The Student Room Group

Sydney university offer male only scholarship feminists are upset

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josb
Society is such a bad guy.

Proper famous tho, he even had his own tsr forum
Original post by minimarshmallow

The reason mums are more often given custody is 1. because they generally settle out of court and the dad doesn't fight for it and 2. because *PATRIARCHY KLAXON* apparently they're better with kids because they have a vagina or something...

You have evidence of number 1 I assume? If we're going on opinions then it seems far more likely that in fact child custody is just further proof that the British courts are skewed against men.

It's amazing how even in situations where men are clearly disadvantaged feminists want to make women the victims.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
You have evidence of number 1 I assume? If we're going on opinions then it seems far more likely that in fact child custody is just further proof that the British courts are skewed against men.

It's amazing how even in situations where men are clearly disadvantaged feminists want to make women the victims.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This article contains the stats and the link to where the stats came from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cathy-meyer/dispelling-the-myth-of-ge_b_1617115.html

Point to where I made women the victims? I said it was due to patriarchy, which feminism works to combat.
This article contains the stats and the link to where the stats came from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cathy-meyer/dispelling-the-myth-of-ge_b_1617115.html

Point to where I made women the victims? I said it was due to patriarchy, which feminism works to combat.

You do realise that the link on the huffington post article (to divorcepeers.com) is not only a broken link but would also be giving information about the USA? The whole article is about America.

"Apparently they're better with kids because they have a vagina or something" - that's where you tried to make women the victims again

Posted from TSR Mobile

First link: Bit click-baity really. It says the researchers speculated.

Second link: She's saying if this and if that...

Third link: Baby is preprogrammed to make an attachment for survival purposes, doesn't say mum is.

Fourth link: I haven't had time to read it all the way through (it's 31 pages) but I'm seeing that its encouraged for pre-natal classes, and the only biological drive would be the one to keep your baby alive, which would apply to both parents as it's your genetics you want to protect. If you can point to something specific in this one I'd be happy to debate.

Fifth link: Already sceptical, given the source. I understand the role oxytocin may play in bonding, but isn't the same true of fathers? Number 2 in the link shows a possible biological rewiring for fathers as well, so if we take this article in its entirety it doesn't really do much for your point.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Underscore__
You do realise that the link on the huffington post article (to divorcepeers.com) is not only a broken link but would also be giving information about the USA? The whole article is about America.

"Apparently they're better with kids because they have a vagina or something" - that's where you tried to make women the victims again

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't realise the link wasn't working, I'm not at my own computer, I'm sure I have some links at home, I'll have a look later.
I wasn't being specific to the UK.

I don't see any way in which that is making women victims? It's just explaining the patriarchal idea that feminists are against.

Third link: Baby is preprogrammed to make an attachment for survival purposes, doesn't say mum is.

Perhaps you missed the first paragraph and a key word in the first sentence of the second, which read:

The process of bonding with a new baby is natural for most mothers. Left alone, new mothers will hold their baby next to their bodies, rock them gently, strive for eye contact, sing or talk to the baby and begin to nurse. Often within just hours of birth, mothers report feelings of overwhelming love and attachment for their new baby.

A normal, full-term baby is also [i.e. like the mother, as described in para 1] programmed to initiate and enter into a bonding relationship.
Original post by Good bloke
Perhaps you missed the first paragraph and a key word in the first sentence of the second, which read:

The process of bonding with a new baby is natural for most mothers. Left alone, new mothers will hold their baby next to their bodies, rock them gently, strive for eye contact, sing or talk to the baby and begin to nurse. Often within just hours of birth, mothers report feelings of overwhelming love and attachment for their new baby.

A normal, full-term baby is also [i.e. like the mother, as described in para 1] programmed to initiate and enter into a bonding relationship.

Most mothers?
Most mothers?

Given the range of humanity and genetic 'faults', there are always going to be exceptions.
Given the range of humanity and genetic 'faults', there are always going to be exceptions.

Anything on what this "natural" process is that most mothers have? I'd say that when I started pencilling in my eyebrows that it came "naturally" to me, but we wouldn't say I was biologically preprogrammed to do it... Without knowing if it's hormonal or due to brain structure or something it seems to carry as much weight as my colloquial use.

It also doesn't state that there's anything unique to mothers here. Is it not possible a father would do the same with the newborn given the chance?

I guess I fall into that exception as I've never felt maternal, but nobody seems to been accounting for my predisposition here when it comes to parental leave etc.
Without knowing if it's hormonal or due to brain structure or something

Those are the obvious candidates, and/or something to do with pregnancy/breast feeding, which men can never emulate.

An individual woman has only to get her partner to bring up the child, and he would, I am sure, be as committed to egalitarian child rearing as the mother. She can then have a career unfettered by such choices.
(edited 7 years ago)
Those are the obvious candidates, and/or something to do with pregnancy, which men can never emulate.

Depending on the hormone, men can emulate it - one of your own sources mentioned a brain re-wire for men and an increase in prolactin, I also believe the oxytocin thing for bonding isn't woman specific either.

To do with pregnancy, there may be a very slight advantage in the first few days if there are some pregnancy specific hormones at play, but these drop off a cliff a few days after birth (hence baby blues) and I don't think anyone would suggest a woman should go back to work within 12 hours of giving birth (unless she really really wants to).
Original post by Dandaman1
No, they don't.

Men earn more on average before taking into account things like different jobs and hours worked. When these factors are taken into account, there is little to no pay disparity to speak of. It is illegal to pay men and women differently for the same job.

Nope, in job sectors like banking (I believe) the employer can legally pay a woman several thousands less than a man. It is only illegal in professions such as teaching, nursing ect.
I didn't think of it that way, but that could be a part of it, although it does lead back to the same patriarchial values that make us think women are inherently better at childcare.

Do you have any evidence of this preprogramming? It is to do with anatomy, or hormones or something? I think it may have skipped me...

Its the primordial bond between mothers protecting their child and breastfeeding. It harks back to when males sought to impregnate multiple females, ensuring at least one of them would survive, while women locked down to protect their own. Its hormonal. Its also why men naturally lean towards more competitive, aggressive, selfish careers while women as a rule lean towards caring roles. Hormones I think.
I don't understand your point. If the mother is a fit parent then of course she should be able to see her children, but it shouldn't be assumed that she's the better parent because she's the one with the lady parts.

Legally speaking, they are.

Ah, scratch it, this was your point.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bex.anne
Nope, in job sectors like banking (I believe) the employer can legally pay a woman several thousands less than a man. It is only illegal in professions such as teaching, nursing ect.

Might this be because of performance pay where everyone has set pay but there's variation between people of the same level because of targets?
Original post by Dandaman1
No, they don't.

Men earn more on average before taking into account things like different jobs and hours worked. When these factors are taken into account, there is little to no pay disparity to speak of. It is illegal to pay men and women differently for the same job.

By eliminating those factors you are taking away the explanatory factor. The question is why do men dominate higher earning fields, why do men progress more within a career, demand a higher salary etc.

But that's besides the point.

Most importantly, @Dandaman1 I'd really appreciate it if you could point out all those female only scholarships you claim to exist? Might be just the thing I'm looking for :wink:
Original post by That Bearded Man
Its the primordial bond between mothers protecting their child and breastfeeding. It harks back to when males sought to impregnate multiple females, ensuring at least one of them would survive, while women locked down to protect their own. Its hormonal. Its also why men naturally lean towards more competitive, aggressive, selfish careers while women as a rule lean towards caring roles. Hormones I think.

I struggle with evolutionary explanations, there are always more than one explanation and no way to say which one is correct - men would also want to protect their offspring if they could, they may impregnate many women, but with living not being the cushy thing it is now back in the times of our evolution, would the pregnant woman left on her own be safe during birth etc.?

Hormones, you think. Which hormones? Doing what?

It may well be hormones have an effect on career choice (although I'm struggling to see exactly how), but unless we can show how each of these hormones works like that, and also divorce that from the societal pressure for men and women to behave in certain ways, I remain unconvinced.

Original post by That Bearded Man

As a psychology graduate, I am physically cringing right now.

When I see people make posts like this, it's no wonder that people think psychology is a bull-**** subject, because it's principles are abused all the time by people who want to push an agenda. If I see one more man make a pseudo evo-psych driven justification for gender differences and disparity, I'll lose all hope.

The entirety of your posts, are basically rubbish. That's all I can be bothered to say, right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending