The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, no they're not. Well - perhaps my class is full of idiots but that's a different story. If you're doing Level 2 BTEC or below then yeah it's for idiots (apologies for those that might be offended, but from my perspective it is for idiots who can't get 5 GCSEs.)

If you're planning to go to uni you need to do level 3 extended diploma which is worth 3 A levels. Any top uni now accepts btec (even oxbridge but you need to study an A level next to that btec in order to be considered)

So, is it for idiots - no I don't believe that's the case, yes there'll be few idiots but you can get into uni with btec if you want to.
Reply 2
Definately not, obviously there are idiots who end up getting bad grades, but that's the same with any course.

My BTEC got me into a good university and in my opinion has prepared me very well for my degree- a lot of the stuff in my first year was covered on the BTEC

I think that this is just a stigma that stems from secondary school where kids did like level 1 or 2 instead of GCSE's but Level 3 and up is a different story, most of the time a BTEC will be a lot better than an A level in a similar subject for example on my IT BTEC we covered everything and more than Computing and IT A levels and BTECs are usually preffered by employers for skilled jobs, an A level does not neccesserily prepare you for work where BTEC does, as well as preparing you for university, although it can be quite limited and probably A levels would be better if you don't know what you want to do at uni or as a job, but if you know what field you want to go into, BTEC is the way in my opinion- if the subject is offered of course

But unfortunately it does carry that stigma that its for less intelligent people, which really isn't true, especially for technical subjects like IT, Engineering, Electronics. Science etc.
Original post by yt7777
Definately not, obviously there are idiots who end up getting bad grades, but that's the same with any course.

My BTEC got me into a good university and in my opinion has prepared me very well for my degree- a lot of the stuff in my first year was covered on the BTEC

I think that this is just a stigma that stems from secondary school where kids did like level 1 or 2 instead of GCSE's but Level 3 and up is a different story, most of the time a BTEC will be a lot better than an A level in a similar subject for example on my IT BTEC we covered everything and more than Computing and IT A levels and BTECs are usually preffered by employers for skilled jobs, an A level does not neccesserily prepare you for work where BTEC does, as well as preparing you for university, although it can be quite limited and probably A levels would be better if you don't know what you want to do at uni or as a job, but if you know what field you want to go into, BTEC is the way in my opinion- if the subject is offered of course

But unfortunately it does carry that stigma that its for less intelligent people, which really isn't true, especially for technical subjects like IT, Engineering, Electronics. Science etc.

In many respects the place where you done the BTEC does come into play; some colleges/sixth forms pass anything on a piece of paper as opposed to thoroughly reading the work.

But yeah.. I wholeheartedly agree with this..
I am in my second year of a Level 3 BTEC and when I tell people I get judged a fair amount, but the joke's on them because i'm working at the equivalent of A*A*A, and have offers from good universities. I know people who have taken the first year of A-Levels and failed, and are now re-taking or switching to BTEC
To be honest there's a lot of dumb people in my course, but that might be more the fact that it's an art and design course rather than something academic, so they're more creative than academic

All in all, no, the stereotype still exists though so be ready to laugh at people's criticism when they do worse than you

(also, I find my BTEC course incredibly easy, and I do much less work than my a-level taking friends so in my opinion it's a wise choice)
Reply 5
I'll just throw in my perspective.

No it's not for idiots. As mentioned above, there are quite a few idiots in every BTEC course however these are usually weeded out by the second year (according to my lecturers). The current changes to BTEC which were implemented this year has seen to it that it will be a lot more difficult to obtain high grades because the feedback is limited, there is only two submissions and every assignment now has a strict deadline. Once the people who started under these new limitations have finished, people will begin to notice the significant decrease in people obtaining the higher grades and begin to realise that maybe it isn't so easy (thought the criticism will still exist).

Leopatto mentioned above that people who did / are doing level one and two are idiots because they didn't obtain any GCSE's, well I can inform you that certainly isn't the case. I'm not saying I am Einstein but, I myself did level one and two as I didn't have any GCSE's; this was because there was quite a few people who didn't exactly see eye to eye with me back in school so I stopped going. I was however achieving top grades in the majority of my subjects and was one paper away from having A* at additional science with hardly any teaching (I was ill a lot so only ended up being in for a few months per year). Please take other peoples situations into consideration before labelling them as "idiots".

Finally, entershikari mentioned that her BTEC has a let less work than her A level friends; from what I have heard, this is true of the humanities and creative BTEC's though I am not sure why. However it isn't the case with science based BTEC's especially not the IT and Engineering/electronics courses. I myself am on the level 3 IT course for roughly 16 and a half hours per week, whereas A level students are in for 13 and a half hours if they take 3 A levels (4.5 hours a week per A level) which is what a level 3 is the equivalent of plus with BTEC you have many assignments and projects that need to be completed at home. My college also forces us to take an "A level" alongside it (Welsh Baccalaureate) and I am also sitting GCSE Maths. These added onto my IT timetable have caused it to become quite packed.

I just want potential BTEC students reading this thread to know that they're not idiots for wanting to do a BTEC and that they shouldn't expect it to be short and simple.
No, they're not. They're for different types of learners, as my teacher says. Don't listen to anyone else :/

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Ergh I don't know why this argument exists -_-

A girl in my reception class has got 13 A*'s at GCSE but is currently studying BTEC Travel, is she a idiot?

My opinion= Depends on what you what to do in the Future.

I am into sports and compete in competitions for running&swimmming and other sports, I started a BTEC in Sports and dropped out, I HATED it, why? It was practical in the sense it's about coaching sport, basically training you up to become a coach, you really don't need to be fit at all of to BTEC Sport. I don't want to be a coach I would rather participate in Sport, so I hear for GCSE and A-Level PE it's 60% coursework 40% exam and you have to be a county level standard in sport to do it. This would have been better for me. However if I took the GCSE/A-Level PE route but decided I want to be a personal trainer at a gym and ex BTEC Sport student was also applying for the same job who do you think is more likely going to get the job??? The BTEC Sport student.

So it depends on what you want to do, I would think BTEC Travel would help to get you a nice job in Tourism more than A-Level Travel. Same opinion with BTEC and A-Level Health and Social Care.

YES I will say overall A-Levels are harder. But it really depends on what you want to do in the future.

Original post by leopatto
No, no they're not. Well - perhaps my class is full of idiots but that's a different story. If you're doing Level 2 BTEC or below then yeah it's for idiots (apologies for those that might be offended, but from my perspective it is for idiots who can't get 5 GCSEs.)

If you're planning to go to uni you need to do level 3 extended diploma which is worth 3 A levels. Any top uni now accepts btec (even oxbridge but you need to study an A level next to that btec in order to be considered)

So, is it for idiots - no I don't believe that's the case, yes there'll be few idiots but you can get into uni with btec if you want to.

Original post by cnova
I'll just throw in my perspective.

No it's not for idiots. As mentioned above, there are quite a few idiots in every BTEC course however these are usually weeded out by the second year (according to my lecturers). The current changes to BTEC which were implemented this year has seen to it that it will be a lot more difficult to obtain high grades because the feedback is limited, there is only two submissions and every assignment now has a strict deadline. Once the people who started under these new limitations have finished, people will begin to notice the significant decrease in people obtaining the higher grades and begin to realise that maybe it isn't so easy (thought the criticism will still exist).

Leopatto mentioned above that people who did / are doing level one and two are idiots because they didn't obtain any GCSE's, well I can inform you that certainly isn't the case. I'm not saying I am Einstein but, I myself did level one and two as I didn't have any GCSE's; this was because there was quite a few people who didn't exactly see eye to eye with me back in school so I stopped going. I was however achieving top grades in the majority of my subjects and was one paper away from having A* at additional science with hardly any teaching (I was ill a lot so only ended up being in for a few months per year). Please take other peoples situations into consideration before labelling them as "idiots".

Finally, entershikari mentioned that her BTEC has a let less work than her A level friends; from what I have heard, this is true of the humanities and creative BTEC's though I am not sure why. However it isn't the case with science based BTEC's especially not the IT and Engineering/electronics courses. I myself am on the level 3 IT course for roughly 16 and a half hours per week, whereas A level students are in for 13 and a half hours if they take 3 A levels (4.5 hours a week per A level) which is what a level 3 is the equivalent of plus with BTEC you have many assignments and projects that need to be completed at home. My college also forces us to take an "A level" alongside it (Welsh Baccalaureate) and I am also sitting GCSE Maths. These added onto my IT timetable have caused it to become quite packed.

I just want potential BTEC students reading this thread to know that they're not idiots for wanting to do a BTEC and that they shouldn't expect it to be short and simple.

Original post by entershikari
I am in my second year of a Level 3 BTEC and when I tell people I get judged a fair amount, but the joke's on them because i'm working at the equivalent of A*A*A, and have offers from good universities. I know people who have taken the first year of A-Levels and failed, and are now re-taking or switching to BTEC
To be honest there's a lot of dumb people in my course, but that might be more the fact that it's an art and design course rather than something academic, so they're more creative than academic

All in all, no, the stereotype still exists though so be ready to laugh at people's criticism when they do worse than you

(also, I find my BTEC course incredibly easy, and I do much less work than my a-level taking friends so in my opinion it's a wise choice)

Original post by samcrossley28
Guys, what do u think. are btecs really for idiots
Reply 8
Ridiculous question, OP. Uninformed question.

some a level students are idiots. Some degrees are pretty worthless.

some students are good. Good students do well at btec and use them for uni or work.
Reply 9
BTECs are more hands on and vocational, so saying they're for idiots (which is a subjective term I may add) is preposterous. For the most part, people with BTECs are of working class backgrounds and often find work in the more hands-on trade type careers such as IT technicians or electricians.
Personally, the stigma that BTECs are for idiots stems from elitist uni-goers who think their big fancy master degrees will make them feel better about themselves. No offence to anyone who does master degrees for a planned career goal, I'm just tired of the view on BTEC courses from those kinds of people
Reply 10
Idiots do Btecs but not all people who do btecs are idiots, but it makes them realise they were for picking it.
Reply 11
Original post by erwrwdssw
yeah my friends boyfriend does one and hes a pedo

his name is chris, chris the pedo

Fascinating.
yeah my friends boyfriend does one and hes a pedo

his name is chris, chris the pedo

Whats that got to do with BTEC's?
Original post by Emma:-)
Whats that got to do with BTEC's?

my dude he does a btec my lad and he lovessss underaged girls weird amiright #btec #christhepedo
BTEC L3 requires 5A*-C for a college to accept you to do it.

~40% of people can't obtain that GCSE threshold

People achieving D*D*D* would WITHOUT DOUBT, be better than someone with ABB for example.

BBC-BCC is the average A Level grade

ABB is better than average.

High achieving BTEC students are better than most students

Conclusion: idiots and fairly bright people take BTECs, just like A Levels, but the proportion of idiots are higher
No? You're not really an idiot just because you prefer vocational to academic learning?
my dude he does a btec my lad and he lovessss underaged girls weird amiright #btec #christhepedo

Doesnt mean that all people who do btec's are paedos.
Original post by Emma:-)
Doesnt mean that all people who do btec's are paedos.

i require proof as all the pedos i know do btecs amiright lads
Again?
Reply 19
Original post by zayn008
Idiots do Btecs but not all people who do btecs are idiots, but it makes them realise they were for picking it.

Not always the case, I had to pick BTEC's because I had bowel problems.

Latest

Trending

Trending