The Student Room Group

Oxford Pathways Applicants 2017

Hi, I have applied for the Oxford Pathways Year 12 days in March for biochemistry, chemistry and biomed. I was wondering if anyone else had applied for these study days, and if so what for. Has anyone heard back from them yet? I think the deadline is Feb 17th.
I don't think I'm likely to get on because Cambridge recently rejected me for something similar, probably because I live in quite a well off area.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Applied for maths! Haven't heard anything yet, though I'm not too hopeful as my GCSEs are average and my postcode's pretty good. Good luck!
I found out today that I got into the Engineering one on the 16th!
I got in for biochemistry on the 16th! I'm really surprised as I didn't think I would get in.
Got into physics on Wednesday the 15th! :h:
That's great! I'm excited but I don't know how I'm going to get there on my own tbh.
Original post by rachel5420
That's great! I'm excited but I don't know how I'm going to get there on my own tbh.

Same. Sucks being so far away. Hoping they'll be able to pay for my train ticket. It's a good 4-7 hours though depending on the route.
I'm only an hour away on the train so should be going up on my own in the morning.
Original post by kibi.coco
Same. Sucks being so far away. Hoping they'll be able to pay for my train ticket. It's a good 4-7 hours though depending on the route.

Wow :eek: It's like 2 hours for me and I thought that was a lot. Are you getting accommodation because it sounds like you need it lol.
Wow :eek: It's like 2 hours for me and I thought that was a lot. Are you getting accommodation because it sounds like you need it lol.

I hope so. They said they'll tell everyone soon. They've given priority to those who live furthest away and I'm pretty sure I qualify for that. :biggrin:
Reply 10
I didn't get in to computer science/maths but got put on a waiting list for both subjects :frown: I do live 20 mins away though, could this be the reason why? Got 8A*/4A GCSE
Original post by Gunjo
I didn't get in to computer science/maths but got put on a waiting list for both subjects :frown: I do live 20 mins away though, could this be the reason why? Got 8A*/4A GCSE

They don't really give priority to those who live further away when it comes to choosing who gets to attend. It's more about your background, your school and how well-off your area is. Distance from Oxford only matters when they're deciding whether or not to provide overnight accommodation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
They don't really give priority to those who live further away when it comes to choosing who gets to attend. It's more about your background, your school and how well-off your area is. Distance from Oxford only matters when they're deciding whether or not to provide overnight accommodation.

Ah oh well then
Original post by Gunjo

I hope you get in from the wait list. Definitely not due to your distance though. You got better GCSE grades than I did so I wouldn't think it it's that. They might have just been very competitive subjects this year.
Reply 14
Original post by kibi.coco
I hope you get in from the wait list. Definitely not due to your distance though. You got better GCSE grades than I did so I wouldn't think it it's that. They might have just been very competitive subjects this year.

Yeah must be I guess and hopefully :smile:
Didn't get in for maths - blaming my nice area! (7A* 5A predicted A*A*A*A)
Reply 16
Original post by memeeee
Didn't get in for maths - blaming my nice area! (7A* 5A predicted A*A*A*A)

Did you get into the waiting list? I applied for maths/comp sci as well and live in a nice area so rip :frown: Relatively same GCSE's as well and predictions
Original post by Gunjo
Did you get into the waiting list? I applied for maths/comp sci as well and live in a nice area so rip :frown: Relatively same GCSE's as well and predictions

Yess I did! Hopefully will still get on though I think unlikely? It's so frustrating living somewhere deemed too privileged for outreach programs yet not going to a posh enough school to get the links they have!
Reply 18
Original post by memeeee
Yess I did! Hopefully will still get on though I think unlikely? It's so frustrating living somewhere deemed too privileged for outreach programs yet not going to a posh enough school to get the links they have!

Yeah I totally understand you, same position as you. Have you applied to UNIQ as well for maths?
Original post by Gunjo
Yeah I totally understand you, same position as you. Have you applied to UNIQ as well for maths?

Nope, thought that one was too much based on area to even bother applying! Good luck if you did :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending