The Student Room Group

Driving theory test

hello guys,
I am starting to learn how to drive and I was just wondering what is the best way people found to learn for the theory test? I have just been doing loads of practice tests online and stuff but I'm not quite sure what kinda time period you should be practising for before you take the test. Also wondering if anyone has any good tips/ resources for learning the theory

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My instructor had an o line theory test practice thingy I used. He had about 20 hazard perception videos too.
Reply 2
Original post by emwilliams044
hello guys,
I am starting to learn how to drive and I was just wondering what is the best way people found to learn for the theory test? I have just been doing loads of practice tests online and stuff but I'm not quite sure what kinda time period you should be practising for before you take the test. Also wondering if anyone has any good tips/ resources for learning the theory

Thanks in advance :smile:

Well I was loaned a DVD from my neighbour, which was the offical DSA one, but if you just google driving theory tests 2017 you should be able to find good websites. I practised the theory tests so many times, learning at least something new every time I did one. I did at least 10 a day; I didn't have much for hazard perception, but I found practice tests online and some on the DVD. I also watched several preparation clips and practised spotting for hazards myself before the video pointed them out. My driving instructor actually suggested purchasing the official DVSA app on the App Store for £4.99; I didn't buy it because of the fact that it cost money, and I still passed, so it isn't absolutely crucial. I also borrowed the official book from the library and practised the questions and mentally noted all the extra information I could find, e.g. tread depths etc. It did take me a while, but I got through all 14 chapters of the book and all the case studies. Practice, practice, practice I would say! If you come across anything new, write it down or put it into a document so that you will remember. Also, whenever you're travelling in the car, look at all the different road signs and lights, and make sure you know the meaning of them; if not, ask a parent, or check yourself online. To be fair, I had the whole of the Christmas holidays to practise as my theory test was soon after the new year, but it's best to get it out of the way as soon as possible. Good luck!:smile:
Original post by sue99
Well I was loaned a DVD from my neighbour, which was the offical DSA one, but if you just google driving theory tests 2017 you should be able to find good websites. I practised the theory tests so many times, learning at least something new every time I did one. I did at least 10 a day; I didn't have much for hazard perception, but I found practice tests online and some on the DVD. I also watched several preparation clips and practised spotting for hazards myself before the video pointed them out. My driving instructor actually suggested purchasing the official DVSA app on the App Store for £4.99; I didn't buy it because of the fact that it cost money, and I still passed, so it isn't absolutely crucial. I also borrowed the official book from the library and practised the questions and mentally noted all the extra information I could find, e.g. tread depths etc. It did take me a while, but I got through all 14 chapters of the book and all the case studies. Practice, practice, practice I would say! If you come across anything new, write it down or put it into a document so that you will remember. Also, whenever you're travelling in the car, look at all the different road signs and lights, and make sure you know the meaning of them; if not, ask a parent, or check yourself online. To be fair, I had the whole of the Christmas holidays to practise as my theory test was soon after the new year, but it's best to get it out of the way as soon as possible. Good luck!:smile:

Yeah I've seen that app pop up so much but I was debating whether it was worth the money and also when you did do your theory test did you find that there were questions that popped up which were similar or the same as the practise ones? Thank you for all the tips I really appreciate it :smile:
Original post by Goaded
My instructor had an o line theory test practice thingy I used. He had about 20 hazard perception videos too.

ahh okay thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Yeah I've seen that app pop up so much but I was debating whether it was worth the money and also when you did do your theory test did you find that there were questions that popped up which were similar or the same as the practise ones? Thank you for all the tips I really appreciate it :smile:

To be completely honest, I don't think it's worth the money, but that's just my opinion. Oh yes, definitely! I was very relieved when i saw questions I had come across several times, although worded differently. I think there were three questions which I had not come across before but I took educated guesses based on what I did know. That's okay! If you have any more questions, about theory or when it comes to your practical test (I am hopefully going to be able to help you there because I have my first test on Friday and want to pass first time) feel free to ask! Just out of interest, are you learning manual or automatic?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
ahh okay thanks :smile:

It's worth asking your instructor if they have something similar. I got 50/50 on the questions and 68/75 on the hazard perception, he also quizzed me while in lessons :smile:
Original post by sue99
To be completely honest, I don't think it's worth the money, but that's just my opinion. Oh yes, definitely! I was very relieved when i saw questions I had come across several times, although worded differently. I think there were three questions which I had not come across before but I took educated guesses based on what I did know. That's okay! If you have any more questions, about theory or when it comes to your practical test (I am hopefully going to be able to help you there because I have my first test on Friday and want to pass first time) feel free to ask! Just out of interest, are you learning manual or automatic?

ahh okay I think I might just stick to questions online and do practice tests instead. thank you so much for helping, I was just getting anxious about how much I needed to do and I didn't know anything so thanks for putting my mind at rest. Good luck for your test I'm sure you will ace it, seems like you've got everything covered :smile: I am learning manual just because it means that you can also drive automatic whereas getting an automatic would just limit me to the automatic cars.
Original post by Goaded
It's worth asking your instructor if they have something similar. I got 50/50 on the questions and 68/75 on the hazard perception, he also quizzed me while in lessons :smile:

What would I ask for? Thanks for helping again much appreciated :smile:
u dont even need to revise tbh. For the theory part the answer is always B, and for hazard perception just click every 12 seconds. I used this method and got 50/50 for theory, and 75/75 for hazard perception. Will add pic for proof!!

Safe g
Reply 10
What would I ask for? Thanks for helping again much appreciated :smile:

Just if he provides any theory test material :smile:
Reply 11
ahh okay I think I might just stick to questions online and do practice tests instead. thank you so much for helping, I was just getting anxious about how much I needed to do and I didn't know anything so thanks for putting my mind at rest. Good luck for your test I'm sure you will ace it, seems like you've got everything covered :smile: I am learning manual just because it means that you can also drive automatic whereas getting an automatic would just limit me to the automatic cars.

Trust me, I put it off for so long. I started learning the theory last March I think, and then as soon as I found out I wasn't starting lessons any time soon I left it, but really I should have taken it before lessons, because then it was out of the way. Thank you! I am so scared though- before today's lesson I was so determined to pass first time, but after today, I am rethinking things. It has nothing to do with my instructor, because he's very encouraging, but I think it could be because it's getting closer and closer. You will certainly be relieved when you've completed your theory test! Yeah I'm learning manual too for the exact same reason you've said. Has its perks and downfalls :tongue:
Original post by brumtown0121
u dont even need to revise tbh. For the theory part the answer is always B, and for hazard perception just click every 12 seconds. I used this method and got 50/50 for theory, and 75/75 for hazard perception. Will add pic for proof!!

Safe g

Really? Does that really work every time tho? You must have been incredibly lucky haha I really don't have any kind of luck when it comes to these kinda things.
Original post by Goaded
Just if he provides any theory test material :smile:

Oh okay thank you for helping me out :smile:
Original post by sue99
Trust me, I put it off for so long. I started learning the theory last March I think, and then as soon as I found out I wasn't starting lessons any time soon I left it, but really I should have taken it before lessons, because then it was out of the way. Thank you! I am so scared though- before today's lesson I was so determined to pass first time, but after today, I am rethinking things. It has nothing to do with my instructor, because he's very encouraging, but I think it could be because it's getting closer and closer. You will certainly be relieved when you've completed your theory test! Yeah I'm learning manual too for the exact same reason you've said. Has its perks and downfalls :tongue:

Yeah that's what I am trying to do with my theory test so I can get it over and done with and just move on to the practical test. Also one more question how long have you been having driving lessons before you decided to take the practical test? Awhh noo you'll do great and I guess it is natural to feel scared but that might end up going in your favour and you'll end up passing first time :smile: I'm just scared that I'm gonna absolutely fail the theory test tbf although hazard perception does not seem to be a problem for me ahaha.
Really? Does that really work every time tho? You must have been incredibly lucky haha I really don't have any kind of luck when it comes to these kinda things.

Don't listen to that nonsense advice.
Just do lots of practice tests and you'll be fine.
Original post by cherryred90s

Yeah I wasn't planning on taking that route to be honest and thank you :smile:
Reply 17
Yeah that's what I am trying to do with my theory test so I can get it over and done with and just move on to the practical test. Also one more question how long have you been having driving lessons before you decided to take the practical test? Awhh noo you'll do great and I guess it is natural to feel scared but that might end up going in your favour and you'll end up passing first time :smile: I'm just scared that I'm gonna absolutely fail the theory test tbf although hazard perception does not seem to be a problem for me ahaha.

I have been having driving lessons since the 24th of August 2016 (I know it might seem strange me remembering the precise date lol). I took my theory test on the 3rd of January then maybe one or two weeks later my instructor suggested booking the practical test, and I did so a couple of days later. I have been having quite a bit more than the average, but I suppose not everyone picks things up at the same pace, right? And I want to be fully prepared and not feel like I rushed things. Aw thank you for your encouraging words! I really hope I pass first time, then I don't ever have to worry about it anymore. Trust me, when I first starting learning theory, I struggled with the hazard perception practice too. Don't worry yourself about the theory section :smile:; just use the way you learn best and apply it here: repeating things over and over, making a list, writing notes, making a recording and listening to it, whatever helps. Just go over things again and again and make sure they stick in. Also, if you can, get yourself a copy of the Highway Code that you can keep forever - it might come in useful and it might cover some things that the theory books don't, and I guess you can keep referring to it even after you've passed your practical test. I might update after my practical test on Friday to provide any tips for when the time comes, depending on how I'm feeling. (Sorry for the long post)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cherryred90s

Bacheh kuni
Original post by sue99
I have been having driving lessons since the 24th of August 2016 (I know it might seem strange me remembering the precise date lol). I took my theory test on the 3rd of January then maybe one or two weeks later my instructor suggested booking the practical test, and I did so a couple of days later. I have been having quite a bit more than the average, but I suppose not everyone picks things up at the same pace, right? And I want to be fully prepared and not feel like I rushed things. Aw thank you for your encouraging words! I really hope I pass first time, then I don't ever have to worry about it anymore. Trust me, when I first starting learning theory, I struggled with the hazard perception practice too. Don't worry yourself about the theory section :smile:; just use the way you learn best and apply it here: repeating things over and over, making a list, writing notes, making a recording and listening to it, whatever helps. Just go over things again and again and make sure they stick in. Also, if you can, get yourself a copy of the Highway Code that you can keep forever - it might come in useful and it might cover some things that the theory books don't, and I guess you can keep referring to it even after you've passed your practical test. I might update after my practical test on Friday to provide any tips for when the time comes, depending on how I'm feeling. (Sorry for the long post)

Oh that seems like a reasonable time for having lessons tbf because that's the kind of time period I would have taken driving lessons for before I took my test :smile: Thank you, I guess it's just more the fact that I don't want to fail my theory test as more of my friends are passing the first time and I don't want to just fail my theory but I guess it is different for everyone. Thanks for the advice I'm just gonna do a lot of practice I guess. Can you buy the Highway Code online? Yeah that would be great but yeah obviously only if you're feeling up to it, I don't want you to be obliged and that's alright my replies are usually quite long too ahaha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending