The Student Room Group

Grade 5 in maths gcse a Low B?

Is a high 5 in gcse maths considered as a low b ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As far as I know grade 5 is equivalent to a C, if you want a reference, look at sixth forms in your area, before they required a C in maths for you to not have to redo them, see what grade they think is required now and that will probably be equivalent to a C
Yeah, the new point system is essentially the old one just bumped up a little bit. So you could say the new benchmark for a pass is a high C/low B.
Reply 3
Original post by Echo00
A high 5 is considered a high C.

* If I get a High 5, Will that be a problem if both colleges I want to go to require a B in maths for the subjects I wanna do at A-Level?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by orderofthelotus
Yeah, the new point system is essentially the old one just bumped up a little bit. So you could say the new benchmark for a pass is a high C/low B.

* If I get a High 5, Will that be a problem if both colleges I want to go to require a B in maths for the subjects I wanna do at A-Level?
Reply 5
Original post by Retsek
As far as I know grade 5 is equivalent to a C, if you want a reference, look at sixth forms in your area, before they required a C in maths for you to not have to redo them, see what grade they think is required now and that will probably be equivalent to a C

Original post by zmarai123
Is a high 5 in gcse maths considered as a low b ?

Some posters have given you wrong information here. A high 5 is indeed equivalent to a low B.

Possibly, get 6
Reply 8
Original post by Mr M
Some posters have given you wrong information here. A high 5 is indeed equivalent to a low B.

Thank you so much ! :smile:
But
will that low b still be considered as a b though?
Reply 9
Original post by Echo00
If that's the entry requirement then it's very likely to be a problem. Is there not a 9-1 grade there?

There is I need a 6, but the highest in maths cos of foundation i can get is a 5.
Do you see the problem, thats why I wanted to know if 5 is considered as a b

Yeah, I think it'll be a problem but double check with the colleges bc if they haven't changed their grade requirements then they'll have to consider what grade they think is good enough for the courses.

Besides, when you get a results, you won't be told whether it's a high 5 or a low 5, will you? So you might as well run the extra mile and try to bump it up to a 6.

I'm on a journey to go from a high 4 to a stable 6 to get into the college I want to and even then, I might need a 7 to get into their physics course so lmao wish me luck
Reply 11

Really the colleges should be asking for one of the new levels not a grade as they're not being used anymore...
Reply 12
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Possibly, get 6

but the highest in maths cos of foundation i can get is a 5. Do you see the problem, thats why I wanted to know if 5 is considered as a b
Reply 13
Original post by orderofthelotus
Yeah, I think it'll be a problem but double check with the colleges bc if they haven't changed their grade requirements then they'll have to consider what grade they think is good enough for the courses.

Besides, when you get a results, you won't be told whether it's a high 5 or a low 5, will you? So you might as well run the extra mile and try to bump it up to a 6.

I'm on a journey to go from a high 4 to a stable 6 to get into the college I want to and even then, I might need a 7 to get into their physics course so lmao wish me luck

but the highest in maths cos of foundation i can get is a 5. Do you see the problem, thats why I wanted to know if 5 is considered as a b

Do you have another chance to get into higher? Getting a 6 is the only way you can be certain you can do what you want.
Reply 15
Original post by Echo00
Oh ok. A high 5 might actually be equivalent to a low B but if it says you need a 6 then that might be a problem. You should check this.

@Mr M What do you think?

It does say 6 so what do you think I can do to let me do the course I want

If that's the highest in foundation, then 5 is a C
Reply 17
Original post by Echo00
If it says you need a 6 then that's the grade they want in the 9-1 GCSE.

You'll need to be sitting the higher paper though so if that is what you want to do you should speak to your school about this first and see if they'll allow you to sit the higher paper.

I just sent an email now but what if my teacher says no?
Is there anything I can do to persuade them to allow me to do the course :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by Echo00
What grade are you currently working at in maths?

grade 4 predicted 5
I just sent an email now but what if my teacher says no?
Is there anything I can do to persuade them to allow me to do the course :frown:

I have no idea why these colleges are still asking for lettered grades! Sounds like they don't know what they are doing.

To be very blunt, if you have been entered for Foundation Tier at GCSE, you are very unlikely to succeed with the reformed mathematics A level. You will be playing catch-up from the very start. I'd recommend a different subject choice.

Quick Reply

Latest