The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry 18th May/June 2017 Thread

Hi guys,
this is a thread for people who are doing the Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry exam in May/June 2017.

Here's the Specification:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20GCSE/Chemistry/2011/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/9780997864786_INT_GCSE_CHEM_SPECSAMS_ISS5_comb.PDF

Past Papers and Mark Schemes:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-gcses-and-edexcel-certificates/international-gcse-chemistry-2011.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=Pearson-UK:Category%2FExam-materials

Revision Guide:
https://nzkhanew.wikispaces.com/file/view/Edexcel%2Bigcse%2Bchemistry%2BRevision%2Bguide.pdf

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/resources/igcse_edexcel_chemistry_revision

Also, post your answers to the following questions:
1.Favourite Topic
2.Least Favourite Topic
3.Most Confident Topic
4.Least Confident Topic
5.Have You Started Revising Yet?

Good Luck everyone, anymore resources would also be useful!!! :smile::smile::smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Greenapplepear

1.Favourite Topic
2.Least Favourite Topic
3.Most Confident Topic
4.Least Confident Topic
5.Why are you taking HB?
6.Have You Started Revising Yet?

1. Chemistry
2. Biology
3. Spectroscopy
4. Entropy
5. The rubric says that is the type of pencil I must use
6. No
hi
Original post by Pigster
1. Chemistry
2. Biology
3. Spectroscopy
4. Entropy
5. The rubric says that is the type of pencil I must use
6. No

Hi Pigster, have you done your mocks yet? :smile:
Original post by Donkeyman212
hi

Hi:smile:
Hi everyone :smile:,

1. Acid and Bases
2. Enthalpy change
3. Organic chemistry
4. Carbon cycle
5. Nope not yet but starting later on in March :biggrin:
Hi guys,

1.Favourite Topic
2.Least Favourite Topic
3.Most Confident Topic
4.Least Confident Topic

Good Luck everyone, anymore resources would also be useful!!! :smile::smile::smile:

1. Electrolysis
2. Salts
3. Moles calculations
4. Halogen/halide displacement reactions
5. Nope
:tongue:
Original post by EnigmaticAvo
1. Electrolysis
2. Salts
3. Moles calculations
4. Halogen/halide displacement reactions
5. Nope
:tongue:

Hi EnigmaticAvo, how are your mocks going? :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 8
1. Rates of reaction or structures and properties!
2. Reversible reactions (I can't get my head around the questions but I'm working on it) and Electrolysis (because we haven't finished it and it's a bit confusing)
3. Probably particles or metals
4. Chemical quantities
5. Yes whoops, I didn't really stop revision since my mocks but I did do less because of my French coursework but now it's back to speed. So I've basically been revising since like October :/ not sure if it's effective though, although I did get 6 A*s and 4 As in my mocks haha.
Original post by geeorgie
1. Rates of reaction or structures and properties!
2. Reversible reactions (I can't get my head around the questions but I'm working on it) and Electrolysis (because we haven't finished it and it's a bit confusing)
3. Probably particles or metals
4. Chemical quantities
5. Yes whoops, I didn't really stop revision since my mocks but I did do less because of my French coursework but now it's back to speed. So I've basically been revising since like October :/ not sure if it's effective though, although I did get 6 A*s and 4 As in my mocks haha.

Hi geeorgie,
well done for your mock results!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2:
Keep revising, the hard work will pay off!!!
Btw what are your choices for GCSEs?:smile:
Hi geeorgie,
well done for your mock results!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2:
Keep revising, the hard work will pay off!!!
Btw what are your choices for GCSEs?:smile:

I do french, latin, history and dt (product design) as well as triple science, english and maths! thank you X
Favorite: Definitely organic chem. relatively straightforward
Least Favorite: I would say chromatography. Its a pain
Most Confident topic: Cracking
Least Confident topic: intermolecular and intramolecular. the difference stuns me lol
Revision: Started in december, took a break all of feb cuz i did well in the mocks (7A*s, 3As), now gotta get back to the books :smile:
Original post by asteroidsock
Favorite: Definitely organic chem. relatively straightforward
Least Favorite: I would say chromatography. Its a pain
Most Confident topic: Cracking
Least Confident topic: intermolecular and intramolecular. the difference stuns me lol
Revision: Started in december, took a break all of feb cuz i did well in the mocks (7A*s, 3As), now gotta get back to the books :smile:

Hi asteriodsock!
My favourite topic is also organic chemistry :smile: brilliant job on your mocks btw :clap2::clap2::clap2:and how are you currently revising? (need some tips:biggrin::biggrin:)
Hi guys,
this is a thread for people who are doing the Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry exam in May/June 2017.

Here's the Specification:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20GCSE/Chemistry/2011/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/9780997864786_INT_GCSE_CHEM_SPECSAMS_ISS5_comb.PDF

Past Papers and Mark Schemes:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-gcses-and-edexcel-certificates/international-gcse-chemistry-2011.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=Pearson-UK:Category%2FExam-materials

Revision Guide:
https://nzkhanew.wikispaces.com/file/view/Edexcel%2Bigcse%2Bchemistry%2BRevision%2Bguide.pdf

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/resources/igcse_edexcel_chemistry_revision

1.Favourite Topic
2.Least Favourite Topic
3.Most Confident Topic
4.Least Confident Topic

1. extraction of metals
2. energetics
3. electrolysis
4. identifying ions and gases
5. at the beggining of march
Hi asteriodsock!
My favourite topic is also organic chemistry :smile: brilliant job on your mocks btw :clap2::clap2::clap2:and how are you currently revising? (need some tips:biggrin::biggrin:)

Lol i'm one of those people who just have to read the textbook to study... flashcards and stuff have never helped. I do all the end of chapter questions and check the answers online- and past papers are my salvation! also examiners reports for the questions i find hard- rlly helps. Weird thing is i always have to have white noise or film scores in the background to study so i wont get distracted. let me know if any of this helps!
Original post by asteroidsock
Lol i'm one of those people who just have to read the textbook to study... flashcards and stuff have never helped. I do all the end of chapter questions and check the answers online- and past papers are my salvation! also examiners reports for the questions i find hard- rlly helps. Weird thing is i always have to have white noise or film scores in the background to study so i wont get distracted. let me know if any of this helps!

Thank you so much for advice :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
fav topic: organic chem
least fav: almost all calculations
most confident: sec 3 and 5
least fav: calculations

Yes I've started revising and cant wait to never have to do chemistry again. :wink:

doing bio, classics, geography and english lit for a level

good luck everyone! :smile:
Reply 17

1.Favourite Topic
2.Least Favourite Topic
3.Most Confident Topic
4.Least Confident Topic

Hey! Good luck to everyone taking the exam :smile: we got this!
1.Favourite Topic
Probably dynamic equilibriums and organic chemistry although I used to hate it, everything is better when you finally understand them
2.Least Favourite Topic
Anything that has to do with colours and crystallisation
3.Most Confident Topic
Periodic table properties and predictions based on that and electrolysis
4.Least Confident Topic
Crystallisation methods and metals
Revised everything once, now solving every past paper available since the dawn of civilisation to be honest
Hi everyone, I'm doing IGCSE chemistry, so scared. I've not had 2 years of notes like many people(still in year 9) and haven't learnt.

1. Displacement reactions.
2.Cation, Anion, Gas and Water tests.
3.Alkanes/Alkenes.
4. Addition Polymers
5. Water of crystallisation
6.Haber Process
7. Cracking.
8. Extraction of Metals.

I've been really ill for the past couple of months and only started revision last week. :s-smilie:

Can someone explain them to me? Freaking out.
Original post by jabbathemuttdog
Hi everyone, I'm doing IGCSE chemistry, so scared. I've not had 2 years of notes like many people(still in year 9) and haven't learnt.

1. Displacement reactions.
2.Cation, Anion, Gas and Water tests.
3.Alkanes/Alkenes.
4. Addition Polymers
5. Water of crystallisation
6.Haber Process
7. Cracking.
8. Extraction of Metals.

I've been really ill for the past couple of months and only started revision last week. :s-smilie:

Can someone explain them to me? Freaking out.

Check out the CGP revision guide for chemistry.
It's really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending