The Student Room Group

Marginally missing an offer?

Hi everyone:tongue:
I know A Level exams are far far away but my offer requires two A*s in biology and chemistry. I just want to ask in advance, if I miss 1 or 2% UMS, will I still get a place?

Thanks everyone
Reply 1
I think it depends on the university, but most of the time, universities will still accept you with one grade lower, e.g. e.g. 1 A and 1 A*
Reply 2
Original post by _riff_
I think it depends on the university, but most of the time, universities will still accept you with one grade lower, e.g. e.g. 1 A and 1 A*

Thanks so much:biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Cheryl____C
Thanks so much:biggrin:

no problem (: and good luck, hopefully, you do get those 2 A*!
Reply 4
Original post by _riff_
no problem (: and good luck, hopefully, you do get those 2 A*!

:u:
I know A Level exams are far far away but my offer requires two A*s in biology and chemistry. I just want to ask in advance, if I miss 1 or 2% UMS, will I still get a place?

Thanks everyone

It's not that simple.
It depends on how many of other offer holders miss their offer and how much by. (And possibly other parts of application if there're other offer holders who missed their offer by a similar margin as yours)

They always give out slightly more offers than they have places for as there bound to be some who miss their offer at the final exams.
So after the result day, they compare those who missed the offers (not just A2 candidates but IB candidates who've already got the results earlier, too) and pick up the ones they think who deserve the place. If they think you're still good enough for Cambridge but do not have a place for you at their college as their places went to others, they may put you in Summer Pool for other colleges to consider you. (But Summer Pool is much smaller than Winter Pool)

Also, the way exam boards mark the papers and how they grade them changes every year, which can affect the results, and that would affect how many candidates (for any uni) achieve/miss their offers.

So in short, the situation changes every year.

Good luck for A2 exams. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by vincrows
It's not that simple.
It depends on how many of other offer holders miss their offer and how much by. (And possibly other parts of application if there're other offer holders who missed their offer by a similar margin as yours)

They always give out slightly more offers than they have places for as there bound to be some who miss their offer at the final exams.
So after the result day, they compare those who missed the offers (not just A2 candidates but IB candidates who've already got the results earlier, too) and pick up the ones they think who deserve the place. If they think you're still good enough for Cambridge but do not have a place for you at their college as their places went to others, they may put you in Summer Pool for other colleges to consider you. (But Summer Pool is much smaller than Winter Pool)

Also, the way exam boards mark the papers and how they grade them changes every year, which can affect the results, and that would affect how many candidates (for any uni) achieve/miss their offers.

So in short, the situation changes every year.

Good luck for A2 exams. :smile:

Thanks for the answer! But what if people ask for a re-mark for their papers and how will Cambridge respond to that?
Thanks for the answer! But what if people ask for a re-mark for their papers and how will Cambridge respond to that?

There's a deadline for when you have to send the result of remark by. If the remark is successful and meets the offer condition, your offer is confirmed.
Reply 8
Original post by vincrows
There's a deadline for when you have to send the result of remark by. If the remark is successful and meets the offer condition, your offer is confirmed.

Thanks very much for your info:wink:
If Firming Cambridge is risky - make very certain that your Insurance is more realistic and that you do actually want to go there.

Often where you are borderline/near-miss for an offer a Uni will wait several days after Results Day to make a decision - this means that most Adjustment or Clearing possibilities will have gone by the time you might get a rejection. This means that your Insurance is crucial and could well be the Uni you end up at - so think very carefully about that choice.

General advice about making Firm/Insurance choices : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16167-firm-and-insurance-choices
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
If Firming Cambridge is risky - make very certain that your Insurance is more realistic and that you do actually want to go there.

Often where you are borderline/near-miss for an offer a Uni will wait several days after Results Day to make a decision - this means that most Adjustment or Clearing possibilities will have gone by the time you might get a rejection. This means that your Insurance is crucial and could well be the Uni you end up at - so think very carefully about that choice.

General advice about making Firm/Insurance choices : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16167-firm-and-insurance-choices

Thanks!I like my insurance choice very much:wink:
Reply 11
Thanks!I like my insurance choice very much:wink:

Is it Durham?

Also, regarding your original comment about missing by 1 or 2% UMS, do your A-levels still have UMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Is it Durham?

Also, regarding your original comment about missing by 1 or 2% UMS, do your A-levels still have UMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's imperial actually! And sadly yes, we do still have UMS cos I'm taking the international CIE exam from outside of the U.K.
Do you have anything to add regarding the issue? Any input will be hugely appreciated!:wink:
Reply 13
It's imperial actually! And sadly yes, we do still have UMS cos I'm taking the international CIE exam from outside of the U.K.
Do you have anything to add regarding the issue? Any input will be hugely appreciated!:wink:

No not really. Vincrows has it covered as always :smile:

Very near misses can be successful, but not always... Best thing is to meet the offer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
No not really. Vincrows has it covered as always :smile:

Very near misses can be successful, but not always... Best thing is to meet the offer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks very much:biggrin:

Thanks everyone

Work as hard as you can to meet the offer. You're place is guaranteed if (and only if) you meet the exact conditions set. If you miss then one of 3 things will happen when you wake up on results day (before you know your results - we see them early and make as many decisions as we can exactly so those that need to sort insurance/adjustment/clearing can do so):

Your offer will be relaxed and your place confirmed

You're released to your insurance choice/clearing as applicable

Your application will be pending waiting for more information like UMS

Following the provision of UMS on results day, your college may decide to:

Relax your offer and confirm your place

Release you to your insurance/clearing if they don't think you are interest at their college or elsewhere

Place you in the Summer Pool for other Colleges to consider you

The Summer Pool takes places the day after results day and colleges can offer you a place from there. In most subjects it is a small affair, much smaller than the Winter Pool.

We always aim to make decisions as quickly as possible - by the end of results day if possible, unless you're in the Summer Pool in which case you'll hear by the end of the Monday.

Note that if you are waiting on a remark you may still be released to your insurance/clearing - this is in your interests so you can sort places/accommodation etc. If your grade increases and we find our before the 31st August your place at Cambridge is confirmed and we can take you back from whichever other university you've accepted a place at.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Work as hard as you can to meet the offer. You're place is guaranteed if (and only if) you meet the exact conditions set. If you miss then one of 3 things will happen when you wake up on results day (before you know your results - we see them early and make as many decisions as we can exactly so those that need to sort insurance/adjustment/clearing can do so):

Your offer will be relaxed and your place confirmed

You're released to your insurance choice/clearing as application

Your application will be pending waiting for more information like UMS

Following the provision of UMS on results day, your college may decide to:

Relax your offer and confirm your place

Release you to your insurance/clearing if they don't think you are interest at their college or elsewhere

Place you in the Summer Pool for other Colleges to consider you

The Summer Pool takes places the day after results day and colleges can offer you a place from there. In most subjects it is a small affair, much smaller than the Winter Pool.

We always aim to make decisions as quickly as possible - by the end of results day if possible, unless you're in the Summer Pool in which case you'll hear by the end of the Monday.

Note that if you are waiting on a remark you may still be released to your insurance/clearing - this is in your interests so you can sort places/accommodation etc. If your grade increases and we find our before the 31st August your place at Cambridge is confirmed and we can take you back from whichever other university you've accepted a place at.

Thank you very much for the reply
I will work as hard as I can:tongue:
Reply 17
Depends how close you are and whether other people made their offers or missed them by more than you. I missed my offer and still got in though, back in 2013.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending