The Student Room Group

Do you think Theresa May has been a good or bad Prime Minister?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zayn008
I agree with this but that doesnt mean we can go on without them, so there's some leverage but it can't be a "give us what we want or your doomed" because we'd also be doomed...

Actually, we can.

This is why Theresa May has been doing such an excellent job so far. She's told Juncker and his lot "This is what we want, take it or leave it".

That's why she's kept the cards close to her hand so she can play them (the EU). The EU knows we can go it alone.
Too early to tell, but I think she's doing a good job so far. She clearly wants to do what's best for Britain, or at least what she can considering the circumstances. I think going for a hard Brexit is the right thing to do, the last few PMs we've had have pissed about too much for too long regarding issues that affect the country as a whole and it's refreshing to see our PM taking action in a well-meaning way.
I think she's been decent with Brexit, the way she's approached a hard brexit is the right way to do it imo.
Although I can sense the curb in workers rights and the Snoopers Charter 2: Electric Boogaloo incoming once we leave :lol:
Reply 23
Original post by k4l397
I think she has done an awful job so far. Without having a reasonable mandate to do so, she is pushing for a extremely hard brexit. Leave may have won the vote but many of them didn't want to leave the single market, she is also forgetting the other 50% of the country didn't want to leave the EU at all, let alone the single market. If this was something that was clearly proposed before the EU referendum then it'd be understandable but simply it wasn't.

Even if it wasn't reiterated enough by leave. We were constantly told my Cameron and co that a vote to leave was a vote to leave the single market and custom union. We were also told to expect the end of western civilization and WW3.
WE still VOTED LEAVE. We were expecting a HARD BREXIT!!!
Am I the only one who thinks it's appalling she's Prime Minister as she wasn't democratically voted in? Yes? Okay.
She's had a pretty awful legacy of Cameron's ridiculous screw up in holding a referendum to deal with - but she's then proceeded to make things worse, by promoting the idiocy of a hard Brexit and the inevitably disastrous (for the economy and people of Britain) departure from the Single Market.

She's doing this not because she believes in it herself, but because she is obsessed with the tribalism of Tory politics, she is petrified of her ridiculous europhobe backbenchers and the big financial interests who stand behind them and because she prefers to side with the mainly offshore oligarchs who want Britain out, rather than the people's interests. She is petrified of the pathetic Farage and his gang of halfwits and she acts as if they hold all the cards. She is entering the negotiations having already decided that there is no point negotiating. She promoted Boris, one of the worst political hypocrites of our times to be in charge of them.

All this time, whilst presiding over what will be a major downturn in our fortunes, she sounds as if all is well, as if she is a caring, compassionate leader, with all our interests close to her heart. In reality, she is as far as I can tell, hopelessly out of her depth, almost unbelievably clueless and incompetent and potentially (and this is saying something) actually a worst Prime Minister than David Cameron was.

None of this would be happening if Labour could get its act together and particularly if Hilary Benn had had the courage to stand as leader.
Original post by Ladbants
How do you think she has performed on the job so far?

Not noticed her much yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ShannyMorrison
Am I the only one who thinks it's appalling she's Prime Minister as she wasn't democratically voted in? Yes? Okay.

you don't vote in the prime minister though...
Original post by Lauren1498x
you don't vote in the prime minister though...

I shall rephrase then - we did not get the chance to re-elect. When the election was running we knew who we would be getting, we should have been given that opportunity again. It wasn't run democratically either way.
I shall rephrase then - we did not get the chance to re-elect. When the election was running we knew who we would be getting, we should have been given that opportunity again. It wasn't run democratically either way.

should we have though? do you think we should have had an election right after Brexit??
should we have though? do you think we should have had an election right after Brexit??

In all honesty I don't think Brexit was done at the right time so I'm the wrong person to ask, especially because I'm one of those Scots who voted to remain.
In all honesty I don't think Brexit was done at the right time so I'm the wrong person to ask, especially because I'm one of those Scots who voted to remain.

so it doesn't matter she wasn't democratically voted in then? i'm just confused by your point that's all
Original post by Dodgypirate
The Leave campaign was very clear: Leave EU and leave single market.

I'm sick and tired of hearing Remainers claim it was never in the agreement to leave the single market, when it was.

[video]https://youtu.be/0xGt3QmRSZY[/video]

Yep, very clear indeed.
so it doesn't matter she wasn't democratically voted in then? i'm just confused by your point that's all

What I mean by that is I feel like there should have been a re-election but that my opinion wasn't necessarily the right one because I'm biased more than anything. I'm not one of those people who thinks 'my opinion is right and the only one that matters'. A re-election would have been best for me and people like me, but not necessarily for the rest of the country.
What I mean by that is I feel like there should have been a re-election but that my opinion wasn't necessarily the right one because I'm biased more than anything. I'm not one of those people who thinks 'my opinion is right and the only one that matters'. A re-election would have been best for me and people like me, but not necessarily for the rest of the country.

Fair enough! Do you think that would have changed much?
Fair enough! Do you think that would have changed much?

If it did I won't lie to you, it would be out of that whole momentary passion that tends to fade within a few weeks. For a 'long' time (three weeks) up here in Scotland everyone was getting psyched for IndyRef2 because we'd been 'lied to' and this 'wasn't what we were promised if we remained in the UK' but now it's gone. All the fuel has died out. It would have had to have happened as soon as the Brexit vote was cast to have any meaning.
Very good so far.

She's had a rather uneventful first six months as she has developed her own thoughts yielding the white papers released recently however she has also done almost nothing wrong and on the key issue (Brexit) she has given a nearly right answer (leave the ECJ and customs union).

I prefer Cameron but on the whole i'm glad she's PM.
Reply 37
I just wish we had a better opposition who could actually hold her accountable to the more immediate concerns for Britain like the under funded NHS and the inadequate social care and housing. Seems like she's just leaving it to each the councils which is going to result in a **** show as it always is with councils. She appears to be a bit glib compared to Cameron, not somebody who enthuses me in politics. Apart from that she seems to be in control and competent from what I've read. I put okay on the poll :tongue:
Original post by Dodgypirate
The Leave campaign was very clear: Leave EU and leave single market.

I'm sick and tired of hearing Remainers claim it was never in the agreement to leave the single market, when it was.

Those 'working people' you talk about also knew we'd leave the single market, and definitely want(ed) to leave it.

It was not just a question of reducing immigration, it was controlling it.

In reference to foreign students coming to the UK, a lot just come here for the education and then leave to work abroad.

Well that's just patently false. Boris Johnson, one of the key figures within the Leave campaign, openly declared we would retain access to the single market (i.e. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36270203) as did several other key Leave campaigners i.e. Daniel Hannan, Farage etc.

Even if they did campaign on the promise of leaving the single market, which they did not, I can't see how that would be a positive since most agree free trade is a net benefit for Britain's economy?

Some foreign students may leave to work abroad, yes, but making it more difficult for them to stay will hardly alleviate that problem, will it? We should be doing our best to encourage the best foreign students to stay and work in the UK, which is precisely what May's proposals have failed to achieve.
Again, even if many foreign students come for the education and then leave, I hardly see how that's a problem to British society? Foreign students pay higher tuition fees, typically show greater initiative in their studies on coming from abroad, and if we want our universities to compete with the best in the world, we shouldn't limit their cohort to only the narrow remit of the UK population. (Especially since world-leading universities around the world i.e. the Ivy League pride themselves on their international appeal).

Do you think barring child refugees from entering the UK is a good idea then?
Original post by Bsola
Even if it wasn't reiterated enough by leave. We were constantly told my Cameron and co that a vote to leave was a vote to leave the single market and custom union. We were also told to expect the end of western civilization and WW3.
WE still VOTED LEAVE. We were expecting a HARD BREXIT!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/open-britain-video-single-market-nigel-farage-anna-soubry_uk_582ce0a0e4b09025ba310fce
I don't think it was reiterated at all by leave that voting leave meant leaving the single market. In fact the leave campaign made it very clear that leaving wouldn't mean that and I believe that a lot of people voted leave believing that. No clear plan was presented to leave the single market even if individual campaigners may have mentioned it, in fact no plan for brexit was ever presented at all - which makes me question why on earth there hasn't been greater parliamentary scrutiny before voting to trigger article 50.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending