got as far as reserve list in Erasmus). I already hold offers from all three choices and my essays for chevening were better prepared, but still. I am afraid to be hopeful. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending