The Student Room Group

Finalising choices now??

So I've received all of my offer back and now need to choose firm and insurance.

Does waiting to make a choice mean that my place at the uni will be taken?
Original post by tuchaynz
So I've received all of my offer back and now need to choose firm and insurance.

No - if you've got an offer and you accept it before the 31st of May, then you have a place

No it doesnt, you get till may and your place can't been given to anyone else in that time, so no need to rush your decision :smile:
Reply 3
Just to let you know its the 5th of May
Reply 4
@leapinglucy @clairestelle Thanks for the reply!

You can wait up until the deadline that shows on YOUR Track (that could be early May or early June depending when you get your last offer back).

There's no benefit to rushing into it and no penalties for waiting until closer to the deadline.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
You can wait up until the deadline that shows on YOUR Track (that could be early May or early June depending when you get your last offer back).

There's no benefit to rushing into it and no penalties for waiting until closer to the deadline.

in some unis, you can only book accommodation once you firmed your offer. And the earlier you do it the bigger choice you have. That is quite a big benefit IMO
Original post by Nottie
in some unis, you can only book accommodation once you firmed your offer. And the earlier you do it the bigger choice you have. That is quite a big benefit IMO

UCAS FORBID universities from incentivising firm/insurance choices before the deadline.

If you think a university offers better accommodation to early firmers (before say April/May) then you've likely misunderstood the accommodation allocation process or the university is in breach of UCAS rules.

Most accommodation doesn't *actually* get allocated until August when the bulk of results are out - there's simply no real point before then. You might have the impression that you're getting more choice but it's an illusion.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
UCAS FORBID universities from incentivising firm/insurance choices before the deadline.

If you think a university offers better accommodation to early firmers (before say April/May) then you've likely misunderstood the accommodation allocation process or the university is in breach of UCAS rules.

Most accommodation doesn't *actually* get allocated until August when the bulk of results are out - there's simply no real point before then. You might have the impression that you're getting more choice but it's an illusion.

well it is not the case for Nottingham. I got my accommodation sorted in March, although I didn't have to pay anything until my offer got confirmed. Loads of people *knew* where they will be staying in April and May, with some more desirable places selling out before May.
Those who waited until they offer was confirmed usually ended up in the least wanted rooms.
Just to clarify - as of this week only 8% of applicants have picked a firm/insurance choice (and many of those will have applied with only a single firm favourite in mind from the start....ie most of the oxbridge offer holders will probably have made it their firm choice).

There aren't thousands of students getting a headstart on the "best" accommodation, places wont run out for taking the time allowed to make a good decision, rushing into a firm/insurance choice offers no advantages.
Original post by Nottie
well it is not the case for Nottingham. I got my accommodation sorted in March, although I didn't have to pay anything until my offer got confirmed. Loads of people *knew* where they will be staying in April and May, with some more desirable places selling out before May.
Those who waited until they offer was confirmed usually ended up in the least wanted rooms.

Applications for Nottingham don't even open until March - and as you say you didn't pay until your offer got confirmed. *If* you'd been allocated somewhere you weren't happy with applying earlier there would have been opportunities to change that in August when Nottingham rejected 10-30% of their offer holders for missing their grades.

You might have KNOWN but that doesn't mean those places were guaranteed to you unless you were already unconditional.

I'd be willing to bet there were clearing students and insurance students placed in the halls you consider more desirable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending