The Student Room Group

London Academy of Excellence 2017

Scroll to see replies

From what I remember, it was after school, and I came in my shirt and tie.
They told us to sit down to the side while they got ready. When you saw an interviewer free, you could go up and have your interview. The questions were fairly standard, asking about the subjects I had chosen, my predicted grades, future plans, extra-curricular, why I want to go here, etc.

I ended up declining my offer, as I heard from students that it itself isn't all that - yes, the facilities are modern, up-to-date, but that only helps tech, science subjects really. For the others, you only need a white/interactive board and a classroom. Many said that it does provide a lot of help; sessions after-school, etc. but I didn't want to leave my current secondary school as I was accustomed to it. Leaving may've encouraged me to focus more, knuckle-down and work hard (with travel and a new environment pressuring me to get on top of my work) but it would've meant relying on the tube (not so good) and having to settle-in, etc. It was easier to stay put for me (and parents thought it best to keep to where I've been for so long now.)

Don't stress the interview too much - they just want to see if your the kind-of person they want there. Just scan their website for their 'values' and stuff they encourage, and if you have the grades, you've got a good chance. :smile:
Original post by BrainyBengali
From what I remember, it was after school, and I came in my shirt and tie.
They told us to sit down to the side while they got ready. When you saw an interviewer free, you could go up and have your interview. The questions were fairly standard, asking about the subjects I had chosen, my predicted grades, future plans, extra-curricular, why I want to go here, etc.

I ended up declining my offer, as I heard from students that it itself isn't all that - yes, the facilities are modern, up-to-date, but that only helps tech, science subjects really. For the others, you only need a white/interactive board and a classroom. Many said that it does provide a lot of help; sessions after-school, etc. but I didn't want to leave my current secondary school as I was accustomed to it. Leaving may've encouraged me to focus more, knuckle-down and work hard (with travel and a new environment pressuring me to get on top of my work) but it would've meant relying on the tube (not so good) and having to settle-in, etc. It was easier to stay put for me (and parents thought it best to keep to where I've been for so long now.)

Don't stress the interview too much - they just want to see if your the kind-of person they want there. Just scan their website for their 'values' and stuff they encourage, and if you have the grades, you've got a good chance. :smile:

Thanks dude, appreciate your help!:smile:
No worries - lemme know how it goes! When is the big day anyway?
Original post by BrainyBengali
No worries - lemme know how it goes! When is the big day anyway?

Its between 25th feb, 4tjh mar and 8th mar but how did so many people get interviews?
I got an interview for the 25th of February, anyone else?
Mines on 25th February
Same here
I've got one for the 4th of March. Keep wavering between excited and deathly anxious.
What time?- I have a couple of friends doing it on the same day
2pm
Original post by orderofthelotus
I've got one for the 4th of March. Keep wavering between excited and deathly anxious.

Got an interview, but heard enough negative things from former students that makes me worried. Read their Ofsted report which said that 'students don't make enough progress' and there was an article that said they kicked students out https://www.google.co.uk/amp/schoolsweek.co.uk/lae/amp/?client=safari Also they've banned prayers!
Original post by SmartFailure
A few independent schools and LAE

Got an interview, but heard enough negative things from former students that makes me worried. Read their Ofsted report which said that 'students don't make enough progress' and there was an article that said they kicked students out https://www.google.co.uk/amp/schoolsweek.co.uk/lae/amp/?client=safari
Did anyone else notice that LAE say they take in 250 students per year but only 203 finished in Y13 last year? Think they ask a lot of students to leave from Y12 to Y13 hence the grades. Removing 47 students nearly a fifth will have a huge impact on results. Not fooling me!
Did anyone else notice that LAE say they take in 250 students per year but only 203 finished in Y13 last year? Think they ask a lot of students to leave from Y12 to Y13 hence the grades. Removing 47 students nearly a fifth will have a huge impact on results. Not fooling me!
Original post by Jess Sharp
Got an interview, but heard enough negative things from former students that makes me worried. Read their Ofsted report which said that 'students don't make enough progress' and there was an article that said they kicked students out https://www.google.co.uk/amp/schoolsweek.co.uk/lae/amp/?client=safari Also they've banned prayers!

Yeah, I was a bit wary of their Ofsted report too. I was planning on asking them about it when I got the chance though because that report is from 2014, two years after it opened. I was going to ask what they've done to improve since and I think that'll give me a better idea of what they're like than just the potentially outdated report alone.

As for the rumours, I'm going to ask about their retention rates too.

I reckon I'll be able to see through any lies with enough research.
Original post by orderofthelotus
Yeah, I was a bit wary of their Ofsted report too. I was planning on asking them about it when I got the chance though because that report is from 2014, two years after it opened. I was going to ask what they've done to improve since and I think that'll give me a better idea of what they're like than just the potentially outdated report alone.

As for the rumours, I'm going to ask about their retention rates too.

I reckon I'll be able to see through any lies with enough research.
u

I'm also going to ask about this as well https://www.google.co.uk/amp/schoolsweek.co.uk/lae/amp/?client=safari

What I don't get is they were given sixth form of the year but got a 2 in ofsted with it saying students don't make the improvements and other schools got better results?? Something fishy!
Reply 36
Anyone got it for today?
Hi, The ofsted report was taken before the school had gotten their first ever A-level results, which is why it does not show the schools full capability. They have come a long way since 2014.
yup same
What sort of questions do they ask in the interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending