The Student Room Group

How is everyone finding the new 9-1 Maths GCSE

Scroll to see replies

This might sound cocky but I don't necessarily think the new system for maths is making it harder.

I am in yr 12 but I compared a lot of the questions that some yr 11s I know are doing and compared to what the previous yr 11s were doing before the new system and nothing is really different. Maths is maths it's not going to change.

However, having said that I know some people naturally struggle with maths and exams so sorry if this post sounds ignorant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anonomon
Has anyone done the Edexcel specimen papers set ???

yeah i have. did them beginning of january.
i actually just feel sad. im finding it kind of hard, but i want to do it for a-level and im gonna need it to be at grade 6/7 and above for some schools i wanna get into. at the moment, the only way im revising is through doing papers on mathsgenie.com and by doing past papers.
Original post by bushrabari
yeah i have. did them beginning of january.

Have you done set 1 or the specific mock set ???
Original post by kawaii sashimi
i actually just feel sad. im finding it kind of hard, but i want to do it for a-level and im gonna need it to be at grade 6/7 and above for some schools i wanna get into. at the moment, the only way im revising is through doing papers on mathsgenie.com and by doing past papers.

What did you get in the mocks?
Very easy but due to mathematical interest. I'd say:
This GCSE << Core 1 << A level

The 'A Level' included topics are the easy ones i.e. iteration.
I got 100% in the GCSE AQA Mocks.
If anybody wants any help on a topic, just add me on Skype (alithearabkid)
I can help with tuition if you guys want. Just add me and let me know you're from TSR.
Original post by Antigonus
What did you get in the mocks?

i got a 'D' . mu school doesnt convert the grades to 9-1 after we do tests, so i have no idea what that is on a 9-1 scale. i used to get B's, but ive recently found that im struggling. However, my teachers still predict that im going to get something near to a B in the real gcse. i however, dont think so.
Original post by thekidwhogames
I got 100% in the GCSE AQA Mocks.
If anybody wants any help on a topic, just add me on Skype (alithearabkid)
I can help with tuition if you guys want. Just add me and let me know you're from TSR.

Accept it.
Ive only done the set 2 papers and ive got some mocks coming up....
Would it be easy to upload pictures of the set 1, or not really ????

I don't have them. but use https://youtu.be/awauMz4soQ8 he's really good. he does the new maths gcse papers
Original post by sarahyi
I don't have them. but use https://youtu.be/awauMz4soQ8 he's really good. he does the new maths gcse papers

thank you! !
Original post by _b_e_n_
got a 5 in the mocks... need a 6 in the real thing or i'm screwed :frown:

You will be fine you are only a grade away from your targeted grade if you keep up the revision you will get that grade plus they are only mocks you have room for improvement, I however am finding it difficult, may target grade for school is a 7 and i've been getting high 4's and mid 5's, there's just something about it i just can't do.
For hegartymaths did you go over the playlist he has made for the higher papers.
Have you done set 1 or the specific mock set ???

set 1
Could anyone clarify the new grading system of 1-9 for me? I'm in Year 9 and I don't really want to miss out on anything that is due to come in the following years. Also, do you personally believe that the 1-9 system justifies your achievements/ grades better than the A*- F system?
Reply 75
Original post by RandomStudent_
Could anyone clarify the new grading system of 1-9 for me? I'm in Year 9 and I don't really want to miss out on anything that is due to come in the following years. Also, do you personally believe that the 1-9 system justifies your achievements/ grades better than the A*- F system?

What do you need clarifying?

Grades C, B, A and A* correspond roughly to grades 4/5, 6, 7 and 8/9. You could think of grade 9 as a grade above A*, so if you like it corresponds to an A** (which doesn't exist).
(edited 7 years ago)
We got our results for the Edexcel mocks today and were told that the grade boundary for a 9 was 151+
Reply 77
Original post by NateRiver
We got our results for the Edexcel mocks today and were told that the grade boundary for a 9 was 151+

If you did three 80 mark papers then your school has set the grade 9 boundary too low by a long way.
Original post by notnek
If you did three 80 mark papers then your school has set the grade 9 boundary too low by a long way.

^ this. Although we can't give an accurate estimate yet, 63% is unrealistically low.
Original post by notnek

Yeah our teacher doesn't believe these boundaries are good but it has been based on the results of all the participants in these mocks. Seems that they were found to be quite difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest