Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham College Allocation Thread - 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jessm8
Thank you this helped I found I got Van Mildert not sure if that's good or not

It depends what you wanted from your college. I can tell you bits and pieces about Van Mildert if you'd like? I stayed there for a week in the summer.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by Gold-Confetti
It depends what you wanted from your college. I can tell you bits and pieces about Van Mildert if you'd like? I stayed there for a week in the summer.

Yes can you tell me a bit about it. I put in an open application so wasn't too fussed about what I got thank you!
Original post by jessm8
Yes can you tell me a bit about it. I put in an open application so wasn't too fussed about what I got thank you!

Ah right! Well, it's on the hill so it's fairly modern. About a 5-10 min walk away from the uni library and the hill departments. Has a lake and ducks which is cute. The hall is huge and a bit abstract (wood panelled and pictures of ducks everywhere) the food is pretty good. Accommodation is alright. Mostly single but only one block is ensuite and the showers for the rest are these weird cubicle things, but it's not too bad. It's nice when done up for a formal hall. Bar is a bit crappy looking and the JCR isn't the best either, but all in all, it's a decent college :smile:
Where did you get the residential open day visit invitation from?
Heyy I've been allocated to Grey :h::h:
Original post by mywhitedog
Where did you get the residential open day visit invitation from?

it will be in an email from the admissions team, but for the sake of quickness, heres the link to the page.
http://www.durham.ac.uk/postofferinvite
Reply 46
Ah right! Well, it's on the hill so it's fairly modern. About a 5-10 min walk away from the uni library and the hill departments. Has a lake and ducks which is cute. The hall is huge and a bit abstract (wood panelled and pictures of ducks everywhere) the food is pretty good. Accommodation is alright. Mostly single but only one block is ensuite and the showers for the rest are these weird cubicle things, but it's not too bad. It's nice when done up for a formal hall. Bar is a bit crappy looking and the JCR isn't the best either, but all in all, it's a decent college :smile:

That's really helpful is there a lot of choice for food or is it fairly basic like what types of meals were there when you stayed?
it will be in an email from the admissions team, but for the sake of quickness, heres the link to the page.
http://www.durham.ac.uk/postofferinvite

Thanks!!! I got into castle omg I'm so happy!
Original post by jessm8
That's really helpful is there a lot of choice for food or is it fairly basic like what types of meals were there when you stayed?

When I was there it was generally 3 meals a day.
Breakfast was either a full english or cereal. Toast and stuff was on offer too.

Dinner was usually like 3 options. Ie one veggie option, one pasta or something and one something else. Generally served burgers or chicken or something with chips or rice or something else and an option off veggies with all. Not exactly restaurant standard but it was mostly nice. Always have fruit and yoghurts on the go.

Tea was sort of along the same lines, but richer. If that makes sense? So heavier food like a beef dinner or curry. And there was usually an option of cake or something for pudding at tea as well.

All in all, not bad. Formal hall was soup, a roast beef dinner with roasties and veg, and raspberry sorbet cheesecake I believe!
It's pretty basic food but it does taste nice enough :smile: Grey's was pretty much the same sort of thing
Original post by mywhitedog
Thanks!!! I got into castle omg I'm so happy!

Oh my god me too!! What subject? :smile:
same!!
Reply 51
Does anyone know what Trevelyan college is like?
I got into Grey :smile:
Oh my god me too!! What subject? :smile:

International relations!!
I'm at Greys college - very happy :biggrin:
Reply 55
Hi, I'm a history applicant who just got allocated to JB. I didn't apply there and am a bit disappointed because I read it was created in 2006 and as a history student, I'm a lover of all things old. Anybody know anything about the college? e.g. intake, social stuff etc. Thanks!
Is there any reason how they choose who gets reallocated?

Pretty disappointed that I didn't get into Castle and I'm not sure what else I could have done lol
Original post by lay98
Hi, I'm a history applicant who just got allocated to JB. I didn't apply there and am a bit disappointed because I read it was created in 2006 and as a history student, I'm a lover of all things old. Anybody know anything about the college? e.g. intake, social stuff etc. Thanks!

In exactly the same position. If you want a bright side, they have gowned formal dinners so they're still kind of formal.
Grey college for law
Reply 59
anyone else at hatfield?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending