The Student Room Group

a level regret

I am a student in year 13. I am currently taking chemistry, biology and maths. I took french last year as an as level but I dropped it. Now I am really regretting that decision and the fact I will leave school with only 3 A levels. Any advice?
3 is plenty and is what the vast majority have, offers are 3 A levels so you dont need more
In regards to your dropped A-leveI don't think there's anything you can do since they don't allow us to pick them back up...
All Universities want 3 subjects relevant to the course that you want to take. A fourth really doesn't matter.

Here is a song to cheer you up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoImizvsj5w
(No Regrets)
Reply 4
Original post by Lisa1999
I am a student in year 13. I am currently taking chemistry, biology and maths. I took french last year as an as level but I dropped it. Now I am really regretting that decision and the fact I will leave school with only 3 A levels. Any advice?

Are you looking to go to university, because most universities only look for three A-levels anyway. Since you dropped French- it doesn't mean you have to stop learning the language. You can still carry on speaking it. There are also online languages courses available which you can complete as a qualification for french to put on your CV.
Reply 5
Originally, I did not want to apply to Oxford but have become interested in studying there after a year out. A lot of applicants there have 4 A levels so I feel as if I have failed already.
Reply 6
Originally, I did not want to apply to Oxford but have become interested in studying there after a year out. A lot of applicants there have 4 A levels so I feel as if I have failed already.

What do you want to study at Oxford?
Reply 7
Original post by emx_eco
What do you want to study at Oxford?

Medicine - I know that I have messed up.
Reply 8

Thats like me. I'm in Year 12 at the moment studying the same subjects. I don't think you've messed up at all. For medicine universities just want three A-levels, doing four is completely unnecessary. In fact, doing three I think is much better because you can focus on getting high grades in just those subjects instead of spreading your time across four
Reply 9
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/medicine?wssl=1

look at the page link for Oxford. They said minimum three A-levels at A*AA. I think you're more likely to get A*AA in three subjects than A*AA(A/A*) in four because you will have less things to revise for and learn
Reply 10
Original post by emx_eco
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/medicine?wssl=1

look at the page link for Oxford. They said minimum three A-levels at A*AA. I think you're more likely to get A*AA in three subjects than A*AA(A/A*) in four because you will have less things to revise for and learn

Also, I feel that my GCSEs are not high enough. I got 10 A*s and 2 As. In Year 11, I was proud of them but not anymore. Oxford rank you by the percentage of A*s achieved. My average is quite a bit lower than what the average is.
Also, I feel that my GCSEs are not high enough. I got 10 A*s and 2 As. In Year 11, I was proud of them but not anymore. Oxford rank you by the percentage of A*s achieved. My average is quite a bit lower than what the average is.

WOW! That's better than mine :smile: (I got 9 A*s, 2 A's and a B) Those results are amazing. Plus you did an extra GCSE. Honestly, I think your GCSE results are perfect and you should be proud of them.
You need to remember its not just your academic side they will look at, but your work experience and your BMAT score. Do you think you did okay in these aspects?
Reply 12
Original post by emx_eco
WOW! That's better than mine :smile: (I got 9 A*s, 2 A's and a B) Those results are amazing. Plus you did an extra GCSE. Honestly, I think your GCSE results are perfect and you should be proud of them.
You need to remember its not just your academic side they will look at, but your work experience and your BMAT score. Do you think you did okay in these aspects?

My work experience is not too bad. I have had placements at a hospital, a GP surgery and have been voluteering at a care home for more than a year now.
I have not done the BMAT yet as I want to take a year out.
My work experience is not too bad. I have had placements at a hospital, a GP surgery and have been voluteering at a care home for more than a year now.

I can't remember the exact proportion, but A* number can easily be remedied by a slightly higher BMATs score, perhaps 6.3 in both sections and 4.5? That would make you competitive
what is it that u want to do?
and what uni u deciding to go t ?
Reply 15
Thanks for all help everyone. You have all been really kind and helpful.

You seem to be on top of your game. I don't see why you don't have a good chance of getting in. My final advice to you is:
-Get BMAT practice books to really make sure you ace the exam
- Maybe in your year out, get experience somewhere working with children and disabled people because it will show you have experience to work with a large variety of patients
-consider doing an online course in French to add a little extra to your CV/personal statement
-If you don't already, get a job in your year out to save a little extra for university
I don't really have any other advice. I wish you the best of luck. If you still want to ask any questions though feel free to ask :smile:

Most Oxford medics have 3 A-levels.

get a grip with your pessimism

Quick Reply

Latest