The Student Room Group

The downside of doing Further Maths in 1 year

So I received my exam timetable today and holy **** I have D1/M2 at the same time, S2/FP3 at the same time and FP2/S1 at the same time.

I don't mind S1 and D1, but FP3/S2 is a killer.

If anyone has experienced anything like this before at A levels, how did you manage to cope with it?
RIP.
I don't cope with things, I just cry.
Reply 3
It's not that big of a deal?
Original post by Google22
So I received my exam timetable today and holy **** I have D1/M2 at the same time, S2/FP3 at the same time and FP2/S1 at the same time.

I don't mind S1 and D1, but FP3/S2 is a killer.

If anyone has experienced anything like this before at A levels, how did you manage to cope with it?
S-level M + FM on same day. Two 3 hour exams at near-STEP levels of difficulty.

Also nearly all the Tripos exams were scheduled as two 3-hour exams, usually 4 exams over 2 days. But TBH that wasn't as stressful as those S-levels...
Reply 5
Original post by DFranklin
Also nearly all the Tripos exams were scheduled as two 3-hour exams, usually 4 exams over 2 days.

That sounds draining... Is it still a thing?
Original post by Zacken
That sounds draining... Is it still a thing?
I think they're now usually one exam per day (don't know about part III).

At the time, I didn't think it was really a big deal - but in hindsight I did noticably worse in afternoon papers than morning ones - could have just been the questions though.

I actually got a fairly detailed breakdown in IA, and I got 7 alphas in each of the morning papers (with max possible being 7), 5 and 4 in the 2 afternoon papers. But my worst topics were in the afternoon... even so, 5 and 4 was maybe a little worse than I might have hoped for. Other years would be more my own estimates than actual marks from the examiners, so more guesswork there.
Reply 7
I think they're now usually one exam per day (don't know about part III).

Ah, that's good. Cheers.

At the time, I didn't think it was really a big deal - but in hindsight I did noticably worse in afternoon papers than morning ones - could have just been the questions though.

I actually got a fairly detailed breakdown in IA, and I got 7 alphas in each of the morning papers (with max possible being 7), 5 and 4 in the 2 afternoon papers. But my worst topics were in the afternoon... even so, 5 and 4 was maybe a little worse than I might have hoped for. Other years would be more my own estimates than actual marks from the examiners, so more guesswork there.

How come you only got breakdowns for IA? Those are incredible results though... 7 alphas on both morning papers?!
Original post by Zacken
Ah, that's good. Cheers.

How come you only got breakdowns for IA? Those are incredible results though... 7 alphas on both morning papers?!
The questions are "scattered" in laler years (so you might have 1 complex analysis question on each of 4 papers, for example). The breakdowns are by question type (actually question letter I think, so 2-3 question types might get clumped together). So harder to know which paper you got which marks on.

As for the marks, I actually got 137/140 and 138/140 on the morning exams. Which makes the falloff in the afternoon even more acute. (But as I say, it's partly that the morning topics were my strongest - I didn't have 7 questions I could do well in either of the afternoon papers, so I was always going to drop more marks).
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
It's not that big of a deal?

It honestly is. Like I said, I don't mind doing D1/M2 and FP2/S1 in a 3 hour maths exam session, since in D1 and S1 I can get a decent score without too much revision.

But FP3 and S2, one after the other, for 3 hours. That's a killer. And I need to get atleast 90% on both to have any hope of getting an A* in Further maths.

Looks like I'll focus more on FP3 and hope I get 90% on M2 to make up for S2.

sigh
Reply 10
S-level M + FM on same day. Two 3 hour exams at near-STEP levels of difficulty.

Also nearly all the Tripos exams were scheduled as two 3-hour exams, usually 4 exams over 2 days. But TBH that wasn't as stressful as those S-levels...

Damn that sounds like hell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending