The Student Room Group

Maths revision resources help :(

Alright. So I want to learn Maths (9-1 GCSE) from scratch.
In year 9, we had an incompetant teacher who played games all the time,
in year 10, we had another incompetant teacher who was removed and replaced by a better one, and now we have the same guy (who's got a PHD in maths) who teaches us currently in year 11. I have about 3 months left till the GCSE exams and I currently feel that I absolutely suck at maths.

About 2 months ago, in our first mock exams, I recieved about 55/240 marks, which was a U. The highest in my class was a scale 4, this was set 1 too.

Does anyone know any good sources which teach literally everything concisely? And please not mathsgenie, i've used it and the guy doesn't go onto harder questions.

I need to get atleast a scale 6 in maths to do Compsci, Biology and Maths in college. Thanks!
I'm in the same situation as you!!
I'm also in year11, I can recommend some good sites. Hegartymaths(A good website, but your school needs to sign up), Gojimo, GCSE Bitesize, and make flash cards- so include your prior knowledge of an particular subject first and then see what you don't know.

I hope that helps?! I use them, and they are helpful. But it's all up too the person really! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Missdimples
I'm in the same situation as you!!
I'm also in year11, I can recommend some good sites. Hegartymaths(A good website, but your school needs to sign up), Gojimo, GCSE Bitesize, and make flash cards- so include your prior knowledge of an particular subject first and then see what you don't know.

I hope that helps?! I use them, and they are helpful. But it's all up too the person really! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks, and no, my crappy school hasn't signed up. It's literally one of the best sites, i'll just ask them to. I'll have a look at the other 2 and try to make flashcards too, thanks.
Original post by Legate Lanius
in year 10, we had another incompetant teacher who was removed and replaced by a better one, and now we have the same guy (who's got a PHD in maths) who teaches us currently in year 11. I have about 3 months left till the GCSE exams and I currently feel that I absolutely suck at maths.

About 2 months ago, in our first mock exams, I recieved about 55/240 marks, which was a U. The highest in my class was a scale 4, this was set 1 too.

Does anyone know any good sources which teach literally everything concisely? And please not mathsgenie, i've used it and the guy doesn't go onto harder questions.

I need to get atleast a scale 6 in maths to do Compsci, Biology and Maths in college. Thanks!

are you really in top set?
Original post by CraigBackner

Yes?
The whole year did bad.
One of the worst schools in the UK, but our year has improved greatly in maths.
Original post by CraigBackner

Here's a little proof:
wahtthehell.png
Reply 6

I know that you say maths genie doesn't cover higher topics but it actually does!!

If you go to mathsgenie.co.uk --> Gcse Revision you'll see that the topics are arranged in order from grade 1 - 9. My school uses this to print off their resources. I get what you mean though, the higher grade topics don't all have questions which you can access. Even though that some topics do not have accessible questions on the site, there are revision videos which you can watch and follow which I find helpful.

If there's a topic that doesn't have questions on the website, type in [topic name] then edexcel questions on google and it will come up I promise!

I'm also aiming for a grade 6 (B) for maths! I was supposed to be entered for foundation but have been entered for higher instead because I have the ability to get a grade 6 if I work a bit harder.
Original post by JackT2000
I know that you say maths genie doesn't cover higher topics but it actually does!!

If you go to mathsgenie.co.uk --> Gcse Revision you'll see that the topics are arranged in order from grade 1 - 9. My school uses this to print off their resources. I get what you mean though, the higher grade topics don't all have questions which you can access. Even though that some topics do not have accessible questions on the site, there are revision videos which you can watch and follow which I find helpful.

If there's a topic that doesn't have questions on the website, type in [topic name] then edexcel questions on google and it will come up I promise!

I'm also aiming for a grade 6 (B) for maths! I was supposed to be entered for foundation but have been entered for higher instead because I have the ability to get a grade 6 if I work a bit harder.

Alright, thanks.
Reply 8
Alright, thanks.

No problem!

Are you on edexcel to for maths?
No problem!

Are you on edexcel to for maths?

Yes.
Reply 10
Yes.

Do you know when the first exam is, do you have your exam timetable yet?
Do you know when the first exam is, do you have your exam timetable yet?

For me:
Maths paper 1 (non calculator) - Thursday 25th May
Maths paper 2 (calculator) - Thursday 8th June
Maths paper 3 (calculator) - Thursday 13th June
Reply 12
For me:
Maths paper 1 (non calculator) - Thursday 25th May
Maths paper 2 (calculator) - Thursday 8th June
Maths paper 3 (calculator) - Thursday 13th June

Ok thanks. So do you have your timetable then?
Ok thanks. So do you have your timetable then?

Yes.
Omg! i am in the exactttttttttt same position as you, exact same things happened to me and i am also aiming for 6 but got U in mocks with 44. i figured this new website out just type in "bland in maths" in google and they give topic papers in the style of 9-1 papers (past papers dont help me tbh) and also exam solutions is helpful has structured videos by topic. Other people seem to like corbett maths though it hasnt helped me personally but you could give it a try.
Oh and how are you finding 9-1 English?
Search for maths sites on twitter.
Some that come to mind
@bennettmaths
@corbettmaths
@mrbartonmaths

Quick Reply

Latest