The Student Room Group

Ucas decision deadlines help!

So I've just received all 5 offers but I'm not keen on immediately confirming my firm/ insurance because I like running away from responsibilities and the thought of commitment terrifies me.

But is it true that if you firm/insure your choices and reject the others, you free up more space for other applicants to get their offers (from the universities you've decided not to take)? Because if that's the case I'd firm and insure my university in a heartbeat.

Original post by Titania_Fleuret_
So I've just received all 5 offers but I'm not keen on immediately confirming my firm/ insurance because I like running away from responsibilities and the thought of commitment terrifies me.

But is it true that if you firm/insure your choices and reject the others, you free up more space for other applicants to get their offers (from the universities you've decided not to take)? Because if that's the case I'd firm and insure my university in a heartbeat.

No. your decisions have no impact on other applicants.

There's no quota of offers- that isn't how admissions decisions are made.

UCAS gives everyone a reasonable amount of time to pick their firm choice because you are supposed to take your time and make a good decision for you. Every year applicants rush in when there's no advantage to picking a firm choice early.

Make a decision in your head. If you're still happy with that decision in April then make it official on Track.
Original post by PQ

UCAS gives everyone a reasonable amount of time to pick their firm choice because you are supposed to take your time and make a good decision for you. Every year applicants rush in when there's no advantage to picking a firm choice early.

Make a decision in your head. If you're still happy with that decision in April then make it official on Track.

I'm actually certain about the university I'd firm and insure, as my other unis all offered the same condition (A*AA) as my firm.

Do you think I'd still be allowed to go to an offer holder's day for one of my London universities despite not having firmed it on UCAs? I've always wanted to experience a day as a London student (my firm/ dream uni is in another area), so even if it's just for a day I'd like to take it :frown:

I'd also like to firm and insure my choices ASAP because I know I won't change my mind and I feel queasy leaving things hanging..

Is it also true that london universities have more leeway when it comes to missing your offer? (those in question are LSE, UCL and King's; all for law.)

Sorry for asking so many questions! :smile:

I'm actually certain about the university I'd firm and insure, as my other unis all offered the same condition (A*AA) as my firm.

Do you think I'd still be allowed to go to an offer holder's day for one of my London universities despite not having firmed it on UCAs? I've always wanted to experience a day as a London student (my firm/ dream uni is in another area), so even if it's just for a day I'd like to take it :frown:

I'd also like to firm and insure my choices ASAP because I know I won't change my mind and I feel queasy leaving things hanging..

Is it also true that london universities have more leeway when it comes to missing your offer? (those in question are LSE, UCL and King's; all for law.)

Offer holder days are for anyone holding an offer. You SHOULD go to days at universities you're not planning on firming just to give you something to compare against so you can be confident you've made an informed decision.

You can decide now. But it is a bad idea to lock that decision into Track before April. No university is expecting applicants to firm choices before then. If you're sure about your decision then waiting until April won't change your mind - it will reassure you that you're certain. Every year we have hundreds of applicants on TSR who change their mind between firming and August - sleeping on your decision for 6 weeks helps to prevent you from being one of them.

If you want to know about the chances of acceptance with lower grades then you need to speak to your universities directly about that (ideal question for an offer holders day). They're the only ones who can answer with any authority.
Original post by PQ
Offer holder days are for anyone holding an offer. You SHOULD go to days at universities you're not planning on firming just to give you something to compare against so you can be confident you've made an informed decision.

You can decide now. But it is a bad idea to lock that decision into Track before April. No university is expecting applicants to firm choices before then. If you're sure about your decision then waiting until April won't change your mind - it will reassure you that you're certain. Every year we have hundreds of applicants on TSR who change their mind between firming and August - sleeping on your decision for 6 weeks helps to prevent you from being one of them.

If you want to know about the chances of acceptance with lower grades then you need to speak to your universities directly about that (ideal question for an offer holders day). They're the only ones who can answer with any authority.

Thanks again; that's really appreciated!

I guess I'll just keep my decision in my head and firm it officially in April. Do you think it's acceptable for me to email the universities about leeway concerning offers? Or should I ask them directly over the phone, or during offer holders day? Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by PQ

Hey,

From what I've seen of freedom of information requests, unis like the LSE give out a very similar number of offers for each year, so I would assume there is a certain limit/quota. Unis often give out more offers than places assuming some might not firm/insure and some might not meet the offer etc. I think it would logically follow that because the amount of seats available for each course are clearly outlined on the websites, that if one were to reject a uni they would be able to offer someone else that seat also assuming they would/not accept or meet the grades. Congrats on the amazing offers btw!!!

I know of an LSE student just missing by one grade but had better grades in the other two and got confirmed without any hassle. On the other hand, I know a UCL student missing by one grade, marginally by one mark, but higher grade in another subject, but was made to wait till August before getting a confirmation of offer, all because UCL has a due process that requires some faculty board to approve any offers that just miss the offer, which was given but after a long stressful wait. Hope that helps.
Original post by thrn21
Hey,

From what I've seen of freedom of information requests, unis like the LSE give out a very similar number of offers for each year, so I would assume there is a certain limit/quota. Unis often give out more offers than places assuming some might not firm/insure and some might not meet the offer etc. I think it would logically follow that because the amount of seats available for each course are clearly outlined on the websites, that if one were to reject a uni they would be able to offer someone else that seat also assuming they would/not accept or meet the grades. Congrats on the amazing offers btw!!!

If a university finds that more students have accepted their offers than expected then they can be extremely picky when results come in to reduce numbers.

If a university finds that fewer than expected students have accepted their offers then they can be more flexible to applicants who have slightly missed their offer conditions but still performed well enough to succeed on the course.

For lse this isn't an issue because they can find additional excellent (profitable) international postgraduate students at short notice to plug any financial gap.

An undergrad applicant declining an offer WILL NOT result in another applicant receiving an offer. Universities practice equal consideration to all on time applications - we know how to manage numbers within that system without "running out of offers " or otherwise undermining the principles of equal consideration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending