The Student Room Group

Driving theory test

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by emwilliams044
Oh that seems like a reasonable time for having lessons tbf because that's the kind of time period I would have taken driving lessons for before I took my test :smile: Thank you, I guess it's just more the fact that I don't want to fail my theory test as more of my friends are passing the first time and I don't want to just fail my theory but I guess it is different for everyone. Thanks for the advice I'm just gonna do a lot of practice I guess. Can you buy the Highway Code online? Yeah that would be great but yeah obviously only if you're feeling up to it, I don't want you to be obliged and that's alright my replies are usually quite long too ahaha.

Just had a quick look and it looks like you can buy the Highway Code off Amazon for not very much :smile: Luckily I got it free from a company that came to my school and gave us a talk on road safety, driving etc. Tell me if I'm speaking out of turn here but don't add that extra pressure on yourself- everyone learns at different speeds, and so what if you fail it the first time? You take it again and pass! I'll try and post something; it'll be helpful to everyone :smile:
Original post by sue99
Just had a quick look and it looks like you can buy the Highway Code off Amazon for not very much :smile: Luckily I got it free from a company that came to my school and gave us a talk on road safety, driving etc. Tell me if I'm speaking out of turn here but don't add that extra pressure on yourself- everyone learns at different speeds, and so what if you fail it the first time? You take it again and pass! I'll try and post something; it'll be helpful to everyone :smile:

Ahh fab thanks I shall take a look at that and buy it :smile: I know I always seem to do that to myself but I just can't help it I guess but yeah you're right everyone does learn at different speeds. Thanks again for all the advice really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 22
Ahh fab thanks I shall take a look at that and buy it :smile: I know I always seem to do that to myself but I just can't help it I guess but yeah you're right everyone does learn at different speeds. Thanks again for all the advice really appreciate it :smile:

I'm pleased to say I passed manual first time with 8 minors!
I honestly thought I was going to fail, as I actually mounted the edge of the kerb when I was taking a left turn at a mini-roundabout. My examiner was a very quiet person and seemed strict initially, but was actually very nice. The only thing he pointed out to my instructor that could have been a serious had it been any other day apart from in half-term week was me changing from the left lane to the middle lane very last-minute at a roundabout. I am so happy! Anyone, please feel free to ask me anything!
Original post by sue99
I'm pleased to say I passed manual first time with 8 minors!
I honestly thought I was going to fail, as I actually mounted the edge of the kerb when I was taking a left turn at a mini-roundabout. My examiner was a very quiet person and seemed strict initially, but was actually very nice. The only thing he pointed out to my instructor that could have been a serious had it been any other day apart from in half-term week was me changing from the left lane to the middle lane very last-minute at a roundabout. I am so happy! Anyone, please feel free to ask me anything!

Awhh I'm so happy for you, congratulations I knew you could do it :smile:
Reply 24
Awhh I'm so happy for you, congratulations I knew you could do it :smile:

Thank you so much! How's the theory preparation going?
Original post by sue99
Thank you so much! How's the theory preparation going?

It's getting there I suppose, been doing lots of practice tests and some of them I pass but others I keep failing so I guess I still need to work on it. As for hazard perception I haven't got much things to practice from so I don't really know how to practice that one tbf. In the actual theory test how many clips are shown in the hazard section?
Reply 26
It's getting there I suppose, been doing lots of practice tests and some of them I pass but others I keep failing so I guess I still need to work on it. As for hazard perception I haven't got much things to practice from so I don't really know how to practice that one tbf. In the actual theory test how many clips are shown in the hazard section?

there are 14 clips, but one clip has a double hazard, which is why the hazard perception is out of 75, but I definitely had no idea about the double hazard clip. I think what I did was see if I could find as much practice on the Internet, and then whenever I was travelling in the car, I would notice these things and decide what action I would take. I do agree though; there really aren't that many resources for hazard perception practice. You just have to think 'what if?'; could this develop into this, what will happen if I don't do this, think ahead kind of thing. How are you finding the whole gear changes, clutch, acceleration sections on your driving lessons (correct me if I have said something wrong)?
(edited 7 years ago)
hello guys,
I am starting to learn how to drive and I was just wondering what is the best way people found to learn for the theory test? I have just been doing loads of practice tests online and stuff but I'm not quite sure what kinda time period you should be practising for before you take the test. Also wondering if anyone has any good tips/ resources for learning the theory

Thanks in advance :smile:

I passed my theory test last week, a day after my 17th birthday. I found the best way for me to revise was by using the official DVSA book which I purchased from WHSmith and using the DVSA official mobile app. I revised it all in 3 days. I scored 50/50! They are both extremely useful. For hazard perception I used (https://www.theory-test-online.co.uk/free-hazard-perception-test-demo.htm). I barely revised hazard perception as I knew all I had to do was click when I see a hazard. I scraped past with a 46/75! I'd advise you to revise!!

The official DVSA theory test on the app store has 10 hazard perception clips and all questions that could be asked. It has everything from the book too, which could help with your revision. Only downside is that it's £4.99!
Original post by MasterStudent00
The official DVSA theory test on the app store has 10 hazard perception clips and all questions that could be asked. It has everything from the book too, which could help with your revision. Only downside is that it's £4.99!

Ahh okay I might get the book then and thanks for the link for the hazard perception practice it looks like a good website :smile:
Original post by sue99
there are 14 clips, but one clip has a double hazard, which is why the hazard perception is out of 75, but I definitely had no idea about the double hazard clip. I think what I did was see if I could find as much practice on the Internet, and then whenever I was travelling in the car, I would notice these things and decide what action I would take. I do agree though; there really aren't that many resources for hazard perception practice. You just have to think 'what if?'; could this develop into this, what will happen if I don't do this, think ahead kind of thing. How are you finding the whole gear changes, clutch, acceleration sections on your driving lessons (correct me if I have said something wrong)?

oh so in each of the clips do you only click once but with the double hazard clip do you click twice due to there being more than one hazard? It might sound stupid but I'm kinda confused with the whole double hazard thing. Yeah I've been trying to find as much practice online as possible but it is very limited. I've only really started driving lessons (only had 2 lessons so far) so that I can hopefully do the test in August but I'm planning to do the theory test first and just get it out of the way so I don't have to worry about that.
hello guys,
I am starting to learn how to drive and I was just wondering what is the best way people found to learn for the theory test? I have just been doing loads of practice tests online and stuff but I'm not quite sure what kinda time period you should be practising for before you take the test. Also wondering if anyone has any good tips/ resources for learning the theory

I used the DSA mobile app and revised almost everyday. Although it isn't free - it was worth the money as I passed my theory first time on Wednesday! :woo:
The questions on the app are actually on the test so I highly recommend. :smile:
Reply 32
oh so in each of the clips do you only click once but with the double hazard clip do you click twice due to there being more than one hazard? It might sound stupid but I'm kinda confused with the whole double hazard thing. Yeah I've been trying to find as much practice online as possible but it is very limited. I've only really started driving lessons (only had 2 lessons so far) so that I can hopefully do the test in August but I'm planning to do the theory test first and just get it out of the way so I don't have to worry about that.

Oh don't worry, it's not stupid at all. But yes, in the double hazard clip there will be two developing hazards, so anything that would make you take some sort of action, like slowing down etc. I think all you can do is just notice hazards on the road whenever you're out, and think how soon you would click.
Just use TopTests for a couple of days before, it's better than paying out money for resources
hello guys,

when taking the theory for hazard perception I would count to 5 and try and click around every 5 seconds (unless I saw something) but did it so the machine wouldn't pick up it was a pattern! and I passed with it!

for the questions I used the DVLA app and it was good because one of the practice modes meant that you had to get every question right twice before it would say it was right - remember theres over 800 questions so if you just do practice ones you make miss out on actual questions!

the app also broke the questions down into sections e.g. road signs which meant you could focus son the weaker areas!

Good Luck! xx
Original post by _Holly98
when taking the theory for hazard perception I would count to 5 and try and click around every 5 seconds (unless I saw something) but did it so the machine wouldn't pick up it was a pattern! and I passed with it!

for the questions I used the DVLA app and it was good because one of the practice modes meant that you had to get every question right twice before it would say it was right - remember theres over 800 questions so if you just do practice ones you make miss out on actual questions!

the app also broke the questions down into sections e.g. road signs which meant you could focus son the weaker areas!

Good Luck! xx

Thanks for the tip on hazard perception, I'm struggling with that to be honest :smile: What do you mean that by doing practice questions you may miss out on actual questions? Thank you again :smile:
Original post by HopelessMedic
Just use TopTests for a couple of days before, it's better than paying out money for resources

Is this a free app for questions?
Original post by Boreism
I used the DSA mobile app and revised almost everyday. Although it isn't free - it was worth the money as I passed my theory first time on Wednesday! :woo:
The questions on the app are actually on the test so I highly recommend. :smile:

I was debating whether it was worth the money tbf but seeing as the questions actually come up on the test I might just get it so thanks :smile:
Original post by sue99
Oh don't worry, it's not stupid at all. But yes, in the double hazard clip there will be two developing hazards, so anything that would make you take some sort of action, like slowing down etc. I think all you can do is just notice hazards on the road whenever you're out, and think how soon you would click.

Ahh okay thanks for clearing that up :smile: yeah I guess that's what I'm gonna have to do. What's the pass mark for the hazard perception part of the test?
Reply 39
Ahh okay thanks for clearing that up :smile: yeah I guess that's what I'm gonna have to do. What's the pass mark for the hazard perception part of the test?

43 / 75

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending