The Student Room Group

Is it worth going to interviews for universities I don't plan to go to?

To put it shortly, I just got my first choice and I already have my insurance choice, is there really any reason to these interviews that will drag me into long and expensive trips to the other side of the UK?

The only reason I can think off is that I might realise that I really like that university by going there in person. But I already know that my main choice university has the modules, statistics and reviews that place it above my other choices. Will going there in person really show me that much more than Google maps will?
Original post by Vindria
To put it shortly, I just got my first choice and I already have my insurance choice, is there really any reason to these interviews that will drag me into long and expensive trips to the other side of the UK?

The only reason I can think off is that I might realise that I really like that university by going there in person. But I already know that my main choice university has the modules, statistics and reviews that place it above my other choices. Will going there in person really show me that much more than Google maps will?

Have you visited your firm and insurance choices?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Have you visited your firm and insurance choices?

No I haven't. I've looked at their websites and campuses extensively using the internet and I figured that was enough.
Original post by Vindria
No I haven't. I've looked at their websites and campuses extensively using the internet and I figured that was enough.

personally, since you're going to live there for 3 years i would try to visit them both and if you're still 100% then cancel the other interviews.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
personally, since you're going to live there for 3 years i would try to visit them both and if you're still 100% then cancel the other interviews.

Hmmm, okay, I have an interview with a university tomorrow. I guess I'll discuss with my parents whether it's worth going to do that one and then I'll try to go my first and last choice before deciding whether to cancel my other interviews. Thank you.
Original post by Vindria
Hmmm, okay, I have an interview with a university tomorrow. I guess I'll discuss with my parents whether it's worth going to do that one and then I'll try to go my first and last choice before deciding whether to cancel my other interviews. Thank you.

I'd go to every interview/visit day you can tbh. Even if it's just to have all the information to be confident you've made the right choice to pick elsewhere. It gives you a frame of reference to compare against (and if things don't go to plan with your exams you have a broader range of experience of different universities).
Original post by Vindria

You should visit in person to see the place - the internet is not sufficient. You also need to meet the lecturers to see what they are like and whether they are interesting to listen to ...

Going on 'reputation' and paper reviews is not enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending