The Student Room Group

Best Math Universities outside of COWI

it seems everyone and their dog knows the big four universities for Maths in this country are Cambridge Oxford Imperial College and Warwick.

However whatever happens next year I will find myself applying for at least two universities outside of these four. Since we can only choose one from Oxbridge and we have five choices. Hopefully it will only be two outside these 3 but we time will answer that.

I am sure some people would disagree with me but if I had to assemble a top 15 not including these four I would come up with

This isn't intended to be in any particular order of rank but obviously I thought of more of the better universities first. A notable omission is LSE I don't count them because as far as I am aware they don't do a straight Maths course it is always combined with something else.
I am just wondering where people would rank these universities. I also missed out Southampton and York do you think that is fair or do you think they are better then some of the universities I have mentioned?

1. Durham
2. St Andrews
3. Bristol
4. Bath
5. Edinburgh
6. Nottingham
7. UCL
8. Glasgow
9. Exeter
10. Newcastle
11. Leeds
12. Birmingham
13. Surrey
14. Lough borough
15. Manchester

Scroll to see replies

A pretty accurate list, though I'd probably move St Andrews a few places down, UCL a few places up, and completely get rid of Surrey and Loughborough. Southampton and York aren't terrible per se, but I wouldn't have them on the list either.
wow i just realised i applied to 3 of the 4 unis in COWI, didnt realise it. The list is fairly accurate, though a more genreal one would include LSE even though they dont do a staright maths course.
Reply 3
Original post by Samendra
wow i just realised i applied to 3 of the 4 unis in COWI, didnt realise it. The list is fairly accurate, though a more genreal one would include LSE even though they dont do a staright maths course.

yeah that is what puts me Off LSE I want to do a straight maths course Obviously If I was to include them they would definitely get a strong place on the list but they don't do a straight maths course so they dont really count in my view.

I have promised myself if I get the grades to go to their Open day if I can because I should always just check it out but I don't think I will be applying their for that reason.

I am definitely interested in looking into statistics and how financial Modelling can work but I don't want that to be the sole focus of my studies their are other areas I would like to look at to.

Primarily Chaos theory, possibly digital Physics but I think probably not because i get the feeling that is for Physics degrees not Maths ones.

However I am not looking into courses thoroughly in depth yet until I have sat my first set of exams and got the results.
Original post by Luke7456
yeah that is what puts me Off LSE I want to do a straight maths course Obviously If I was to include them they would definitely get a strong place on the list but they don't do a straight maths course so they dont really count in my view.

I have promised myself if I get the grades to go to their Open day if I can because I should always just check it out but I don't think I will be applying their for that reason.

I am definitely interested in looking into statistics and how financial Modelling can work but I don't want that to be the sole focus of my studies their are other areas I would like to look at to.

Primarily Chaos theory, possibly digital Physics but I think probably not because i get the feeling that is for Physics degrees not Maths ones.

However I am not looking into courses thoroughly in depth yet until I have sat my first set of exams and got the results.

Maths+Phys degrees at COWI as as rigorous as straight maths it is still going to be hard. You could do joint honours like maths+stats at LSE, the course looks interesting.
Reply 5
Original post by Samendra
Maths+Phys degrees at COWI as as rigorous as straight maths it is still going to be hard. You could do joint honours like maths+stats at LSE, the course looks interesting.

Yeah have seen that course I think it would be worth further investigation but I have read on those forums it's not as intensive or hard maths as other places. Not sure if that is or is not true.

Basically if I got a degree from LSE in maths and X X been whatever choice I chose to combine with maths would I really have a full maths degree? E.g. Would I be as prepared for a masters degree in maths as I would be if say I had done a straight maths degree from Bristol Durham or UCL

Or even Exeter Newcastle Leeds?

I know LSE is more prestigious then those (maybe not UCL) but a maths and x degree does not seem likely to get me to the same mathematical ability as just a straight maths degree.

If the LSE maths degrees can be competitive in this way then sure for what I want that makes them very competitive if however they can't be it kind of leaves them out of the race on my eyes despite the prestige of LSE
Yeah have seen that course I think it would be worth further investigation but I have read on those forums it's not as intensive or hard maths as other places. Not sure if that is or is not true.

Basically if I got a degree from LSE in maths and X X been whatever choice I chose to combine with maths would I really have a full maths degree? E.g. Would I be as prepared for a masters degree in maths as I would be if say I had done a straight maths degree from Bristol Durham or UCL

Or even Exeter Newcastle Leeds?

I know LSE is more prestigious then those (maybe not UCL) but a maths and x degree does not seem likely to get me to the same mathematical ability as just a straight maths degree.

If the LSE maths degrees can be competitive in this way then sure for what I want that makes them very competitive if however they can't be it kind of leaves them out of the race on my eyes despite the prestige of LSE

I went for Maths+Phys personally as I would like the maths to be applied and dont think that I would particularly enjoy the proof aspect of maths degrees all the time, and actually enjoy physics :biggrin:
COWI(B) is seen frequently and so Bristol being next is not an unreasonable assertion.

http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~bl/wheretostudymathsuk.pdf

You may have seen this document already. Of course, it was created by a lecturer at Manchester so there is the opportunity for bias but it seems fair. In the case that it is acceptable, we could see Manchester ranked a little higher than your list might otherwise have.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Athematica
COWI(B) is seen frequently and so Bristol being next is not an unreasonable assertion.

http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~bl/wheretostudymathsuk.pdf

You may have seen this document already. Of course, it was created by a lecturer at Manchester so there is the opportunity for bias but it seems fair. In the case that it is acceptable, we could see Manchester ranked a little higher than your list might otherwise have.

In my preliminary thinking, since I'd like access to cities with a strong/vibrant youth/student culture, small towns like Warwick, Durham and Cambridge are removed from my list, and the cost of living in London makes me reluctant to apply there also. And so there is a probably a pool that looks something like: Oxford, Bristol, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Manchester, with Oxford being a strong 'maybe'.

Yeah I have been thinking when things are unfamiliar to me I can get anxious and have an anxiety crash. where by I can no longer follow anything until I calm down again. at its worst I cant even follow a kids cartoon.

This makes me question If Cambridge or Oxford are good choices for me. the short terms means since everything is so compressed if I hit an anxiety attack I am in a lot more trouble then say if I was at Warwick.

Then I hear people say I am not that smart and want to right me off, which I have had for my entire life and ultimately A degree from Oxbridge is the ultimate Debunk to that.

It seems there are only two universities in this whole country who near everyone recognizes immediately. That is Oxford and Cambridge.

Rather Surprisingly I find if you mention UCL or Imperial college most people this county are unfamiliar with them.

Most people are unfamiliar with University League tables rankings etc.

heck if I mentioned I went to Imperial College or Warwick most people would not know the difference between them and say Sheffield Hallam or Portsmouth.

Naturally people will assume whichever university I Go to that it was crap. If I got into Oxford they would likely assume It was Oxford Brookes and if I got into Cambridge they would likely assume it was Anglia Ruskin.

They will smile and say that is a very good university but in the back of their minds people will be thinking aww thats very good for the autistic retard. Probably thinking I have the degree the equivalent of a GCSE or etc.

Maybe I should not worry so much what other people think of me as tbh most people will always think low of me. What really matters is what I think of myself and my achievements, and I know Warwick is a very prestigious university and world class for maths.

and you can't bash Imperial Who are a top ten in the world. Though I have heard the Imperial Maths course does not cover much statistics or probability, which is a field I really want to go further with. Its one of the main areas I want to cover and Warwick has so many options they pretty much cover everything.

If it wasn't for the anti semetiscm Oxford would come on my list instead of Cambridge because they have a Course that follows a lot of statistics. Though I have not started looking at courses in depth.

I thought Durham was supposed to be stronger for Maths then Bristol I guess I am wrong though.
Lol. I do one of the most quant degrees at LSE and trust me, it's not great for maths. It's certainly got the rep but if you're looking to satisfy your thirst for maths you're not going to find it here

You need to scrutnisie the content of 'maths' degree if you are interested in stats My degree covered a very wde range including chaos, relativity, fluids, OR, ... as well as all the pure topics,

I rejected an Oxbridge place because there was so little applied maths in the course when I applied and that was not evident before interview [no internet then].
LSE is only good for the finance sort of maths, but the uni itself has a great reputation so that's why their maths courses are so competitive. But if you're interested in the applications of maths in economics then lse is great
Reply 12
Original post by Muttley79
You need to scrutnisie the content of 'maths' degree if you are interested in stats My degree covered a very wde range including chaos, relativity, fluids, OR, ... as well as all the pure topics,

I rejected an Oxbridge place because there was so little applied maths in the course when I applied and that was not evident before interview [no internet then].

Wow your degree sounds perfect I really want to get into statistics and Chaos theory. I keep hearing fluids but am oblivious to what that is currently. I also don't know what OR is short hand for but sure I will know at the time, and of course I want to cover the pure topics I just don't want to lose Probability that has always been my major area of interest in maths.

Original post by serions871
LSE is only good for the finance sort of maths, but the uni itself has a great reputation so that's why their maths courses are so competitive. But if you're interested in the applications of maths in economics then lse is great

I am definitely interested in the application of maths for economics. This too is an area I would be very keen to study. However what puts me off LSE is its to narrow I want to get into advanced math and probability not just the finance side of it.
Bath may be worth looking out. Has a placement year, covers a range of applied areas (physics, stats, decision, finance, teaching, econometrics...)

Challenging but not over the top challenging.
Reply 14
Original post by SeanFM
Bath may be worth looking out. Has a placement year, covers a range of applied areas (physics, stats, decision, finance, teaching, econometrics...)

Challenging but not over the top challenging.

That is what puts me off a bit I want to know I did completed the most challenging or one of the most challenging Math Degrees part of the attraction of Warwick.

However I guess what really puts me off Bath, is the fact it is where I met my ex. I don't believe It is appropriate to mention peoples names on these forums so I will refer to her in the most positive terms I am realistically able to bring myself to. So The thing is every time I am in Bath which is a beautiful town I am remaindered of Narcissistic gold digging whore which depresses me. Maybe in time in Bath I would forget about Narcissistic gold digging whore and come to appreciate the full beauty of the town and be happy. However their is also the possibility this hangs a long linger of depression.
... I keep hearing fluids but am oblivious to what that is currently. I also don't know what OR is short hand for but sure I will know at the time, and of course I want to cover the pure topics....

Fluid dynamics cover motion in air, water, etc some of it is tackled by CFD [computational fluid dynamics] programmes these days ie aerodynamic analysis around cars.

OR = operational research.

Maths degrees vary enormously -
Reply 16
Original post by Muttley79
Fluid dynamics cover motion in air, water, etc some of it is tackled by CFD [computational fluid dynamics] programmes these days ie aerodynamic analysis around cars.

OR = operational research.

Maths degrees vary enormously -

in regard to fluid Dynamics Sounds interesting I am guessing that would be the really hard stuff. However does sound appealing.

Operational research I am guessing just means researching into modern maths.

what university did you do your degree at just curious?
Reply 17

No it's something different:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operations_research
Reply 18
Okay well my list so far would include obviously the pure maths side

Also
probability and statistics
Chaos Theory
Operational research (which is what I really want out of a maths degree but have only just right now learned what it is called)

Fluid Dynamics sounds interesting but its not at the top of my priorities

and I would like to look at how this Math can be applied to the stock market and gambling theory as well.

I was thinking Warwick may be the best choice for university because they have so many modules they are bound to cover this. I would say those three are the big things I am aware of so far that I want to cover.

Operational research is exactly what I want from a degree I just have not researched the universities or maths courses in depth yet.

It's how Warwick describes it on their MORSE course info. It's about optimizations in discrete maths, most of the time, and relates to business etc. so in that sense it is modern mathematics.

Quick Reply

Latest