The Student Room Group

Retaking year 12

Hi everyone
I want to repeat AS because I feel like I'm not doing the right subjects and private institutions are every expensive. Would repeating a year because of not picking the right subjects effect my chances of getting into Russell group universities?

What if I get AAA/AAB in my current AS but want to do other subjects next year, I'm not retaking anything just doing other subjects what would happen?
Original post by Bettybo
Hi everyone
I want to repeat AS because I feel like I'm not doing the right subjects and private institutions are every expensive. Would repeating a year because of not picking the right subjects effect my chances of getting into Russell group universities?

What if I get AAA/AAB in my current AS but want to do other subjects next year, I'm not retaking anything just doing other subjects what would happen?

Depends on the subject and the uni - the answer is, it probably doesn't matter as long as you get the grades. I know it's anecdotal and can't be relied on, but for example I have a friend who did poorly in AS (different to your situation, mind), finished second year AS with AAC and got an offer from KCL for Biomed.

There were also a mix of people that either repeated Year 12 or Year 13 and so in the same year, all went off to Warwick to study Engineering etc.

If we're talking medicine or Oxbridge I'm not sure what the policy would be if you did well in Year 12 but with the wrong subjects.
Original post by SeanFM
Depends on the subject and the uni - the answer is, it probably doesn't matter as long as you get the grades. I know it's anecdotal and can't be relied on, but for example I have a friend who did poorly in AS (different to your situation, mind), finished second year AS with AAC and got an offer from KCL for Biomed.

There were also a mix of people that either repeated Year 12 or Year 13 and so in the same year, all went off to Warwick to study Engineering etc.

If we're talking medicine or Oxbridge I'm not sure what the policy would be if you did well in Year 12 but with the wrong subjects.

If you are talking about medicine and you want to repeat year 12...I would strongly discourage it. I did the same thing and went to a private school to do my sixth form, and when it came to applying for universities I was really disappointed at the number of medical universities that do not accept a repeated year - although they are okay with a gap year...but dreams for medicine doesn't stop here - I am going abroad, either Czech or Hungary hopefully...
Reply 3
Original post by Bettybo
Hi everyone

I failed my first AS year and retook it and it hasn't affected my application to study for Dietetics - I guess it depends on what course you're looking at and might be worth contacting the university's directly ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest