The Student Room Group

English Literature 2017 - What do we want to come up?

Hey! I thought we could make a thread talking about what we'd like to come up on the new english lit exam this year :smile: I do Macbeth, a Christmas Carol, DNA, and the Power and Conflict Poetry.
For Macbeth, I'd like Macbeth as a hero to come up, as I could go into the whole Aristotle's tragedy concept. I wouldn't mind the supernatural either.
For a Christmas Carol, I would be so happy if Social Responsibility came up, but I doubt it will as it's quite easy. I think the moods in the novel would also be good.
For DNA, I would like Leadership or Phil to be a question, as I have a good concept for it. Maybe something to do with group and belonging or nature vs nurture.
Finally for the poetry, I want either Ozymandias or London for power, or Remains for conflict.
Reply 1
Hi there!

I'm doing Macbeth, An Inspector Calls, Jekyll and Hyde and the Power and Conflict Poetry.

Macbeth - How he is presented with a loss of control.
An Inspector Calls - How Sheila is presented throughout the play.
Jekyll and Hyde - I have no idea tbh
Poetry - London, Ozymandias, Bayonet Charge or Exposure
Original post by Simba17
Hi there!

I'm doing Macbeth, An Inspector Calls, Jekyll and Hyde and the Power and Conflict Poetry.

Macbeth - How he is presented with a loss of control.
An Inspector Calls - How Sheila is presented throughout the play.
Jekyll and Hyde - I have no idea tbh
Poetry - London, Ozymandias, Bayonet Charge or Exposure

I think Macbeth's loss of control could also work with my concept, so that would be okay. For some reason, I don't like Exposure, so I hoping it won't come up.
Reply 3
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
I think Macbeth's loss of control could also work with my concept, so that would be okay. For some reason, I don't like Exposure, so I hoping it won't come up.

Although there is a lot of analysis in Remains, I don't feel too confident about it haha. Exposure is one of my favourite poems in the anthology!
Original post by Simba17
Although there is a lot of analysis in Remains, I don't feel too confident about it haha. Exposure is one of my favourite poems in the anthology!

That's the same with me and Exposure. There's a lot to say, but I wouldn't feel confident writing about it. My favourites are London, and War Photographer.
We do Macbeth, An Inspector Calls, A Christmas Carol and Love and Relationships.

For poetry, anything except Letters to Yorkshire and Neutral Tones bc those ones are my favourites and therefore the ones that I can remember lmao

The mock question for A Christmas Carol was disastrous (something about generosity; didn't answer half the question) so that gives me the most anxiety. I don't really know what questions I'd like to answer lmao I never know what I'm doing when I'm writing literature essays
Original post by orderofthelotus
We do Macbeth, An Inspector Calls, A Christmas Carol and Love and Relationships.

For poetry, anything except Letters to Yorkshire and Neutral Tones bc those ones are my favourites and therefore the ones that I can remember lmao

The mock question for A Christmas Carol was disastrous (something about generosity; didn't answer half the question) so that gives me the most anxiety. I don't really know what questions I'd like to answer lmao I never know what I'm doing when I'm writing literature essays

I remember when our question for Macbeth in the mock paper was 'How does Shakespeare present Macbeth as having regrets' and I just felt like dying.
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
I remember when our question for Macbeth in the mock paper was 'How does Shakespeare present Macbeth as having regrets' and I just felt like dying.

Lmaooooooooooooo I reckon I could answer that tho. His little speech towards the end before he dies, and the whole thing about Neptune's ocean not being able to wash the blood off of his hands (is it obvious I haven't revised any quotes since the mocks) come to mind immediately.
Original post by orderofthelotus
Lmaooooooooooooo I reckon I could answer that tho. His little speech towards the end before he dies, and the whole thing about Neptune's ocean not being able to wash the blood off of his hands (is it obvious I haven't revised any quotes since the mocks) come to mind immediately.

Yes I did that quote. I also did 'Why should I play the Roman fool and die on mine on sword' to talk about suicide. The extract was rubbish though, the speech after Lady Macbeth commits suicide.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending