The Student Room Group

York Uni Sliding down the rankings?

Little concerned as I've received an offer from York. When my sister went there in 2011, it was considered a top 10 University. However, it's since dropped to 20th place in the rankings, which is very concerning. Whereas places like Manchester and Leeds are moving up year by year. Why is York dropping so quickly and should I look elsewhere? Advice wanted. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

York is focusing on the World rankings at present, and these are the real test for a university. Don't worry about the UK league tables, as they don't measure prestige very well at all, and every 10 years things change considerably as to where a university is ranked.

There isn't really any such thing as a top 10 university, as beyond the list below there are many universities that could claim to be a top 10:-

Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial
LSE
UCL
KCL
Edinburgh
Bristol
Manchester
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Magic Streets
York is focusing on the Wold rankings at present, and these are the real test for a university. Don't worry about the UK league tables, as they don't measure prestige very well at all, and every 10 years things change considerably as to where a university is ranked.

There isn't really any such thing as a top 10 university, as beyond the list below there are many universities that could claim to be a top 10:-

Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial
LSE
UCL
KCL
Edinburgh
Bristol
Manchester

Manchester and KCL can barely claim to be top 20.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Newcastle456
Manchester and KCL can barely claim to be top 20.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Based on the UK rankings, and on your own perceptions, yes you are correct. But the World rankings capture prestige far better, and are seen as the golden standard to strive for improvement by the Russell Group, Vice Chancellors, professors, governments and important institutions across the World.

On a final note, Manchester and KCL are both ranked amongst the best research universities in the World. KCL is also part of the Golden Triangle of Oxford, Cambridge and London universities.
Reply 4
Based on the UK rankings, and on your own perceptions, yes you are correct. But the World rankings capture prestige far better, and are seen as the golden standard to strive for improvement by the Russell Group, Vice Chancellors, professors, governments and important institutions across the World.

On a final note, Manchester and KCL are both ranked amongst the best research universities in the World. KCL is also part of the Golden Triangle of Oxford, Cambridge and London universities.

Which would you choose out of KCL, Sheffield or York?

I know you'll probably say KCL, but there are lot of disadvantages i.e. expense and poor accommodation.
Reply 5

KCL is a *****y low-tier uni. Not even close to LSE/UCL/Imperial.
Reply 6
Original post by Foxab77

Well it is 40th place in the Guardian. Not as great as it once was I think. But it is ranked a top 20 Uni in most tables, and is about 25th globally.
Original post by Voi
Well it is 40th place in the Guardian. Not as great as it once was I think. But it is ranked a top 20 Uni in most tables, and is about 25th globally.

If you are putting ahead of Durham, St.Amdrews and Warwick, all of which are clearly better, you are off your head.
Reply 8
Original post by Newcastle456
If you are putting ahead of Durham, St.Amdrews and Warwick, all of which are clearly better, you are off your head.

Well, people on here say global ranking is all that matters now. Given that KCL is 21st globally, and all the others are like 100th place, it is actually better than them...
Reply 9
Original post by Voi
Well, people on here say global ranking is all that matters now. Given that KCL is 21st globally, and all the others are like 100th place, it is actually better than them...

quite clearly speaking crap now xD
Coming here to ask about rankings is always - but always - utterly pointless.
Original post by Voi

Why do you think banks/consulting firms target Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial/Warwick/UCL only?? Is it for fun?
Original post by Voi
Which would you choose out of KCL, Sheffield or York?

I know you'll probably say KCL, but there are lot of disadvantages i.e. expense and poor accommodation.

KCL for sure, but it would depend on the course too. York and Sheffield are also very well respected in the UK, and you can't go wrong with them either.
Original post by Foxab77
Why do you think banks/consulting firms target Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial/Warwick/UCL only?? Is it for fun?

Not everyone works for banks or consultancy firms, and even these firms do semi-target many other universities. KCL has a prestigious top 6 law school, for instance.
Original post by Voi
Little concerned as I've received an offer from York. When my sister went there in 2011, it was considered a top 10 University. However, it's since dropped to 20th place in the rankings, which is very concerning. Whereas places like Manchester and Leeds are moving up year by year. Why is York dropping so quickly and should I look elsewhere? Advice wanted. Thanks.

I honestly don't know why you're overblowing this. York is a great university and you should be grateful to have an offer there, not writing the 598th thread about them 'slipping' on some leaderboard site that barely matters in the real world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foxab77

'only' is a funny word to use here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foxab77

KCL is a World leading research university.
Reply 17
Original post by Foxab77

What's your point? You seem to be implying that I said those Universities are ranked lower than KCL? I didn't say that!

I said that KCL is better than Warwick, which globally it is. As for Oxbridge, LSE and UCL, they're ranked higher globally than KCL, so they are 'better'.

Anyway, I couldn't care less about banks/consulting firms, it's not the course/career I'm applying for.
Reply 18
KCL for sure, but it would depend on the course too. York and Sheffield are also very well respected in the UK, and you can't go wrong with them either.

What's putting me off with KCL is the accommodation. It's like £200 a week for a decent en-suite room. The cheapest rooms aren't en-suite (so shared toilet and kitchen) and are in dodgy parts of East London (30 minute Tube ride to KCL). For £200 in York, Sheffield etc, you could get a huge studio apartment, maybe even an entire terrace house to yourself if you rent privately.
Reply 19
Original post by Princepieman
I honestly don't know why you're overblowing this. York is a great university and you should be grateful to have an offer there, not writing the 598th thread about them 'slipping' on some leaderboard site that barely matters in the real world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but in 2010, York was a top 10 University, now it is 20th... and sliding every year. By the time I graduate (if I decide to go there), it could be like 30th place, meaning that I've made a really poor choice/investment in my education.

Latest

Trending

Trending