The Student Room Group

Human Biology

Hi, I have received an unconditional offer by Birmingham to study Human Biology and I will be going there for an offer day to visit the uni in March. Just wanted to know from those who have done this course:
The contact hours I see on the website are 12 hours- isn't this too less do you think and do the contact hours generally increase?
I applied for the 3 year course and got grades AAB but I am considering to do the 4 Mbio with placement year. If I do the 3 year course, does that mean I won't be able to get into science jobs after my degree? I really don't want to retake my a-levels but if you got AAB is there a chance to do the 4 years?
How often do you have tutorials and are they helpful?
Where do you recommend to stay in terms of accommodation?
Thanks! :smile: if you guys could reply asap
12h doesn't sound like a lot. For this sort of course I'd say abut 20h is more realistic plus personal study time. Maybe email the uni and ask? Same with tutorials though they usually are once a week or once a fortnight. With science jobs experience is everything so a placement year will definitely be beneficial but no one can say for sure that you won't get a job with the 3 year course. To get anywhere in science you will need a masters if not a Phd though. Check out the Birmingham uni forum for more about accommodation and if you don't get responses on here see if the uni can put you in touch with current or former students.
Original post by alleycat393
12h doesn't sound like a lot. For this sort of course I'd say abut 20h is more realistic plus personal study time. Maybe email the uni and ask? Same with tutorials though they usually are once a week or once a fortnight. With science jobs experience is everything so a placement year will definitely be beneficial but no one can say for sure that you won't get a job with the 3 year course. To get anywhere in science you will need a masters if not a Phd though. Check out the Birmingham uni forum for more about accommodation and if you don't get responses on here see if the uni can put you in touch with current or former students.

But say for example if I got some work experience during the holidays in science
~(bearing in mind that I will be doing the 3 year course) then I wouldn't have to do a masters in science to get a science job right?
Original post by Bluebell1234
But say for example if I got some work experience during the holidays in science
~(bearing in mind that I will be doing the 3 year course) then I wouldn't have to do a masters in science to get a science job right?

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but even 3 years of full time work experience will not make up for lack of further training in the form of a masters or Phd. The field is so competitive now that you will almost definitely need that Phd too if you want to progress career wise in research.
I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but even 3 years of full time work experience will not make up for lack of further training in the form of a masters or Phd. The field is so competitive now that you will almost definitely need that Phd too if you want to progress career wise in research.

Hi, thank you for your reply

I know I definitely do not want to go into research- personally I find that it is not just me. So apart from research what other science jobs are there? With that in mind, I am keeping my mind and options open as I may not even end up in a science job after I graduate and most jobs nowadays don't even ask for a specific degree.

But if I did the 3 year course can I still get into science jobs that is not research?

I have emailed the birmingham department
Sorry I'm not sure what a science job that isn't research or lab based is. Good luck!
I want to be able to get into a medical field with this. Is this possible?
Original post by grace_augustine
I want to be able to get into a medical field with this. Is this possible?

Maybe, but wouldn't the biomed programme be a bit more beneficial. Correct me if I am wrong though! Perhaps you should contact the head of biomed/human biology department for whatever uni you are applying to :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Bluebell1234
Hi, I have received an unconditional offer by Birmingham to study Human Biology and I will be going there for an offer day to visit the uni in March. Just wanted to know from those who have done this course:
The contact hours I see on the website are 12 hours- isn't this too less do you think and do the contact hours generally increase?
I applied for the 3 year course and got grades AAB but I am considering to do the 4 Mbio with placement year. If I do the 3 year course, does that mean I won't be able to get into science jobs after my degree? I really don't want to retake my a-levels but if you got AAB is there a chance to do the 4 years?
How often do you have tutorials and are they helpful?
Where do you recommend to stay in terms of accommodation?
Thanks! :smile: if you guys could reply asap

Sorry this is super random but firstly, congratulations on your offer! Also, I’m looking to apply for Human Biology at UoB for the year 2018. Just wanted to ask what was the application process like? Anything I should be wary of, or any advice you may have for me? Thank you in advance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending