The Student Room Group

At what point would you consider yourself a Scientist?

As the title asks, at what point educationally would you say someone should be considered a scientist? Is it when they are awarded a PhD within the discipline or when they get a BSc or simply when you're conducting your own experiment for self discovery.

What do you think personally?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CTLevers
As the title asks, at what point educationally would you say someone should be considered a scientist? Is it when they are awarded a PhD within the discipline or when they get a BSc or simply when you're conducting your own experiment for self discovery.

Not sure about Bio/chem, but I know Physics specifically requires a Master's to be a Chartered Physicist. So...I guess Master's?
Reply 2

I'd say at least at an MSc level.
when i write down a hypothesisssssss
Reply 4
Original post by S2M
I'd say at least at an MSc level.

I'd say you're a scientist after BSc level. You are after all a Bachelor of Science, but I guess at MSc level you are more experienced in research methodology rather than just learning the facts.

According to bigwig scientists on Quora (which like a more academic and mature version of Reddit), they consider one a scientist after they've graduated with a PhD.
I'd say you're a scientist after BSc level. You are after all a Bachelor of Science, but I guess at MSc level you are more experienced in research methodology rather than just learning the facts.

MSc degrees can be entirely taught with no research, it varies heavily by subject and uni
I'd say once a person starts to practise science rather than simply study it. Being a scientist is a career. Somebody with an degree in accounting isn't an accountant unless they're employed as one, right?
Definitely PhD. I'm doing a physics degree and there's no way I consider myself a scientist.
I'd say if you're conducting original research then, that's the point you can maybe consider yourself a scientist? Perhaps MSc/mres material, definitely phd and post doc level.

Like somebody above said, MSc could be entirely taught and your project/dissertation not particularly original.

I'm still undergrad, and I'm doing 'original' research and if I make enough progress and I can do something with my data; I've been invited to co author a paper over summer after I graduate with my lecturer.

Having said that, I still don't feel like a scientist. I just don't know enough. I'd agree with the above guys saying that you're a scientist when you're doing it for a living, or at least regularly practicing outside of the normal scope of just trying to pass exams.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
[QUOTE=hezzlington;70063816. I'd agree with the above guys saying that you're a scientist when you're doing it for a living, or at least regularly practicing outside of the normal scope of just trying to pass exams.

I agree but being devil's advocate, would you say scientists who have retired and no longer conduct original research themselves and therefore no longer technically employed as a scientist, lose the "title"?
I think if you've got your Masters and you're studying for your PhD then you're probably a 'scientist'. It depends though - you can be more accomplished and competent than someone who's more qualified than you on paper.
I agree but being devil's advocate, would you say scientists who have retired and no longer conduct original research themselves and therefore no longer technically employed as a scientist, lose the "title"?

Yeah I guess so :dontknow:

If I retired from a career in academia/science, I'd say "I was a scientist".
Wait, so you mean having a BA in Japanese DOESN'T make me Japanese? :moon:
I would say someone engaged in research.

The problem with using a PhD as a requirement is it would exclude say the lab manager with considerable scientific expertise, several decades of experience and with their name on a few dozen papers.
When you're doing new research or contributing to existing research to advance the field.
Reply 16

Yeah that's true to be honest, that's what a lot of people say.
Obtaining a PhD involves original research that adds to knowledge. By your definition, someone with a PhD is automatically a scientist.
When you can handle electricity in a seemingly dangerous manner to impress people.
Original post by Redefine
When you can handle electricity in a seemingly dangerous manner to impress people.

Isn't there a youtuber that specifically does this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending