The Student Room Group

The Assassination of PewDiePie

Character assassination, that is. As you may have already heard, popular YouTube content creator PewDiePie, once an innocuous, if somewhat annoying but otherwise harmless internet personality, is now a Nazi. At least according to mainstream media journalists.

Using barely a few minutes of video footage taken from hundreds of hours of content, The Wall Street Journal decided to lift jokes and comedy skits and present them sans context to make it appear as though the Swedish Youtuber has horrific anti-Semitic sympathies. We all know that Hitler jokes mean you are Nazi-lover, and will turn your children into Brownshirts. Don't even argue. It's not like the jokes are just tongue-in-cheek and actually rely on the premise of being a faux pas in order to fulfill their intended comedic purpose...

Since the WSJ hit piece, dozens of other media outlets have piled in to partake in the defamation frenzy, seemingly without bothering to do much research. I can't help but get the feeling that, in fearing their growing irrelevancy and steady decline in popularity, this is another desperate attempt to get some much needed clicks and attack a media personality who gets more web traffic in a day than they do in a month.

Also cited in the relentless tide of slander was the fact American Neo-Nazi website The Daily Stormer began calling itself "The World's #1 PewDiePie Fansite" in response, which totally wasn't a joke in any way. To the media, this was just more proof of Pewd's Nazi sympathies and his harmful influence. Rather ironically, however, the website is now calling itself "The World's #1 Wall Street Journal Fansite" and features the three authors of the original WSJ article in its banner. Oh dear...

DStormerBanner.jpg

If these papers and journalists can't even report on a YouTuber accurately and without behaving like Harry Potter's Rita Skeeta (another splattering of irony, considering J.K. Rowling's recent comments), how can we trust them to report on political figures?

Scroll to see replies

I used to respect the WSJ as a good and generally well sourced news outlet. But this is just ****ing ridiculous.

One of their clips which they took out of context was from a video about the media taking things out of context. :facepalm2:
Well, it's not just the media treating him like a Nazi. Actual neo-Nazis like the Daily Stormer love what he did and are now his biggest fans.

I know that everything he did was only meant to be a "joke", but that just makes him an irresponsible idiot. Firstly, there was nothing funny about the "jokes" and secondly, some actual Nazi sympathisers will inevitably become emboldened because they think he is serious. As a public figure and in this current political climate, he should have known better.
Original post by Mathemagicien
But don't you think that PewDiePie's "edgy" humour has some menace behind it?

Dark humour has been around for quite sometime, there is no menace behind it, just not thought through in some of the cases.
Reply 4
Lefties love to pretend they're living in some dystopia where Jews are still an oppressed people in need of protection.
Original post by WBZ144
Well, it's not just the media treating him like a Nazi. Actual neo-Nazis like the Daily Stormer love what he did and are now his biggest fans.

I know that everything he did was only meant to be a "joke", but that just makes him an irresponsible idiot. Firstly, there was nothing funny about the "jokes" and secondly, some actual Nazi sympathisers will inevitably become emboldened because they think he is serious. As a public figure and in this current political climate, he should have known better.

Anybody who thinks he was serious is a ****ing moron.

The WSJ should really know better than to publish fake news, especially in this political climate.
Original post by TLM_
Lefties love to pretend they're living in some dystopia where Jews are still an oppressed people in need of protection.

Antisemitic hate crimes are continuously on the rise. It's easy to mock the problem when you're not a target. Just because it isn't Nazi Germany doesn't mean it's a non-issue.
http://www.itv.com/news/2017-02-02/warnings-as-anti-semitic-hate-crimes-at-record-levels/
Original post by Willy Pete
Anybody who thinks he was serious is a ****ing moron.

The WSJ should really know better than to publish fake news, especially in this political climate.

And neo-Nazis are ****ing morons who can't tell what is a joke (albeit a very bad one) and what is not. He should have known better than to give them something to dance with glee over.
Reply 8
Original post by WBZ144
Antisemitic hate crimes are continuously on the rise. It's easy to mock the problem when you're not a target. Just because it isn't Nazi Germany doesn't mean it's a non-issue.
http://www.itv.com/news/2017-02-02/warnings-as-anti-semitic-hate-crimes-at-record-levels/

The most common single type of incident involved verbal abuse randomly directed at visibly Jewish people in public.

So, name-calling. It's not like people are physically attacking them like they are Muslims because all of the hate generated by the media.
Original post by WBZ144
And neo-Nazis are ****ing morons who can't tell what is a joke (albeit a very bad one) and what is not. He should have known better than to give them something to dance with glee over.

The neo-nazis aren't really the problem here. It is the media that is in fact the problem. The article was bull**** and the accompanying video was even worse.
It's so ridiculous because most of his jokes that were picked up on rely on the premise that anti-semitism is abhorrent.

That video where those boys were given a fiver to hold a sign up saying "death to all Jews". He clearly said he was showing how people can do the worst things, for a little money. So he quite clearly recognises that such sentiments are horrendous, the worst.

So how he can be a neo-nazi because of that is illogical. However I do think his jokes were a bit over the top, and lacking respect. But there was no racist intent behind it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TLM_
So, name-calling. It's not like people are physically attacking them like they are Muslims because all of the hate generated by the media.

Verbal abuse is the most common type of hate crime but physical attacks also happen. Just the other day a neo-Nazi was arrested for plotting to shoot up a synagogue.

I am aware that anti-Muslim hate crimes have risen dramatically. My own mum is a Muslim and has been attacked, so it scares me. But that doesn't mean we should ignore the rising Antisemitism.
Original post by Willy Pete
The neo-nazis aren't really the problem here. It is the media that is in fact the problem. The article was bull**** and the accompanying video was even worse.

Both are a problem in this situation. I don't think that he is a Nazi but he should still be criticised for his irresponsible actions. The media should have done that instead of blowing things out of proportion.

But the last thing we need right now is more neo-Nazis empowerment.
Original post by WBZ144
Both are a problem in this situation. I don't think that he is a Nazi but he should still be criticised for his irresponsible actions. The media should have done that instead of blowing things out of proportion.

But the last thing we need right now is more neo-Nazis empowerment.

There is no doubt he ****ed up, he admitted it and apologised.

Now you are blowing things out of proportion, a few alt-right or nazis or whatever we are calling them these days aren't really a credible threat and i don't think a Youtuber making a few Reich jokes is going to "empower" them.
Original post by TLM_

You don't think Jews ever receive racism anymore?
Reply 15
Original post by Twinpeaks
You don't think Jews ever receive racism anymore?

Violence is the problem I focus on, not name-calling.
Original post by TLM_
Violence is the problem I focus on, not name-calling.

Racism is racism. It's not up to you to define it, it constitute verbal attacks, and indirect behaviour. Whether you only care about violence is irrelevant to the question. Do you think that Jews are no longer subject to racism?

Original post by Mathemagicien
White people sometimes receive racism. Does that make white people an oppressed people?

Racism =/= oppression.
Reply 17
Racism is racism. It's not up to you to define it, it constitute verbal attacks, and indirect behaviour. Whether you only care about violence is irrelevant to the question. Do you think that Jews are no longer subject to racism?

it's a tool of liberal oppression as you have quite clearly pointed out, controlling what people say and do

i see no need to protect them especially. what if PDP said "death to all britons", nobody would care, why is that?
Original post by WBZ144

The problem is that any attack on jews is seen as an attack on them because they are jews, I personally do not agree with the formation of Israel and their growth and land grabbing, but If I point out this it means I am some evil Neo nazi, if spain was doing this if Japan was doing this I would call it out, I also call out palistine and on the whole Israel v palistine thing I stand on the "Both of them have comitted war crimes" and neither are very valid. the media and the jews themselves see all attacks on them as a personal holocaust like we have just killed millions of them.

If I point out that israel has comitted war crimes I am attacking every single jew that has ever existed, If I say that Jewish is only a religion and is not a race I am being anti semitic

Racism =/= oppression.

So if I call a black person a racial slur am I instantly opressing him?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending