The Student Room Group

Being nice is worthless

So I always try and be nice to everyone, but I don't have any friends that would miss me if I stopped talking to them and I've never got anywhere with a girl. I think that really all that matters is if you're fun and happy, you can be a funny and horrible and still get friends but if you're nice but awkward noone gives a ****, especially girls
Horrible people have horrible friends. Like attracts like.

Going by your vague post then if you are nice then your friends may well be better than you think.
Reply 2
Yes, but being nice to girls does not mean you are entitled to 'getting somewhere with a girl'. Once you stop having this impression that a girl is obliged to start fancying you because you are a 'nice guy', then you might start to get somewhere. Don't put girls on pedestals.

Thread is rather ambiguous though, needs more context.
(edited 7 years ago)
No s.hit sherlock
you may like to define friendship and what it means to you. i talk to lots of people regularly but my close friends can be counted on one hand. those are the elite who i know are loyal. quality beats quantity in my book
I can relate .. but with the other sex
Original post by Anonymous
I can relate .. but with the other sex

what is the problem with that? rather than seeing them as different sexes, look at everyone as people. what they look like is not important when it comes to friends. who they are counts, not what they are!
Define 'nice'?

Like what do you do that makes you 'nice'?

But yeah, being 'nice' alone isn't enough these days. But you gotta build up on that, cause the nice guy persona nowadays is too cliched.
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't be too nice to women. You'll get it thrown back in your face. They will always try to make themselves the victim and in their heads they will find a way to justify their behaviour so that you are the one to blame. Not all women just I want you to be wary.
Its good to be nice, but not to the point you become a pushover in every aspect of your life.
Be yourself, dont try to be nice.
People can see when you're pretending to be like someone you're not.

A true selfless person is nice because they want to be not because they want something in return
Original post by TheFirstOrder
Its good to be nice, but not to the point you become a pushover in every aspect of your life.

And this is exactly my problem. They (people who I thought were my friends) then turn nasty if I start telling them no. I then realise who my real friends are. I can count on one hand who my true friends are.
Clickbait title m8.
Original post by Anonymous
So I always try and be nice to everyone, but I don't have any friends that would miss me if I stopped talking to them and I've never got anywhere with a girl. I think that really all that matters is if you're fun and happy, you can be a funny and horrible and still get friends but if you're nice but awkward noone gives a ****, especially girls

As I've got older I have found that the opposite is more and more true. If you're nice people see that and will stick with you. If you're not nice, people see through you really quickly.

I know it's difficult if you're a bit shy and a bit awkward, but things do get better as you get older and you feel more comfortable with people.

And the truth is, almost everyone feels a bit awkward most of the time. I know I do.

I'm sure your friends would miss you a lot if you stopped talking to them. It's hard to know how much people really like you but if they hang out with you at all, they do so for a reason :smile:
Original post by Captain Jack
As I've got older I have found that the opposite is more and more true.

I think so as well. Garry Shandling, recently dead and likely unknown to the young uns on here, said rightly that "whoever thinks nice guys finish last doesn't know where the finish line is".

Said Henry James, because I can as well do high culture, yes, "Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind".
Original post by cambio wechsel
I think so as well. Garry Shandling, recently dead and likely unknown to the young uns on here, said rightly that "whoever thinks nice guys finish last doesn't know where the finish line is".

Said Henry James, because I can as well do high culture, yes, "Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind".

Perfect :h: I've always found that being nice works better.

If you're nice, you attract other nice people - so you end up working with and being friends with nice people. I know what I'd prefer.
That's ********. If you're too mean lifes even worse. But Yeh Nice people can be boring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending