The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Oragon
Hi, this may a bit too early but has anyone decided that they will take a gap year and apply in 2017?

When you say gap year do you mean you get your A Level results in August and apply that october?
Hey!

Just like to say that I'm taking a gap year and applying for 2018 entry.

I got BBCC on my AS and a really low UKCAT score.
Really disappointed with myself but I guess that's life; you don't always get what you want.

Anyhow, I plan to smash A2 exams and the UKCAT so that I can apply this year.

My plans for the gap year is to try and get a job in healthcare (really hoping to be in a hospital). This is not only to save up money but to also gain experience.

The last 2 months me and a friend are planning to go to Africa as her mom's friend has a medical practice there. I guess it's like gap medics but much cheaper IMO. Afterwards, I may really treat myself and go to Japan :smile:

Plus I'm planning to go to Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester and maybe a BMAT uni...

This is my plan IF I get the grades...so no pressure haha
Original post by MarshmallowStars
Hey!

Really disappointed with myself but I guess that's life; you don't always get what you want.

My plans for the gap year is to try and get a job in healthcare (really hoping to be in a hospital). This is not only to save up money but to also gain experience.

The last 2 months me and a friend are planning to go to Africa as her mom's friend has a medical practice there. I guess it's like gap medics but much cheaper IMO. Afterwards, I may really treat myself and go to Japan :smile:

Plus I'm planning to go to Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester and maybe a BMAT uni...

Same reasons I'm probs gonna take a gap year. But I've applied for neuroscience just incase I don't get grades for medicine.
And your gap year plans sound awesome.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Demi.star
Same reasons I'm probs gonna take a gap year. But I've applied for neuroscience just incase I don't get grades for medicine.
And your gap year plans sound awesome.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh...do you mean you've applied for neuroscience to start this year?
Plus thank you very much :biggrin: Really appreciate that!
And I honestly do hope you get the grades for medicine! Lets hope our hard work pays off!
Ahh...do you mean you've applied for neuroscience to start this year?
Plus thank you very much :biggrin: Really appreciate that!
And I honestly do hope you get the grades for medicine! Lets hope our hard work pays off!

I've applied for neuroscience starting September 2017.
Yes gotta work really hard this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Demi.star
I've applied for neuroscience starting September 2017.
Yes gotta work really hard this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay.
Again, best of luck this year!
Ahh okay.
Again, best of luck this year!

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
[QUOTE="NimcoA;69668578"]
Original post by Oragon
Hi, this may a bit too early but has anyone decided that they will take a gap year and apply in 2017?

When you say gap year do you mean you get your A Level results in August and apply that october?

yep!
Reply 28
Hey!

nice plan, good luck! Ike everything is dependant on the grades because if i do badly thats all my plans canceled :biggrin: I'm losing hope of getting the grades , i feel like I've left everything so last minute and everything has piled on! :bricks: sigh
Hello
I was wondering if anyone knows any apprenticeships or placements that are 1 year long and can be done in a gap year. Also I'm planning on getting a few jobs- if anyone has any advice.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oragon
nice plan, good luck! Ike everything is dependant on the grades because if i do badly thats all my plans canceled :biggrin: I'm losing hope of getting the grades , i feel like I've left everything so last minute and everything has piled on! :bricks: sigh

Sorry for the late reply 😅

Plus thank you. I hope you do well too!
Ik what you mean when you feel as though everything is piling up; I hate how these exams will determine what your future will be :afraid:

However, if you're wanting to do medicine you have no choice but to stay positive and get the grades. Losing hope if the enemy here!

Again, sorry for the late reply :blushing:
Hi, I've also decided to take a gap year and apply in 2018
My GCSE's are 4A*s, 5A*s and 2B's; my only AS was General Studies due to the new linear courses.
I have chosen to take a gap year because I didn't feel ready to go into medicine right away, I felt I needed some experience working full time in a hospital (so I'm hoping to work as a healthcare assistant or something similar) and after a lot of the talks I'd been to and research I'd done it felt like my GCSE's weren't strong enough to give me a shot.
I also loved the idea of studying abroad so I wanted to see if the fees in the Netherlands shot up after leaving the EU, and that unfotunately seems to be the case.
99% of my year group has applied to university and are getting offers, and I'm now wondering if it was a mistake to wait and if I should have just applied to a medicine-based course and gone through graduate entry.
Anyway I'm not set on it but next year I'd like to apply to Nottingham, Exeter, Plymouth and Newcastle. Possibly Exeter for medical sciences or Bristol for Virology and Immunology as a 5th.
Reply 32
Going to be applying on gap year, so depressed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ama999
Going to be applying on gap year, so depressed

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm gonna be applying on my gap year too! Annoying but at least we have time to focus on our interviews etc without the pressure of A Levels!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Imogen1208
I'm gonna be applying on my gap year too! Annoying but at least we have time to focus on our interviews etc without the pressure of A Levels!

Posted from TSR Mobile

True I guess :smile: did you apply this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ama999
True I guess :smile: did you apply this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I didn't did you? I was going to defer a year but I didn't do very well in my UKCAT so I decided to apply this year and do it again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
No I didn't did you? I was going to defer a year but I didn't do very well in my UKCAT so I decided to apply this year and do it again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied this year but no offers so going to reapply with achieved grades and hopefully better ukcat in October this year. Where you thinking of applying and what are you're stats( if you don't mind me asking :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ama999
I applied this year but no offers so going to reapply with achieved grades and hopefully better ukcat in October this year. Where you thinking of applying and what are you're stats( if you don't mind me asking :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm hoping to apply to Hull York, Liverpool, Manchester and not sure on the fourth. GCSE's -1A* 7A 1B
AS- 1A 3B (1 UMS off an A in Chem and Bio🙁)
Work experience- 1 year volunteering with children with learning difficulties, 6 months volunteering in a care home, 1 week shadowing in a hospital, 2 weeks in Africa with Gap Medics.

Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
I'm hoping to apply to Hull York, Liverpool, Manchester and not sure on the fourth. GCSE's -1A* 7A 1B
Work experience- 1 year volunteering with children with learning difficulties, 6 months volunteering in a care home, 1 week shadowing in a hospital, 2 weeks in Africa with Gap Medics.

Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice! Yes I'm looking at Liverpool, Manchester, st George's and dunno about 4th (got rejected pre interview by the 1st 2 this year due to ukcat :frown:) and I think I'll do gap medics too, and get a job as a hca maybe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39

Wbu?

Also, do you know if we have to apply via our school if we're taking a gap year?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending