The Student Room Group

How do you lay out your notes?

When writing notes during revision, how do you lay yours out?
Personally, I don't find just writing out notes entirely helpful, and most of mine are in flashcard format.
Original post by e2014
When writing notes during revision, how do you lay yours out?
Personally, I don't find just writing out notes entirely helpful, and most of mine are in flashcard format.

Colourful flashcards works best for me. Not too colourful as it's too time-consuming otherwise. I mean just writing key words in a different colour etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MAKE SURE YOU USE COLOUR.
I personally write notes, my handwriting is atrocious so I can't write small on flashcards nor right enough information on flashcards to be honest.

I get so happy seeing nice colourful notes cause they are way easier to revise from :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Kalikuku
I personally write notes, my handwriting is atrocious so I can't write small on flashcards nor right enough information on flashcards to be honest.

I get so happy seeing nice colourful notes cause they are way easier to revise from :smile:

I can't revise without colour! I have different coloured flashcards for each subject (ie yellow for chemistry, blue for physics, green for biology) and usually I'll use colour highlighting on top of that to indicate formulas etc. This is probably one of the reasons that I find it difficult to revise from my class notes - rushing to write out the information on the board doesn't lead to very neat, nor colour-coordinated notes.
Original post by Kalikuku

Yes definitely colour is so important!x :biggrin:

Original post by e2014
I can't revise without colour! I have different coloured flashcards for each subject (ie yellow for chemistry, blue for physics, green for biology) and usually I'll use colour highlighting on top of that to indicate formulas etc. This is probably one of the reasons that I find it difficult to revise from my class notes - rushing to write out the information on the board doesn't lead to very neat, nor colour-coordinated notes.

OMG I do exactly the same thing! (and I use yellow flash cards for chemistry!:tongue:) x :h:
Reply 5
Original post by Moltenmo
Colourful flashcards works best for me. Not too colourful as it's too time-consuming otherwise. I mean just writing key words in a different colour etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm the same! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by sunshine774
Yes definitely colour is so important!x :biggrin:

OMG I do exactly the same thing! (and I use yellow flash cards for chemistry!:tongue:) x :h:

Ah cool! How many flashcards have you made as of right now?
I don't do notes. As you say, what is point of copying out information you already have?
Original post by e2014
Ah cool! How many flashcards have you made as of right now?

Probably about 70 for everything we've done in AS chemistry so far! :tongue: We have end of chapter tests so I just make the cards as at the end of every chapter to revise!x:h:
Are you doing GCSE's or A levels?x:biggrin:
Original post by Sternumator
I don't do notes. As you say, what is point of copying out information you already have?

For some people, it helps you retain the information!:smile: And for example, in my economics class we have a lot of discussion based lessons and we are expected to make notes in our own time! Notes are also pretty useful for content heavy subjects like the sciences...:smile:

How do you revise then?x :h:
For some people, it helps you retain the information!:smile: And for example, in my economics class we have a lot of discussion based lessons and we are expected to make notes in our own time! Notes are also pretty useful for content heavy subjects like the sciences...:smile:

How do you revise then?x :h:

People do say that copying helps them to remember. Personally, when I copy something, I don't think about what I'm copying so it doesn't go in.

I just read the book. It's got everything in there I need. Just learn the book and pass the exam.

I'm not a believer in condensing it down. For content heavy subjects, you need to remember a lot of content. There is no getting around that. If you really could cover the entire course on a flashcards, I wouldn't need a year to learn it and they wouldn't give me a massive textbook.
Reply 11
Probably about 70 for everything we've done in AS chemistry so far! :tongue: We have end of chapter tests so I just make the cards as at the end of every chapter to revise!x:h:
Are you doing GCSE's or A levels?x:biggrin:

I'm doing GCSEs! I'm aiming to make flashcards for all units (B1,B2,B3,C1,C2,C3) this half term. :smile: what did you get in your GCSEs?
Original post by e2014
I'm doing GCSEs! I'm aiming to make flashcards for all units (B1,B2,B3,C1,C2,C3) this half term. :smile: what did you get in your GCSEs?

Oh I did AQA for GCSE science too!:tongue: I got 3A*s, 6As and 2Bs- please don't do what I did and don't revise- DON'T LEAVE EVERYTHING TO THE LAST MINUTE!!!

What GCSE's are you doing?x :h:
Reply 13
Oh I did AQA for GCSE science too!:tongue: I got 3A*s, 6As and 2Bs- please don't do what I did and don't revise- DON'T LEAVE EVERYTHING TO THE LAST MINUTE!!!

What GCSE's are you doing?x :h:

Wow, that's so good! Well done! I'm doing English Literature, English Language, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Religious Education, History, Spanish, and Computer Science. :biggrin:
Original post by e2014
Wow, that's so good! Well done! I'm doing English Literature, English Language, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Religious Education, History, Spanish, and Computer Science. :biggrin:

Nice I did Maths, English Language, English Literature, Religious Studies, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Business Studies, Computing, Food and Nutrition and Spanish! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest