The Student Room Group

Recommended Film production BA ?

Hello!

This has been edited! *Again

I've applied for 5 schools in Film production BA , all for year 2 entry.

Leeds Beckett University - Filmmaking
University of Creative Arts - Film Production
University of South Wales - Film
Norwich University of the Arts - Film and Moving Image Production
Staffordshire University - Experimental Film Production

I've gotten 2 interviews since, one from NUA and another from Staffs. Both gave me an unconditional offer by the end of the day. NUA - Year 1 entry and Staffs Year 2 entry .
I also receive a conditional offer from USW in which the condition is I complete my current studies (Which is sort of completed) My only concern being that I didn't have an interview with USW and they offered me year 2 entry. (I should be happy but I cant help thinking if the course is actually in need of people that they just offer ?)
I've received conditional offer from UCA in which the condition is that I complete my current studies and I take IELTS (Which cost me 380. I'd have to take the test and passed it and then start from year 1) I didn't get an interview for this as well...

Waiting on Leeds Beckett for the interviews (Not really anymore? I'll just see if they'll reply me)

So now my problem is that I want to take NUA's offer but it is 3 years and not the 2 years I expected. USW seems like a good choice as well since I've heard nice things about Newport film school but getting an offer with interview caught me off-guard(?) . Also that someone said about Cardiff being boring? Not so sure about that.
Of course there's Staffs which I have to say the course leader is great , he is passionate about his teaching and he seems really nice. But the course is not as appealing as USW/NUA.

Would love to take UCA since I've been hearing good things about them and that they have amazing alumni list but having to take another test and also 3 years is making me hesitate.

So if anyone can give me any advice on how to choose or just any comments about the school that you think would help me decide, it would be great!
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm having to choose as well.

I'm doing NUA, Middlesex, Portsmouth, but I don't know what after that.

AUB is meant to be good, but the reviews are not good.

I've been told to avoid MET like the plague.

Also, don't go to UEA. That's where I'm from, I'm transferring.
Reply 2
Original post by solar222222
I'm having to choose as well.

I'm doing NUA, Middlesex, Portsmouth, but I don't know what after that.

AUB is meant to be good, but the reviews are not good.

I've been told to avoid MET like the plague.

Also, don't go to UEA. That's where I'm from, I'm transferring.

I thought MET (MET film school right?) is suppose to be good tho? My choices now are likely herts,staffs,NUA,USW,Leeds beckett
Original post by EunJae97
I thought MET (MET film school right?) is suppose to be good tho? My choices now are likely herts,staffs,NUA,USW,Leeds beckett

I've heard just awful things from MET from a lot of people.

Leeds is a good a choice, wish I could go there, they don't accept Year 2s unfortunately. Also, one that looks really good, York, and it's also a very high ranking uni.
Reply 4
I've heard just awful things from MET from a lot of people.

Leeds is a good a choice, wish I could go there, they don't accept Year 2s unfortunately. Also, one that looks really good, York, and it's also a very high ranking uni.

Were you doing film in uea?
Were you doing film in uea?

Yeah, Film and Television Studies, it's awful, don't do it there.
Hi all,

I am currently a student from Singapore, graduating in May 2017. I'm looking to study film production in UK. I don't really have much experience with film making but I did have a module or 2 on video production (as part of my current diploma).
I hoping to look for a school that is more practical and is likely to get opportunities to work in the industry. However, I would definitely like to have more university life(?) . Hopefully the area would not be too dull/dead. Some of the university I have came across are :

NUA
UCA
Glouscestershire
Staffordshire
Northern Film School (Leeds Beckett)
Hertfordshire
Ravensbourne
Newport (USW)

I can only choose 5 unis for UCAS , so it would be great to have any advise

Thanks!

Hey EunJae97!

At Ravensbourne, we do live briefs within our subjects so you will get to met people from industry that comes in and does projects.
We have lectures from the industry to come in to talk about their work as well as what it may be like in the industry. You can learn more about how to use your equipment in the first year and build a basic knowledge in traditional methods of broadcasting.

As for university life, I think it is amazing. I don't think you'll have a dull moment in Ravensbourne due to the events we have. The people here are great and friendly. You can meet a range of different people from outside of your study course in our social space! I've been at Ravensbourne for a while and what they offer really interested. I get to work with people outside of my chosen subjects as well as be friends with them.

Feel Free to ask me any more questions :smile:

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Kay
Yeah, Film and Television Studies, it's awful, don't do it there.

What would you say are the problems with the UEA course?
Reply 8
Edited! didnt wanna post a new thread
Original post by PQ
What would you say are the problems with the UEA course?

Sorry I took so long to answer.

UEA is great if you wanna learn how to write an essay on people who make films, it's awful for people who want to make films. There is barely any practical aspect to the course, even though they don't advertise it like that, and the little there is, is so amateur, it's not even worth doing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Edited! didnt wanna post a new thread

I got a place at NUA for year 2 (I am transferring) . I think it's a good uni, it's higher in the Guardian list in comparison to the other unis you mentioned by a loooong stretch. If I was you, I wouldn´t reject it just because it's three years long. That's the standard. There are people who do four years at Uni, some people even do five! Three is nothing.
Reply 11
I got a place at NUA for year 2 (I am transferring) . I think it's a good uni, it's higher in the Guardian list in comparison to the other unis you mentioned by a loooong stretch. If I was you, I wouldn´t reject it just because it's three years long. That's the standard. There are people who do four years at Uni, some people even do five! Three is nothing.

Yeah I mean I would take it up but 3 years means another year of expenses and school fees 😭
Yeah I mean I would take it up but 3 years means another year of expenses and school fees 😭

Like I said, three years is the standard. Everyone´s on the same boat.
hi, I just applied to uea for Film and television but it’ll be my 5th choice...why is it bad😂 thanks!!
Hey!
I am a student at BU and we have a Film Production and Cinematography course that you might be interested in. Here is the link for it:

https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/ba-hons-film-production-cinematography

Alice :smile:
Original post by BU Students
Hey!
I am a student at BU and we have a Film Production and Cinematography course that you might be interested in. Here is the link for it:

https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/ba-hons-film-production-cinematography

Alice :smile:

OP has already applied for their 5 UCAS choices. And you really should be explicit that this course is taught by Wiltshire College in Salisbury and not in Bournemouth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending