The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Banterny
Thanks a lot!! Edinburgh, Newcastle, Oxford and Notts. I've got an interview from Newcastle.

How did the BMAT go?
Went ok. 5.2, 5.7 3.5A. 9A*1A at GCSE. What do U reckon!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3783113&page=176

This is a BMAT Thread g. Check it out! ^^^

Also should be good for Oxford man!
Original post by RealLifeEducator
Also should be good for Oxford man!

really? hope so man!! thanks for the thread
For anyone looking for UKCAT advice check out my blog for tips :smile:
Www.scrubsnstilettos.wordpress.com

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can Someone plaese explain to me how the UKCAT works??
Are you allowed to do it this year if you are going to apply to medicine next year and if you get a low score this year, can you do the UKCAT again next year?
Original post by sweet19
Can Someone plaese explain to me how the UKCAT works??
Are you allowed to do it this year if you are going to apply to medicine next year and if you get a low score this year, can you do the UKCAT again next year?

UKCAT is only valid for the year in which you took it. If you apply for medicine for 2018 entry, you must sit the UKCAT in the Summer/Autumn of 2017.
You can sit it again next year, yes.
Original post by jemmaaa0853
UKCAT is only valid for the year in which you took it. If you apply for medicine for 2018 entry, you must sit the UKCAT in the Summer/Autumn of 2017.
You can sit it again next year, yes.

Thank You
Original post by MoMoS
hi guys, I know this may be a little nosy but I wanted to ask how people did in the UKCAT for the 2017 entry?

Hi mo congrats I'm from cuc
I need help with
Ukcat how long do you revise and the in verbal reasoning do you read the question first
[QUOTE="gemss;70011876"]
Original post by MoMoS
hi guys, I know this may be a little nosy but I wanted to ask how people did in the UKCAT for the 2017 entry?

I need help with
Ukcat how long do you revise and the in verbal reasoning do you read the question first

People tend to revise for 2 weeks or so before the exam. For VR do not read the passage but do read the question and skim read to look for keywords in question then quickly read that section. Make sure to answer all questions even if it means guessing
Reply 7811
[QUOTE="gemss;70011876"]
Original post by MoMoS

I need help with

Hey there, we usually recommend to our students that they prepare and practice for about 2 hours a day in the 4 weeks leading up to the UKCAT.

I completely agree with the other response to your question about vr, you do not have to read the whole passage. Always start by reading the question and identify high yield keywords (ideally integral and specific to the question, if they have capital letters or numbers then they are easier to find). Then skim the passage for your keywords to lead you to the answer.

Let us know if you have any more questions 🙂

Alex, 4th year UCL medic

Posted from TSR Mobile
For people applying to medicine this year through UCAS, what sections are there going to be in the UKCAT?
I am in year 12 so I am entering in 2018 but several sources have shown different sections. What is happening to decision making/analysis?
Thank you!
Also a section I struggle with is AR (Abstract reasoning) because finding patterns in some structures seem quite difficult or even looking at the bigger picture.
I personally find the SJT alright as long as you understand medical ethics and apply it well. QR is decent provided you can work well and handle numbers alright.
IT's just the timing which significantly changes the playing field. But practise is the only way to adapt to that I guess.
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
For people applying to medicine this year through UCAS, what sections are there going to be in the UKCAT?
I am in year 12 so I am entering in 2018 but several sources have shown different sections. What is happening to decision making/analysis?
Thank you!
Also a section I struggle with is AR (Abstract reasoning) because finding patterns in some structures seem quite difficult or even looking at the bigger picture.
I personally find the SJT alright as long as you understand medical ethics and apply it well. QR is decent provided you can work well and handle numbers alright.
IT's just the timing which significantly changes the playing field. But practise is the only way to adapt to that I guess.

Best of luck with your application :smile:
Decision making was a new section which was trialled in 2016. I have no clue whether they will be implementing it fully for the 2017 exam, but i'm sure they will indicate this closer to the exam.
Abstract Reasoning is all about practice - just do hundreds of questions over and over again and your brain starts to notice the patterns like second instinct. It sometimes also helps to write down all the patterns you miss on an A3 sheet, and look at them all before you go to bed.
Original post by Mudas
Best of luck with your application :smile:
Decision making was a new section which was trialled in 2016. I have no clue whether they will be implementing it fully for the 2017 exam, but i'm sure they will indicate this closer to the exam.
Abstract Reasoning is all about practice - just do hundreds of questions over and over again and your brain starts to notice the patterns like second instinct. It sometimes also helps to write down all the patterns you miss on an A3 sheet, and look at them all before you go to bed.

Thank you for the reply!! So as of now, the sections are QR,AR,VR and SJ?
I'll definitely try those techniques for different questions to get more confident with it!
Thank you for the reply!! So as of now, the sections are QR,AR,VR and SJ?
I'll definitely try those techniques for different questions to get more confident with it!

The sections won't be confirmed until much near testing opening. Keep an eye on the UKCAT website from about May.

There isn't much point starting now. You would be much better off focusing on school until Summer!
Original post by ForestCat
The sections won't be confirmed until much near testing opening. Keep an eye on the UKCAT website from about May.

There isn't much point starting now. You would be much better off focusing on school until Summer!

Ah right thank you! I just do like 10 minutes a day to a few questions just to familiarise myself. :smile:
Ah right thank you! I just do like 10 minutes a day to a few questions just to familiarise myself. :smile:

You'll run out of resources way before your exam. There really isn't point starting this early. If you're that desperate to do things, practice (quick) reading comprehension and mental maths.
Original post by ForestCat
You'll run out of resources way before your exam. There really isn't point starting this early. If you're that desperate to do things, practice (quick) reading comprehension and mental maths.

I see, I didn't know resources were a big issue as I've seen many with lots of questions and other resources such as Medify etc. But when you have a whole month, it's understandable that you can run out of resources! Then I'll probably save the resources I bought and use them when the tests are near. :smile:
Although I'm pretty good at cognitive stuff, I like to over-prepare for some reason
Thank you!
I see, I didn't know resources were a big issue as I've seen many with lots of questions and other resources such as Medify etc. But when you have a whole month, it's understandable that you can run out of resources! Then I'll probably save the resources I bought and use them when the tests are near. :smile:
Although I'm pretty good at cognitive stuff, I like to over-prepare for some reason
Thank you!

You won't run out of resources. There's plenty. I know someone who started preparing almost a whole year before. The key thing is to practise with timing. There's no point doing lots of questions if you can't manage to do them quickly. Practise doing questions with a time limit and don't worry about running out. The key thing with these exams is practise. The more the better. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending