The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Ask a current student on the streatham campus!

Scroll to see replies

Hello! :smile:

I want to apply for FCH at Streatham/St Luke's and I was wondering if you have any tips on personal statements? Also, I heard Exeter is very hilly. How physically demanding would you say walking from the campus to the halls/dormitories/city and back is? Additionally, how are the people there, how are the teachers like, do you happen to know anything about studying International Relations/Strategy and International Security/Japanese there, what places would you recommend visiting for fun, how many hours would you recommend one to study per credit/module, and how easy or hard is it to integrate your classes, study time, extracurriculars, hobbies, job, and social life in your schedule? I apologise for the many questions and if this thread is unsuitable for them. :frown:

On a last note: thank you a lot for making this thread! :biggrin: You have been very helpful and informative so far and have motivated me to get into Exeter even more :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 21
Original post by Alex_L313
Hi, I was wondering what to do about sticking up posters and pictures etc on the walls? Dont want to lose the deposit because of some blue tac marks. What did you do about it?

I only stuck stuff on notice boards - you get a giant one across the side of your bed in Lafrowda/birks/duryard and in front of the desk I believe.

Original post by Michiyo
Hello! :smile:

I want to apply for FCH at Streatham/St Luke's and I was wondering if you have any tips on personal statements? Also, I heard Exeter is very hilly. How physically demanding would you say walking from the campus to the halls/dormitories/city and back is? Additionally, how are the people there, how are the teachers like, do you happen to know anything about studying International Relations/Strategy and International Security/Japanese there, what places would you recommend visiting for fun, how many hours would you recommend one to study per credit/module, and how easy or hard is it to integrate your classes, study time, extracurriculars, hobbies, job, and social life in your schedule? I apologise for the many questions and if this thread is unsuitable for them. :frown:

On a last note: thank you a lot for making this thread! :biggrin: You have been very helpful and informative so far and have motivated me to get into Exeter even more :smile:

I don't know a lot about FCH just that your personal statement should be balanced :smile:
It is hilly but honestly you do get used to it very quickly! To city it's flat mostly but the campus is hilly.
People are generally lovely! I don't know a lot about any of those I'm sorry :frown:
Fun? We have Paignton zoo nearby, firehouse is a good pub so is the impy. Um Exmouth beach in summer!
Studying really depends on how much work you want to do outside assignments and on how much you need to hand in but I reckon an hour or so a day is fine mostly.
I find it really easy as most things are in the evening or Wednesday afternoons which you have off and it's good to do a nice balance of things.
No worries! I love Exeter and want others to as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vlb206
Hi,
I'm a current Exeter University student on streatham campus. I'm going into my fourth year - studying biochemistry and I just got back from a year abroad.
Please feel free to ask me any questions!

Currently I have an offer from Exeter and it's A* AB for bsc geography, I am predicted an AAB and feel that this is a reasonable prediction for my A2. How leaneant are Exeter on you getting one grade below your offer in letting you in?
Reply 23
Original post by Elmstone
Currently I have an offer from Exeter and it's A* AB for bsc geography, I am predicted an AAB and feel that this is a reasonable prediction for my A2. How leaneant are Exeter on you getting one grade below your offer in letting you in?

I'm currently in my first year of BSC geography at Exeter :smile:
They offered me AAA, so basically the same as your A*AB, but I got AAB and they accepted me with no questions asked. I think you should be okay if you drop one grade, I know my friend got into the same couse with ABB - but he was offered AAB for some reason.

Good luck!
Original post by Ambera
I'm currently in my first year of BSC geography at Exeter :smile:
They offered me AAA, so basically the same as your A*AB, but I got AAB and they accepted me with no questions asked. I think you should be okay if you drop one grade, I know my friend got into the same couse with ABB - but he was offered AAB for some reason.

Good luck!

Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and really want to go to Exeter to study Geography.
What's the course likein terms of teaching and work load from your perspective?
Reply 25
Original post by Jazzy_j_
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and really want to go to Exeter to study Geography.
What's the course likein terms of teaching and work load from your perspective?

In terms of teaching, so far Year 1 has been mostly taught in lectures with around 11-12 hours per week. We also have some tutorials in smaller groups of around 10 people for study skills.
The lectures are very good, all 50 minutes long, with a wide variety of lecturers - most of which are prominant researchers in their field and you'll find yourself citing your lecturers work quite a bit!
In first year you will take modules from both physical and human geography, unless you take modules from another subject. I've found that human geography is quite theoretical and definetly different to what you learn in A level.

In terms of work, so far we haven't been set many assessed pieces of coursework, but we've had around 1 big essay or report to write each term with a few smaller pieces. In Year 1 most of the content modules are 100% exam - with the human modules being essay exams, and the physical geography modules being multiple choice. However, the study skills module is 100% coursework.
You will get set a lot of reading, I find myself getting behind in reading a lot.... there's so much........
We've done one residential fieldtrip so far, to Slapton Sands. Next year they run longer fieldtrips to Iceland, Brazil, Naples and California.

Our modules this year are:

HUMAN: Geographies of Global Change
HUMAN: Place, Identity & Culture
PHYSICAL: The History of the Planet
PHYSICAL: The Future of the Planet
BOTH: Concepts in Geography
BOTH: Geographies of Environment & Sustainability
Study Skills
Research Methods
Original post by Ambera
In terms of teaching, so far Year 1 has been mostly taught in lectures with around 11-12 hours per week. We also have some tutorials in smaller groups of around 10 people for study skills.
The lectures are very good, all 50 minutes long, with a wide variety of lecturers - most of which are prominant researchers in their field and you'll find yourself citing your lecturers work quite a bit!
In first year you will take modules from both physical and human geography, unless you take modules from another subject. I've found that human geography is quite theoretical and definetly different to what you learn in A level.

In terms of work, so far we haven't been set many assessed pieces of coursework, but we've had around 1 big essay or report to write each term with a few smaller pieces. In Year 1 most of the content modules are 100% exam - with the human modules being essay exams, and the physical geography modules being multiple choice. However, the study skills module is 100% coursework.
You will get set a lot of reading, I find myself getting behind in reading a lot.... there's so much........
We've done one residential fieldtrip so far, to Slapton Sands. Next year they run longer fieldtrips to Iceland, Brazil, Naples and California.

Our modules this year are:

HUMAN: Geographies of Global Change
HUMAN: Place, Identity & Culture
PHYSICAL: The History of the Planet
PHYSICAL: The Future of the Planet
BOTH: Concepts in Geography
BOTH: Geographies of Environment & Sustainability
Study Skills
Research Methods

Thank you!
Would you recommend Exeter then? From a social aspect aswell as the academic side? I know I still have 18 months till I start uni but I'm quite anxious about the whole thing
Hi! I know this is a bit of a late reply, but hopefully my reply will make this thread pop up and help newer students too :smile: For me, a uni campus is of the most important aspects of the uni because if i dont like the area, then i wont enjoy my time there...I visited Exeter on an open day and although i did get to check out a lot of the campus, there were a few places I didn't get to do this like the sports park. But, i googled and on youtube, this youtuber called Francesca Michaud did an "Exeter university streatham campus tour" and she goes through literally everything on campus including the bars etc and that really helped me, so maybe this can help other people too! :biggrin:
Original post by vlb206
Hi,
I'm a current Exeter University student on streatham campus. I'm going into my fourth year - studying biochemistry and I just got back from a year abroad.
Please feel free to ask me any questions!

Hi I visited Exeter a week ago & have just put as my firm for biochemistry with a year in industry, so hope I get the grades. What did you think of the course and if you’ve done a year in industry or research, how would you rate it and where did you do your year? What’s the best self catered accommodation on campus for biochemistry- don’t want to have walk too far for lectures, library or lab.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending