The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham College Allocation Thread - 2017

Scroll to see replies

Hi!

Been allocated place at Trevs! Don't know much about it, but from what I've seen and heard it seems okay?! Not as pretty as the bailey colleges, but I'm sure I'll love it once I'm there! Unsure on the whole room sharing thing at Trevs though - I've never yet had a good experience of sharing a room, so hopefully this time it works out okay! If anyone knows anything about Trevs then any info would great, it doesnt seem to be talked about as much as some of the other colleges making info hard to come by!

(Unconditional to study Business and Management)
(edited 7 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by JaBl44
I was reallocated, having expressed preference for St. Chads originally. Was really gutted at first because I loved the idea of a small, traditional college. However, I'm warming to the idea of Grey, mostly because it's near the Law School! Was it your preference?

Yes it was, mainly because it was close to the Law School and I just really liked it :smile:
Original post by zanna101
Hi!

Been allocated place at Trevs! Don't know much about it, but from what I've seen and heard it seems okay?! Not as pretty as the bailey colleges, but I'm sure I'll love it once I'm there! Unsure on the whole room sharing thing at Trevs though - I've never yet had a good experience of sharing a room, so hopefully this time it works out okay! If anyone knows anything about Trevs then any info would great, it doesnt seem to be talked about as much as some of the other colleges making info hard to come by!

I went to look at Trevs on the open day and it was ok! It's apparently a very musical college and has a great open mic night in their college bar. Also the set-out of the corridors makes it very sociable and easy to get to know people. With the shared rooms thing as well, they switch each term, so you can request to not share for the first term and share once you're most comfortable with it! :smile:

Hope this helps
Original post by hairyhippo
Hi all,

Is there anyone who still hasn't heard which college they have been allocated? My daughter got an offer from Durham back in October or November, but hasn't heard anything about her college. She applied to St Mary's, if that's relevant.

Thanks.

Daughter got both an email and a letter today - St Mary's it is :smile:
Original post by soooo0
Yaaaaaaaaas I did!! What course you doing??

Classics! How about you?
Original post by OrlandoWoolf
I went to look at Trevs on the open day and it was ok! It's apparently a very musical college and has a great open mic night in their college bar. Also the set-out of the corridors makes it very sociable and easy to get to know people. With the shared rooms thing as well, they switch each term, so you can request to not share for the first term and share once you're most comfortable with it! :smile:

Hope this helps

Musical eh? That could be interesting - maybe my musical talents have been waiting until now to show themselves! Yeah, sharing shouldn't be too bad, its only for a term anyway and it sounds like they actually put some consideration into who you share with, so hopefully it will be okay... I think it's just my past experiences have put me off! Do they have any traditions or formals do you know?:colondollar:
Original post by thomasobrien
I got into St Aidans as well! What subject are you planning to study?

Hi, my son has been allocated St Aidan's studying physics. What about you?
Original post by Phoebb
Yeah; the one on 22nd but staying overnight on 21st as live disgustingly far away

I'm doing that one also! I now know of 2 people that I've met on TSR staying there on this day yay. I'm about 6 hours away so would need to stay overnight regardless xD.
Hi!

I've been allocated a place at Trevs too! I'm also a bit scared of the room sharing thing, but I've heard that if you're sharing in the first term you fill out a form with likes/dislikes/hobbies etc and they match you up with someone compatible. Otherwise, in the other 2 terms you choose who you share with, so it actually doesn't seem as daunting. Trevs is very musical & friendly- pretty much the reasons I picked it. It's one of the smaller colleges but many people have said that they liked that aspect of it because you get to know everyone and the shared landings just make that easier. And apparently the food is quite good xD
Musical eh? That could be interesting - maybe my musical talents have been waiting until now to show themselves! Yeah, sharing shouldn't be too bad, its only for a term anyway and it sounds like they actually put some consideration into who you share with, so hopefully it will be okay... I think it's just my past experiences have put me off! Do they have any traditions or formals do you know?:colondollar:

I know they have formal dinners! The people i spoke to on the open day also said how the people you get put with for sharing will often end up being your best friend so i'm sure you won't have a repeat of your past experiences :smile:
Original post by baznoy
I've been allocated a place at Trevs too! I'm also a bit scared of the room sharing thing, but I've heard that if you're sharing in the first term you fill out a form with likes/dislikes/hobbies etc and they match you up with someone compatible. Otherwise, in the other 2 terms you choose who you share with, so it actually doesn't seem as daunting. Trevs is very musical & friendly- pretty much the reasons I picked it. It's one of the smaller colleges but many people have said that they liked that aspect of it because you get to know everyone and the shared landings just make that easier. And apparently the food is quite good xD

hey im at trevs too, what subject are you gonna be doing??
Original post by rishi.sekhri
hey im at trevs too, what subject are you gonna be doing??

I'll be doing Natural Sciences- maths, phys & chem. What about yourself?
Reply 212
Hi so i applied for 2 courses at durham. Natural sciences & Chemistry.
My preferred college was josephine butler.
I was allocated JB for chemistry but st aidans for nat sci.
I want to firm nat sci and was wondering if the josephine butler placement could be swapped with the st aidan's one to allow me to study nat sci and go to JB college.

I was wondering if anyone knows if this would be possible if i rang up?
Pretty uncommon situation you've got there - can't be any harm in ringing up/writing to the college and asking I wouldn't have thought! Neither college is a bad choice, St Aidans is right next to the science site
Original post by baznoy
I'll be doing Natural Sciences- maths, phys & chem. What about yourself?

Ooh nice, I'll be doing earth science :smile:
Original post by jessm8
I got allocated VM for criminology are you going to the March residential stat?

I'm an American, so no, but if you do let me know how it goes!
Original post by mynameistara
Classics! How about you?

Education Studies with Psychology! Are you going to one of the residentials??
Yes!! I was allocated to Van Mildert and have just been emailed saying it was a mistake. I've now been reallocated to St Chads!:smile:
Reply 218
Original post by SonnyP21
I'm an American, so no, but if you do let me know how it goes!

Yes I'm going so I'll let you know how it is!
Original post by thomasobrien
I got into St Aidans as well! What subject are you planning to study?

Hi my son has been allocated St Aidans too studying physics

Quick Reply

Latest