The Student Room Group

Advanced Diploma in Economics Cambridge 2016-2017 application

I applied recently to cambridge for an advanced diploma, but a bit nervous as I dont know my chances. I am studying Philosophy, Politics and Economics (BSc) at Royal Holloway, expected to get a first, first year 70% (did quantitative methods I so first year mathematics and econometrics), and second year I averaged 77% with 85% in intermediate macro and 80% in intermediate micro, published author on comparative economics, won three awards for academic excellence, one of them was a scholarship worth £5000 and currently doing an extra cirricular subject in quantitative methods II (intermediate econometrics) - although it is not assessed, I have also tutored first year undergraduates quantitative methods I and second year undergraduates macroeconomics. Wanted to know if these are good odds?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, did you manage to get an offer? I'm thinking of applying now.
Thanks
Reply 2
Nothing yet unfortunately, what are your credentials? Thanks :smile:
Reply 3
Ah ok, good luck. The deadline is the end of this month so will probably start hearing things after that.

I just graduated from an engineering degree. Not much economics exposure at all, which means I'm struggling to put together a decent personal statement.

Your credentials look very good for the course. I'd say you have a strong chance of getting an offer
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Noybb
Ah ok, good luck. The deadline is the end of this month so will probably start hearing things after that.

I just graduated from an engineering degree. Not much economics exposure at all, which means I'm struggling to put together a decent personal statement.

Your credentials look very good for the course. I'd say you have a strong chance of getting an offer

Good luck! Thats what the diploma is about so you shpuld be fine, esp with maths in engineering.
Reply 5
Anyone heard back yet ?
Reply 6
Original post by Cphi
Anyone heard back yet ?

Nothing yet, they did say to me that their decisions are usually in feb/march, what are your credentials?
Reply 7
Original post by ibn.kaiser
Nothing yet, they did say to me that their decisions are usually in feb/march, what are your credentials?

Ah you contacted them ? Thought it would be a bit earlier as there are not that many applicants
Reply 8
Original post by Cphi
Ah you contacted them ? Thought it would be a bit earlier as there are not that many applicants

Yeah I thought the same, but they replied and gave me that timeline.
Reply 9
Do they interview for this course?
Reply 10
Original post by Noybb
Do they interview for this course?

No :smile:
Reply 11
You are all under consideration by degree committee ?
Reply 12
Original post by Cphi
You are all under consideration by degree committee ?

I am at least!
Reply 13
I am at least!

Did you also apply for the diploma in Warwick ?
Reply 14
Original post by Cphi
Did you also apply for the diploma in Warwick ?

No, too far for me unfortunately, even though I would have liked to.
Has anyone heard anything? I am still 'Under Consideration by Degree Committee'
Reply 16
Original post by pheconomics
Has asnyone heard anything? I am still 'Under Consideration by Degree Committee'

Same here, I emailed them today, and I heard word from another applicant.

They replied: I have not received any decisions on the Diploma applications yet, but I would hope to be able to give you a decision within the next two weeks. Best wishes Joanna Gathercole Graduate Admissions - Economics
Reply 17
Same here, I emailed them today, and I heard word from another applicant.

They replied: I have not received any decisions on the Diploma applications yet, but I would hope to be able to give you a decision within the next two weeks. Best wishes Joanna Gathercole Graduate Admissions - Economics

What are your credentials btw pheconomics?
Ah thanks for the intel. I guess that means that no-one applying for the diploma has a decision yet.

My background is a bit of a mixed bag so I am not too hopeful really.

I am a final year on an MPhys course at a top 10 uni. I got 77% in third year and projected as potential top finisher in the year group. For the hardest maths module in the course I got 93% and then 92% in another mathematical module on complexity science. Every other module in third year I got firsts in the region of 71-81%. I do additional Econ modules alongside the Physics course and have 83% in Mathematical Economics and 84% and 82% in Econometrics mid terms. I interned at a top investment bank and also started a strategy consultancy with some students from my university. HOWEVER, I have a terrible first year at 56% and second year is only 68%.
Reply 19
Original post by pheconomics
Ah thanks for the intel. I guess that means that no-one applying for the diploma has a decision yet.

My background is a bit of a mixed bag so I am not too hopeful really.

I am a final year on an MPhys course at a top 10 uni. I got 77% in third year and projected as potential top finisher in the year group. For the hardest maths module in the course I got 93% and then 92% in another mathematical module on complexity science. Every other module in third year I got firsts in the region of 71-81%. I do additional Econ modules alongside the Physics course and have 83% in Mathematical Economics and 84% and 82% in Econometrics mid terms. I interned at a top investment bank and also started a strategy consultancy with some students from my university. HOWEVER, I have a terrible first year at 56% and second year is only 68%.

How much did the first and second year count towards your final degree, what do you think you will end up on overall for your degree, i.e percentage wise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending