The Student Room Group

Need advice about what to do- sixth form

I'm not enjoying sixth form right now. I'm doing my AS levels but I don't enjoy any of my lessons (Biology- I love it? But I just don't like learning for an exam, and we're so far behind Math- literally makes me feel stupid Sociology- I like the subject, but I hate the teachers/class and I can't stand the thought of a written exam), have no close friends and don't like being there. At the minute I just want to leave, but I feel because I'm "smart" (4A*, 6A and a B) I feel pressured to follow to sixth form/university route. It doesn't help that I have mild depression (I don't know whether that's a factor or not) and I go through phases of wanting things, last week I wanted to do a biology degree but now I want to join the army? I'm just really confused at what to do! (I know I should just stay even if to keep my options open but I'm miserable there..)
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not enjoying sixth form right now. I'm doing my AS levels but I don't enjoy any of my lessons (Biology- I love it? But I just don't like learning for an exam, and we're so far behind Math- literally makes me feel stupid Sociology- I like the subject, but I hate the teachers/class and I can't stand the thought of a written exam), have no close friends and don't like being there. At the minute I just want to leave, but I feel because I'm "smart" (4A*, 6A and a B) I feel pressured to follow to sixth form/university route. It doesn't help that I have mild depression (I don't know whether that's a factor or not) and I go through phases of wanting things, last week I wanted to do a biology degree but now I want to join the army? I'm just really confused at what to do! (I know I should just stay even if to keep my options open but I'm miserable there..)

I know what you mean, and right now you're having second doubts about whether or not you are sure you made the right choice. This is natural, and especially with the Maths thing, they do tend to go at a slow pace, mainly to compensate for those who perhaps don't pick up the material easier than others. Take it from me, an A2 student who almost failed most of his subjects (Maths (failed), Biology, Chemistry, French, EPQ) they are not as bad as everybody makes it out to seem.

It's just our brain causing us to be anxious and there's no need to be, I promise. The depression is something that you can work with and use it to your advantage, almost like a form of drive. When you were little, what did you want to do?
Hi,

I am sorry to hear you are feeling this way. This might sound weird but reading this was very strange as you have basically described exactly what I am going through right now. The only difference between us is I take biology/chemistry/geography. It is very odd that we are both experiencing the same problem with wanting a biology degree one week and being in the army the next- this happened to me this week!! For your depression does school know/are you seeing anybody about it for example CAMHS?

I am here to talk if you would like. Sending virtual hugs!
Reply 3
Hi,

I am sorry to hear you are feeling this way. This might sound weird but reading this was very strange as you have basically described exactly what I am going through right now. The only difference between us is I take biology/chemistry/geography. It is very odd that we are both experiencing the same problem with wanting a biology degree one week and being in the army the next- this happened to me this week!! For your depression does school know/are you seeing anybody about it for example CAMHS?

I am here to talk if you would like. Sending virtual hugs!

Really?? I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I am seeing camhs but school don't know (I don't real want to make a fuss about anything) if you get any better ideas/help about what to do can you tell me?😂😂
Thanks for the hugs (I need them🤗)
Really?? I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I am seeing camhs but school don't know (I don't real want to make a fuss about anything) if you get any better ideas/help about what to do can you tell me?😂😂
Thanks for the hugs (I need them🤗)

Yes it was actually weird like I could have written that post myself. I am glad you are seeing CAMHS and hoping they are helping- I am also a patient of CAMHS. I have told my head of year at school and she is luckily very supportive. I understand about the not making a fuss bit, but honestly it made it so much easier having someone knowing what you're going through and also makes bad days easier so you don't just look 'lazy' as I know how debilitating having depression can be. At the moment, I am really struggling with everything and am yet to find something that really helps me. I am an odd bod because I don't like watching films and although I used to love reading when I was younger I find my mind wondering now when I try to get into a good book. The only thing that helps for me right now is a hot bath as it makes my body relax. Is there anything which helps you?

Quick Reply

Latest