The Student Room Group

Year 9 GCSE options advice

So I am choosing my options over the next few weeks and I am not entirely sure what I want t do as I only have one choice left (after choosing a language and humanities). I don't really know what I want to be when I am older but I'm thinking of maybe taking GCSE art or textiles. Do you have any advice or helpful information that could help?
If you don't have an idea of what you want to do in the future, i suggest you choose options that can open many doors for you so there are options available for you when you make your mind up. It is good that you are doing both a language and humanities, universities tend to really like these. For your third option you could maybe do drama which would compliment your options, or if you really do have your eye between art and textiles, i don't do neither but art is a a lot of coursework but hands on essential skills of research and writing whereas textiles gives you a balance from all the other subjects you are doing so i suggest textiles.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you for the advise, I am feeling more confident on taking textiles over art. I have also considered doing buisiness but i think i would get bored too easily and loose focus.
Original post by karina13
Thank you for the advise, I am feeling more confident on taking textiles over art. I have also considered doing buisiness but i think i would get bored too easily and loose focus.

I do Business, and it's ok. There is a lot of writing so if that's not your thing I don't recommend doing Business, however there are some really good life skills you can learn.
Hey! With GCSEs, it is important to strike a balance by choosing subjects you like as well as ones that are going to keep your options for the future open.

I'll begin with a slight caution note on Art (or DT): it is very challenging and is certainly not a lightweight, fun, on-the-side, flimsy outlet - it is anything but. There is A LOT of work and it will consume hours of your time and all of your energy. I'm not saying don't go for it, and indeed I know loads of people who LOVE it, but if you are considering be prepared (speaking from personal experience). Wrote a post about Art GCSE pros and cons here, if it helps at all: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4241576 . The same pretty much applies to DT too. I'm not sure about the workload in Textile but I suspect it is probably quite weighty like Art and DT, but I'm not certain about the extent of this weight in comparison with these subjects.

English Language, English Literature and Maths are all compulsory, and at some schools RS is too - is it at yours?

Some schools either way 3 separate sciences compulsory and some make every one take combined science. Try to take as many sciences as possible, if you find them okay because they all tend to compliment each other throughout the GCSE courses in one way or another. They also are respected and offer many options for the future, but obviously don't take all three if you loathe them.

Apart from that, History, Geography and Modern/Ancient Languages all keep loads of doors open and are very respected. It is best to take as many as you can out of these ones.

You might also want to consider something like Computer Science if your school offers it as it is useful for the future, although you can take it up at A Level with having done GCSE.

Regarding Business Studies, if it's not your thing then you probably won't like it as GCSE. However, not taking it doesn't actually limit your options because, like Computer Science, GCSE is not needed for A Level, so if you change your mind in two year's time, you can still take up the subject again in year 12 (A Levels are harder but go into further depth and are far more interesting than GCSE).

My best advice would simply be to ask. Ask the people in year 10 and 11; ask the teachers (warning: they might be biased) etc.

Good luck in making your choices!!! Hope it all goes to plan and I'm sure you'll ace them! :smile:
Choose GCSE Art if you intend on comitting suicide, there are loads of people in my year behind on coursework and we've started the exam so yeah. But your allowed to be bad if you explain that it was part of you experimenting or some crap like that
Hi yes I totally understand as I have just chosen mine and I'm waiting to see what I have got. I suggest you choose art first and put textiles as a reserve because I personally feel art will get you further in life. Good luck!
Original post by karina13

I did gcse business studies and i really liked it. I would recommend it.
I also did sociology- that might be worth looking into.
Reply 8
Only do art if you reaaallyy enjoy it or are good at it. It's really time consuming especially if you fall behind on the coursework. I do it and I'm just about managing it as well as revision for my other subjects.
Remember to take a variety of subjects - science, language, social science, humanities etc
However, make sure you both keep your doors open and pick subjects you like. For example, taking triple science would be a good idea if you like science and you're likely going to choose a science a level as it will be easier for u.
I regretted picking 2 subjects that I dread studying for right now... (ict, accountacy) and would much rather have picked history :/
Reply 10
I took textiles and I really like it. The practical and written work is fun. Choose whatever feels best!
Reply 11
Original post by no2573571
Hey! With GCSEs, it is important to strike a balance by choosing subjects you like as well as ones that are going to keep your options for the future open.

I'll begin with a slight caution note on Art (or DT): it is very challenging and is certainly not a lightweight, fun, on-the-side, flimsy outlet - it is anything but. There is A LOT of work and it will consume hours of your time and all of your energy. I'm not saying don't go for it, and indeed I know loads of people who LOVE it, but if you are considering be prepared (speaking from personal experience). Wrote a post about Art GCSE pros and cons here, if it helps at all: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4241576 . The same pretty much applies to DT too. I'm not sure about the workload in Textile but I suspect it is probably quite weighty like Art and DT, but I'm not certain about the extent of this weight in comparison with these subjects.

English Language, English Literature and Maths are all compulsory, and at some schools RS is too - is it at yours?

Some schools either way 3 separate sciences compulsory and some make every one take combined science. Try to take as many sciences as possible, if you find them okay because they all tend to compliment each other throughout the GCSE courses in one way or another. They also are respected and offer many options for the future, but obviously don't take all three if you loathe them.

Apart from that, History, Geography and Modern/Ancient Languages all keep loads of doors open and are very respected. It is best to take as many as you can out of these ones.

You might also want to consider something like Computer Science if your school offers it as it is useful for the future, although you can take it up at A Level with having done GCSE.

Regarding Business Studies, if it's not your thing then you probably won't like it as GCSE. However, not taking it doesn't actually limit your options because, like Computer Science, GCSE is not needed for A Level, so if you change your mind in two year's time, you can still take up the subject again in year 12 (A Levels are harder but go into further depth and are far more interesting than GCSE).

My best advice would simply be to ask. Ask the people in year 10 and 11; ask the teachers (warning: they might be biased) etc.

Good luck in making your choices!!! Hope it all goes to plan and I'm sure you'll ace them! :smile:

Thank you for your advice, at my school we have to do RS but we don't have to do an exam on it unless we choose it as an option. What you said was very helpful and thanks again.:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Karthika10
Hi yes I totally understand as I have just chosen mine and I'm waiting to see what I have got. I suggest you choose art first and put textiles as a reserve because I personally feel art will get you further in life. Good luck!

Good luck to you too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest