The Student Room Group

GCSE Triple Science. freesciencelesson or mygcsescience

Which website is better? mygcsescience or freesciencelessons. I want to use freesciencelessons as it is short and straight to the point but i am worries that it is not detailed enought to get the As and A*s. Along with past papers, is freesciencelessons.com good enough to get me the top grades or should i use mygcsescience?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm doing triple science, and got 3A*s in my mocks.
I always recommend watching freesciencelessons first, he covers all the basics, and it's really useful for recapping your memory.
Then, any topics you are still unsure about, watch the mygcsescience videos, as he goes in more depth... and then do past papers etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Quizlet
Hi, I'm doing triple science, and got 3A*s in my mocks.
I always recommend watching freesciencelessons first, he covers all the basics, and it's really useful for recapping your memory.
Then, any topics you are still unsure about, watch the mygcsescience videos, as he goes in more depth... and then do past papers etc.

Ok. I will be trying that for my revision. You did really well so it must work. Thanks. Also, have you always been achieving high grades in science or did your grades improve in your mocks?
Reply 3
Original post by SoughtJames
Ok. I will be trying that for my revision. You did really well so it must work. Thanks. Also, have you always been achieving high grades in science or did your grades improve in your mocks?

Before mocks and before revising I was on a D grade, so I worked really hard to get 3 A*s.
Reply 4
I would recommend watching my-gcsescience for the core sciences, and GetToKnowScience for additional and triple. In my opinion, freesciencelessons doesn't really help with understanding the topics, and if you're looking to achieve A/A*s then you need to fully understand all the science concepts. I think GetToKnowScience is best at explaining the science, and my-gcsescience is good too.
Reply 5
Original post by Mo H
I would recommend watching my-gcsescience for the core sciences, and GetToKnowScience for additional and triple. In my opinion, freesciencelessons doesn't really help with understanding the topics, and if you're looking to achieve A/A*s then you need to fully understand all the science concepts. I think GetToKnowScience is best at explaining the science, and my-gcsescience is good too.

Freesciencelessons are excellent at forming the basis, just watching the videos and making notes would be sufficient enough to get you at-least an A, since an A normally ranges from 36-39/60.
Reply 6
Original post by Quizlet
Before mocks and before revising I was on a D grade, so I worked really hard to get 3 A*s.

Year 10 mocks i was at 3 Ds. In my year 11 mocks i achieved A B B. For my real GCSE i want A* A A realistically.
Reply 7
Original post by Quizlet
Freesciencelessons are excellent at forming the basis, just watching the videos and making notes would be sufficient enough to get you at-least an A, since an A normally ranges from 36-39/60.

I plan on using freesciencelessons to make notes on everything. I will learn and revise these notes and do all the past papers. The topics I do not understand I will use mygcsescience and gettoknowscience. Do you think this would be sufficient for high grades?
Reply 8
I plan on using freesciencelessons to make notes on everything. I will learn and revise these notes and do all the past papers. The topics I do not understand I will use mygcsescience and gettoknowscience. Do you think this would be sufficient for high grades?

Definitely, and always do exam papers after you've learned all the topics, it's absolutely great for exam technique.

YES!! as long as you have a thorough understanding and go through the past papers/mark schemes AND examiner's report then you will be fine. also, i dont use mygcsescience because it just doesn't work for me personally, so i prefer to watch freesciencelessons vids repeatedly. e.g. go through all of the units each week bit by bit & do past papers + tests.

DONT FORGET, your overall grades also depend on your ISAs which are famous for dragging everyone's grades down!!! :tongue:
Original post by wrldprincezsz
YES!! as long as you have a thorough understanding and go through the past papers/mark schemes AND examiner's report then you will be fine. also, i dont use mygcsescience because it just doesn't work for me personally, so i prefer to watch freesciencelessons vids repeatedly. e.g. go through all of the units each week bit by bit & do past papers + tests.

DONT FORGET, your overall grades also depend on your ISAs which are famous for dragging everyone's grades down!!! :tongue:

I'm happy because I got full UMS in all three of my ISAs :colondollar: so it helps me a lot if I screw up in one of the exams.

Sometimes I find mygcsescience boring so I get distracted and I don't learn anything. I have done all my ISAs by now and I think I got an A for all them.
Original post by Quizlet
I'm happy because I got full UMS in all three of my ISAs :colondollar: so it helps me a lot if I screw up in one of the exams.

How do you know what you got for your ISAs? The teachers are not allowed to tell us our results in our school
How do you know what you got for your ISAs? The teachers are not allowed to tell us our results in our school

The teachers tell us our results before moderation.
Original post by Quizlet
The teachers tell us our results before moderation.

Ok. Thanks
Reply 15
Sometimes I find mygcsescience boring so I get distracted and I don't learn anything. I have done all my ISAs by now and I think I got an A for all them.

I agree, mygcsescience videos can be very slow and monotonous, although they do have some good info. Personally I like Get To Know Science because the videos are in a similar style but much more to-the-point. Also he has much better explanations which help me understand the science, rather than just fact-cramming. I guess you just have to find what works for you best!
Original post by Mo H
I agree, mygcsescience videos can be very slow and monotonous, although they do have some good info. Personally I like Get To Know Science because the videos are in a similar style but much more to-the-point. Also he has much better explanations which help me understand the science, rather than just fact-cramming. I guess you just have to find what works for you best!

Very true. I just found out about Gettoknowscience and I am going to use it for topics that I do not understand.
Which website is better? mygcsescience or freesciencelessons. I want to use freesciencelessons as it is short and straight to the point but i am worries that it is not detailed enought to get the As and A*s. Along with past papers, is freesciencelessons.com good enough to get me the top grades or should i use mygcsescience?

FREE SCIENCE LESSONS!!!:biggrin:

But the ISA'S were SO easy?!:tongue:
Original post by sunshine774
FREE SCIENCE LESSONS!!!:biggrin:

But the ISA'S were SO easy?!:tongue:

honestly the fail rate of science would go up like 20% if it wasn't for ISA's :ahee:
Original post by Quizlet
honestly the fail rate of science would go up like 20% if it wasn't for ISA's :ahee:

Ha ha yes!:tongue: They were very tedious to do I remember- but the questions are VERY easy because they are practically the same every year!:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest