The Student Room Group

UK must build 300000 homes a year to solve housing crisis

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/07/14/england-needs-to-build-50pc-more-homes-than-governments-target-s/

There is a chronic housing shortage in the UK, pushing up prices to unaffordable amounts. Not only that, but new homes have never been smaller.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/feb/11/welcome-rabbit-hutch-britain-land-ever-shrinking-home

With a crisis like this, how can we even think about taking in more immigrants or refugees?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Ladbants
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/07/14/england-needs-to-build-50pc-more-homes-than-governments-target-s/

There is a chronic housing shortage in the UK, pushing up prices to unaffordable amounts. Not only that, but new homes have never been smaller.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/feb/11/welcome-rabbit-hutch-britain-land-ever-shrinking-home

With a crisis like this, how can we even think about taking in more immigrants or refugees?

The housing crisis is driven by two main factors, and immigration isn't one of them. The UK's ageing population, and the overall decrease in household size are the major reasons we don't have enough places to live.

Since we're not going to be killing off pensioners or forcing strangers to share houses, the only solution we have is to build more. Unfortunately, doing so would reduce house prices (or at least slow their increase), so the government doesn't want to do it, home owners are predominantly Tory voters. So while they'll make all the noises about how they're going to fix the problem and that they're setting targets and whatnot, don't expect the housing crisis to be solved any time soon.
300,000 people moved to the UK last year alone. Are you sure it's not to do with immigration?
Original post by Dez
The housing crisis is driven by two main factors, and immigration isn't one of them.

I think you'll find that the increase in Britain's population by such extraordinary amounts as it has over the past years, and the expected rise by another ten million inside the next twenty-five years, is overwhelmingly due to the direct and indirect results of uncontrolled migration.
Reply 4
Original post by Good bloke
I think you'll find that the increase in Britain's population by such extraordinary amounts as it has over the past years, and the expected rise by another ten million inside the next twenty-five years, is overwhelmingly due to the direct and indirect results of uncontrolled migration.

Impact on population is not the same as impact on housing. Migration is a factor for the latter, but even if you reduced net migration to zero the UK would still have a housing crisis.
Reply 5
In order to solve the housing crisis we need to make it harder for people to come in and make it easier to deport people. Especially those who don't want to integrate.
Original post by RedManc
In order to solve the housing crisis we need to make it harder for people to come in and make it easier to deport people. Especially those who don't want to integrate.

We could make a start with speeding up the deportation process and getting on with it for the people who have had their applications and appeals rejected. Those vermin who abused the girls in Rotherham who are now going to be deported back to Pakistan after having their appeal to remain in the UK [ the cheek of it] rejected; how many weeks or even months is it going to take until they are actually on a plane? BTW, deport them? I'd have ****ing shot them.
Gov could really do with building 16 storey apartment blocks like other countries do; this time following stringent designs which allow the structures to last. What they built in the 1950s and 60s all fell apart by year 2000
Original post by Dez
Impact on population is not the same as impact on housing

Your position in your first post is that immigration is not a factor in the housing shortage, but that aging population and smaller households are. This is clearly wrong as a population increase of over 400,000 a year causes a much bigger impact those other factors.

If it were not for continued high immigration the housing shortage could be solved quite quickly, but high immigration means it can never be solved.
Original post by Dez
Impact on population is not the same as impact on housing. Migration is a factor for the latter, but even if you reduced net migration to zero the UK would still have a housing crisis.

While you cannot say that Immigration is the sole cause of the housing crisis it is a big one.

We had a new housing estate built nearish to us and it is filled with polish chavs, it is horrible and had a negative impact on our village.
Reply 10
Looks like we need to build more homes
Original post by Mathemagicien
The UK's population growth rate used to be much higher for much longer in the past couple of hundreds years,

At that point we hadn't reached the limits of what our transport infrastructure could achieve and didn't mind people living five to a room without a toilet. Do you wish to return to that situation?
Reply 12
Your position in your first post is that immigration is not a factor in the housing shortage, but that aging population and smaller households are.

That is not what I said. I said that migration is a factor, but that it isn't the biggest issue to be concerned with. And I maintain that building more houses is the only viable solution, simply reducing net migration would not help enough.

If it were not for continued high immigration the housing shortage could be solved quite quickly, but high immigration means it can never be solved.

Both of these statements are false.
Original post by Mathemagicien
I agree, we need to invest more on infrastructure. My point is that it is an infrastructue issue, rather than an "overpopulation" issue.

Infrastructure depends on both land and a suitable position for it. You may have noticed that Britain ceased producing land in large quantities before the last ice age.

The M1, for instance, cannot feasibly be given a doubled capacity, and neither can the Birmingham outer circular circle. Even if that were possible, and it could be afforded, it would would take upwards of twenty years to achieve.

Do you want to live in a forty-storey tower block between an airport and a motorway, and have no hospital within twenty miles and needing to commute for two hours to get to work ten miles away? That is what we are heading towards.

I suspect the liberal attitude of today's youth towards immigration will lead them to a life of dwelling in individual rooms concrete tower blocks and no fresh air. Still, as long as people can move around between countries freely, who cares?
Original post by Dez
That is not what I said. I said that migration is a factor, but that it isn't the biggest issue to be concerned with. And I maintain that building more houses is the only viable solution, simply reducing net migration would not help enough.

Unless the immigrants bring land and houses with them, it obviously is the main factor.The shortage is estimated at between 230,000 and 300,000 new units a year. How many units do you think 400,000 plus immigrants can be crammed into? How many units are needed to house those already here (or the nation's youth who have been displaced), and their children's families as they grow up? The answer is that it is the lion's share of the shortfall.

Its as Dez says the main driving factors are people living longer and changes in society such as divorce or separation. That is also part of the reason for smaller house sizes.

There are also other reasons that can explain why we no longer build as many houses.

We have immigration because they support the economy. We will soon be leaving the EU, which means it will be greatly restricted in future.

We accept a relatively small number of refugees compared to our size and other countries. We do so because we have signed international agreements to assist and are obliged to keep our word.
Original post by kurt45
. Of course I understand that your small brain can only just grasp the basic supply and demand concept but things are more complicated than that.

Naturally, insulting those who disagree with you is the best way to advance your argument. If it should, for some unknown reason, fail you can always shout.
Reply 17
Naturally, insulting those who disagree with you is the best way to advance your argument. If it should, for some unknown reason, fail you can always shout.

And focusing on the ad hom and completely ignoring the point was making also advances the argument.

You havent got anything to say, so you drone in on the ad hom to make a point. Try again degenerate.

Because they dont give a damn about YOU or house prices.. its doesnt effect them and they really dont care if you are trapped renting something for an astronomical ammount for the rest of your life with no security and nothing to leave behind
Original post by kurt45
And focusing on the ad hom and completely ignoring the point was making also advances the argument.

You havent got anything to say, so you drone in on the ad hom to make a point. Try again degenerate.

Any argument you might have made was drowned by the insult. Escalating the insults before starting to shout is a good tactic I must learn from: it's bound to get the message over.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending