The Student Room Group

Study: Islamic fundamentalism is not a marginal phenomenon in Europe

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
TL;DR.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Islamophobic "researcher" publishes an article in a smear campaign against muslims.

Disgusting.

Among West European Muslim communities, almost 60% agree that Muslims should return to the roots of Islam, 75% think there is only one interpretation of the Koran possible to which every Muslim should stick and 65% say that religious rules are more important to them than the laws of the country in which they live. Consistent fundamentalist beliefs, with agreement to all three statements, are found among 44% of the interviewed Muslims. Fundamentalist attitudes are slightly less prevalent among Sunni Muslims with a Turkish (45% agreement to all three statements) compared to a Moroccan (50%) background.

Against the idea that fundamentalism is a reaction to exclusion by the host society, we find the lowest levels of fundamentalism in Germany, where Muslims enjoy fewer religious rights than in any of the other five countries, with 30% agreeing to all three statements. 47% of German Muslims agreed with the statement that following the rules of one’s religion is more important than democracy/

The results of regression analyses controlling for education, labour market status, age, gender, and marital status reveal that while some of these variables explain variation in fundamentalism within both religious groups, they do not at all explain or even diminish the difference between Muslims and Christians. Fundamentalist attitudes are as widespread among young as among older Muslims.

Almost 60% reject homosexuals as friends and 45% think that Jews cannot be trusted. While about one in five natives can be considered as Islamophobic, the level of phobia against the West among Muslims is much higher still, with 54% believing that the West is out to destroy Islam. These findings concord with the fact that, as a 2006 study of the Pew research institute showed, about half of the Muslims living in France, Germany, and the United Kingdom believe that the attacks of 9/11 were not carried out by Muslims, but were orchestrated by the West and/or Jews.

These findings clearly contradict the often-heard claim that Islamic religious fundamentalism is a marginal phenomenon in Western Europe or that it does not differ from the extent of fundamentalism among the Christian majority.

https://phys.org/news/2015-01-islamic-fundamentalism-marginal-phenomenon-europe.html

https://www.wzb.eu/en/press-release/islamic-fundamentalism-is-widely-spread

Wow, extremely disturbing stuff if true. Culturally, people need to be opposed to Islam as an ideology. I feel that sympathising with Islam and treating the Occident as some powerhouse of greed, decadence, and evil really helps to normalise the belligerent views of many Muslims.
And this is why I oppose Islam. Not because of some fear of "omg they are all going to kills us", but because the ideology is backwards and incompatible with our values.
Tbh, does it really matter if the ideology is incompatible with "our values"? They can't do much, if they are only 5-15% of the population.

But in other thread you were saying whites would become a minority in the uk, and we'd be overrun by muslims

Posted from TSR Mobile
so a researcher publishes "facts" (I dont know if these are true) that show that many muslims are homophobic, racist, sexist and more and its not the muslims that are the problem its the reporrter Riiiiight. and yes whites becoming a minority is a problem and islamic ideology is a threat to the world
Reply 6
Hang on a minute, a researcher interested in what Muslims think is slightly distributed hearing most of them report back as being homophobic, sexist, racist and against most of the liberal foundations of our modern world?

And it's all his fault?
Original post by yudothis
And this is why I oppose Islam. Not because of some fear of "omg they are all going to kills us", but because the ideology is backwards and incompatible with our values.

This.

We should not be allowing immigration from people who share beliefs which are incompatible with western values.

You wouldn't allow someone into your house if they believed you should be killed for who you are so why let them in your country?

If politicians don't start listening to people on this then there will be a Donald Trump or worse in power in every European nation within the next 5 years.
Tbh, does it really matter if the ideology is incompatible with "our values"? They can't do much, if they are only 5-15% of the population.

Disagree with that. They can create enough tension. They can live in a shadow world. They tend to have higher birth rates. Not to mention you are arguing for creating a situation where you have one minority with mutual disdain for the majority. Surely not a good situation, or?
Well, perhaps the majority could stop alienating them.

I think that is a mutual occurrence.
Well, perhaps the majority could stop alienating them.

Why?

Why should the Western majority make any allowance for an alien culture they didn't invite to the West, an alien culture they do not want in the West.?
Because they did invite them into the West. Or rather, their politicians did, but the Western majority elected them.

Interesting.

Or rather, their politicians did, but the Western majority elected them.

So, all of those decrying the Iraq war as "not in my name" are wrong, and they are responsible for the Iraq war.

Or.

Anyone who voted in the last GE is responsible for everything the current Tory government do,as they elected them.

There'll be a lot of tear stained Che tshirts when you tell the SJW wing that!
That is how democracy works. I don't agree with it, but apparently democracy is a "fundamental Western value"... but hey, not in my name!

Prevaricating......

Unless you have never voted in which case, fair enough.

Have you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending