The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

University of Reading Accommodation 2017/18 - FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi Emma, many thanks for the detailed explanation. All makes sense, much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Just been reading this document:-

https://www.reading.ac.uk/web/files/accommodation/Accommodation_Policy_2016-17.pdf

It states:-

Please note rooms are not prioritised for offers on a first come first serve basis due to matching student preferences and other considerations as outlined above.
Members of staff do not have influence over the method of prioritisation.

I read that as stating there is no advantage in applying for accommodation early. Is this correct?
Original post by Valespark2
Just been reading this document:-

https://www.reading.ac.uk/web/files/accommodation/Accommodation_Policy_2016-17.pdf

It states:-

Please note rooms are not prioritised for offers on a first come first serve basis due to matching student preferences and other considerations as outlined above.
Members of staff do not have influence over the method of prioritisation.

I read that as stating there is no advantage in applying for accommodation early. Is this correct?

Hi Valespark2,
You are correct providing you have applied for Accommodation by the deadline then there is no competitive advantage.
Particularly as we allocate blocks for 'Same Gender flats' and matching rooms for those who require an accessible room etc.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions please feel free to ask and we'll get the answers you need for you :smile:

Mark
Final Year Accounting and Management
Original post by UniofReading
Hi Valespark2,
You are correct providing you have applied for Accommodation by the deadline then there is no competitive advantage.
Particularly as we allocate blocks for 'Same Gender flats' and matching rooms for those who require an accessible room etc.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions please feel free to ask and we'll get the answers you need for you :smile:

Mark
Final Year Accounting and Management

Thanks
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit more about Windsor hall?

Original post by Jasz17
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit more about Windsor hall?

I looked at it Friday on the open day , it's the catered halls isn't it ? The position was very nice, the room we saw had a wash basin in it , it was ok a little bit tired compared to the premium rooms I saw, the showers and loos etc were ok if you don't mind sharing , the kitchen was what I would say was the biggest draw back but if you really are looking for catered it would be fine, just a fridge, kettle and toaster (not sure if there was a microwave ) , presume ok if you just have cereal and milk , toast , pot noodles , sandwich etc but beyond that you don't have any options to cook if you ever wanted to, and it's not what I would call a social place where you can all meet up for a drink as it's quite a small area.
Original post by Mumofson
I looked at it Friday on the open day , it's the catered halls isn't it ? The position was very nice, the room we saw had a wash basin in it , it was ok a little bit tired compared to the premium rooms I saw, the showers and loos etc were ok if you don't mind sharing , the kitchen was what I would say was the biggest draw back but if you really are looking for catered it would be fine, just a fridge, kettle and toaster (not sure if there was a microwave ) , presume ok if you just have cereal and milk , toast , pot noodles , sandwich etc but beyond that you don't have any options to cook if you ever wanted to, and it's not what I would call a social place where you can all meet up for a drink as it's quite a small area.

Thank you for the reply!!
Original post by Jasz17
Thank you for the reply!!

I've just looked it's nearly £10 a week more to have a wash basin room than without , my way of thinking is if money is tight I'm not sure a basin is worth the extra. My way of thinking is you are normally going to visit the loo before you go to bed so you would brush your teeth then and again in mornings you will go for a shower and visit the loo so you would brush your teeth then. You would just get a bottle of water filled from the kitchen before bed if you want a drink in the night. So I'm not really seeing a huge benefit for an extra £10 on how you would normally live. The only thing I can think of is that if you needed to urgently throw up in the night you could in your sink!
Reply 28
If the rooms aren't allocated on a "first come first serve basis" then how are they allocated?
Original post by larj19
If the rooms aren't allocated on a "first come first serve basis" then how are they allocated?

I'd like to know this too as on open day they said it's first come first served
Reply 30
Hi Emma, just wondering if you could tell me what the nightlife was like at Sherfeild, and which halls were more suited to this lifestyle?:smile: Thankyou!!
Original post by larj19

Original post by Mumofson
I'd like to know this too as on open day they said it's first come first served

Hi,

To clarify, rooms are not allocated on a "first come first serve basis". Instead, when you fill out the accommodation application you fill out a "lifestyle questionnaire". Based on the answers you put, you will be placed in halls with like-minded people.
Therefore you can fill out the application any time until the closing date which is 1st August. If you put Reading as your firm choice you will be guaranteed accommodation. Although remember you may not always be given your first choice/preference of accommodation, you get to choose 5!

I hope that helped clear things up, and feel free to ask any further questions,
Amelia,
Third year student ambassador studying archaeology and history :biggrin:
Hi there :smile:

A friend of mine and I have just applied for accommodation, and we have unconditional offers. Do we have to wait until Results day?
Or will we get an offer before then?
Hi guys, slight dilemma i need help with!

In regards to accommodation, I'm hoping to get a standard en-suite room but I'm worried that they are pretty far off campus, especially when compared to the premium en-suite rooms that a right on campus, like Stenton and Mackinder in the park group. I really didn't like the St Georges rooms and when I went to the applicant day there wasn't an opportunity to view the other standard en-suite rooms; any idea what they are like!? and how far away they are?? - such as ones in the Benyon area; I'm so confused about accommodation! I'll be studying psychology which is building 62 and that's already pretty out of the way from the main part of campus; ie the library and union. I'm also a 2017 applicant

thanks in advance
(edited 7 years ago)
Please use this thread to ask any questions about Accommodation for the 2017/18 intake.

Hi guys, slight dilemma I need help with!

In regards to accommodation, I'm hoping to get a standard en-suite room but im worried that they are pretty far off campus, especially when compared to the premium en-suite rooms that a right on campus, like Stenton and Mackinder in the park group. I really didn't like the St Georges rooms and when i went to the applicant day there wasn't an opportunity to view the other standard en-suite rooms; any idea what they are like!? and how far away they are?? I'll be studying psychology which is building 62 and that's already pretty out of the way from the main part of campus; ie the library and union. I'm also a 2017 applicant - Also, at the applicant I was told that Mckinder is for postgrad ONLY and online it states this too, but when I phoned up they said it was for undergrads as well??

thanks in advance
Original post by xdeathcondor
Hi there :smile:

A friend of mine and I have just applied for accommodation, and we have unconditional offers. Do we have to wait until Results day?
Or will we get an offer before then?

Hello!

Firstly, congratulations to both of you on the unconditional offers - that's amazing news :smile:

You do still have to wait for results day to receive your accommodation offer, but you just get the chance to apply earlier.

Good luck with your exams and I am glad you are choosing Reading! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Alice :h:
2nd Year Food Science Student
Hi!

I've been looking at the accommodation guide and it says some Northcourt houses have washbasin rooms, but when I try found out which rooms they are, it only lists Wessex and St George's as having washbasin rooms. So which rooms actually offer premium and standard washbasin rooms? :smile:
Original post by harriet64
Hi guys, slight dilemma I need help with!

In regards to accommodation, I'm hoping to get a standard en-suite room but im worried that they are pretty far off campus, especially when compared to the premium en-suite rooms that a right on campus, like Stenton and Mackinder in the park group. I really didn't like the St Georges rooms and when i went to the applicant day there wasn't an opportunity to view the other standard en-suite rooms; any idea what they are like!? and how far away they are?? I'll be studying psychology which is building 62 and that's already pretty out of the way from the main part of campus; ie the library and union. I'm also a 2017 applicant - Also, at the applicant I was told that Mckinder is for postgrad ONLY and online it states this too, but when I phoned up they said it was for undergrads as well??

thanks in advance

Hello!

Firstly, glad you are choosing Reading! :smile:

I was worried about the distance of accommodation from campus when I applied, but actually all of our accommodation is very close. Two options for standard en-suite rooms are Benyon and Sherfield, which are off campus but only 10/15 minutes from the centre (and 5 minutes from the Sportspark if you like the gym!). I had friends living in Benyon and Sherfield last year in standard en-suite rooms and they had a great time!

As well as St George's there is also Greenow & McCombie in the park group area, but this is a smaller hall with limited rooms available - but you can still apply.

In all of the standard en-suite rooms, you share your corridor and kitchen with about 6-8 people, your room contains fitted furniture (desk, wardrobe, lots of storage space, chair, and often under bed storage too which is really useful!) and of course your en-suite toilet and shower.

Mackinder is a premium en-suite room - it is available for postgraduates, but also for undergraduates too as I had a friend in 1st year that lived there. Bridges also offers premium en-suite rooms, in very close proximity to the psychology building so you could always apply there - I lived here in first year and really enjoyed it.

For more information on the standard en-suite rooms, here is the accommodation page link: https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/accommodation/university-accommodation/types-of-room/en-suite-room.aspx

One thing I didn't realise before being a student here is that even though you study a certain course, like Psychology, you aren't necessarily always going to be in that building. I study Food Science, but my lectures can be in the business school, agriculture or general lecture theatres in the centre of campus. So, I wouldn't worry too much about location! Even if you did have to get from Benyon or Sherfield to Psychology, with a bike this would be 5-10 minutes and walking around 25 mins.

Hope all this helps, and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Hello!

Firstly, glad you are choosing Reading! :smile:

I was worried about the distance of accommodation from campus when I applied, but actually all of our accommodation is very close. Two options for standard en-suite rooms are Benyon and Sherfield, which are off campus but only 10/15 minutes from the centre (and 5 minutes from the Sportspark if you like the gym!). I had friends living in Benyon and Sherfield last year in standard en-suite rooms and they had a great time!

As well as St George's there is also Greenow & McCombie in the park group area, but this is a smaller hall with limited rooms available - but you can still apply.

In all of the standard en-suite rooms, you share your corridor and kitchen with about 6-8 people, your room contains fitted furniture (desk, wardrobe, lots of storage space, chair, and often under bed storage too which is really useful!) and of course your en-suite toilet and shower.

Mackinder is a premium en-suite room - it is available for postgraduates, but also for undergraduates too as I had a friend in 1st year that lived there. Bridges also offers premium en-suite rooms, in very close proximity to the psychology building so you could always apply there - I lived here in first year and really enjoyed it.

For more information on the standard en-suite rooms, here is the accommodation page link: https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/accommodation/university-accommodation/types-of-room/en-suite-room.aspx

One thing I didn't realise before being a student here is that even though you study a certain course, like Psychology, you aren't necessarily always going to be in that building. I study Food Science, but my lectures can be in the business school, agriculture or general lecture theatres in the centre of campus. So, I wouldn't worry too much about location! Even if you did have to get from Benyon or Sherfield to Psychology, with a bike this would be 5-10 minutes and walking around 25 mins.

Hope all this helps, and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Thank you so much for your reply!! I think that's my dilemma pretty much solved! So is Mcombie for undergrads? for some reason, i had this in my head that it was for postgrads. Do you have any idea when Mcombie was built?

Many thanks xx
Original post by harriet64
Thank you so much for your reply!! I think that's my dilemma pretty much solved! So is Mcombie for undergrads? for some reason, i had this in my head that it was for postgrads. Do you have any idea when Mcombie was built?

Many thanks xx

Hello,

No problem, glad it helped :smile: So McCombie is for undergraduates and postgraduates. But, it only has 130 rooms which is quite small compared to other halls - and some are reserved for postgraduates. But of course, you can still apply and you may get a room :smile:

It was built in the 1990s, but the rooms are very modern - see the earlier link for pictures!

Hope this answers your questions, but feel free to ask some more!

Alice
2nd Year Food Science student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending