The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samendra
KCL is a fragment of what it once was, its only claim to fame was its former reputation, for most courses, especially Maths and Economics Warwick is much better than KCL, plus why would a US student look at uk unis on global league tables, plus just because he/she thinks that KCL is better than Warwick doesn't mean it actually is. Generally Warwick >>>>> KCL.

Those are well-made points but the main thing that puts me off KCL is how dissatisfied the students are with the teaching there. They're close to the bottom of the Complete University Guide for satisfaction with teaching. I've asked around and quite a few people have talked about lecturers seeming to have more interest in their own research than in the learning of their students.

I guess that's the price to pay for attracting all those Chinese students with global research rankings that have nothing to do with undergraduates.
Original post by Voi
Yes, but in 2010, York was a top 10 University, now it is 20th... and sliding every year. By the time I graduate (if I decide to go there), it could be like 30th place, meaning that I've made a really poor choice/investment in my education.

oooh noooo, 30th place is terrible. you'll be barred from every single job out there. face it man, it's over :frown:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Voi
Little concerned as I've received an offer from York. When my sister went there in 2011, it was considered a top 10 University. However, it's since dropped to 20th place in the rankings, which is very concerning. Whereas places like Manchester and Leeds are moving up year by year. Why is York dropping so quickly and should I look elsewhere? Advice wanted. Thanks.

York was never a top 10 uni lol, and I dont see it becoming a top 10 anytime soon, at least not in terms of prestige.
Reply 43
York was never a top 10 uni lol, and I dont see it becoming a top 10 anytime soon, at least not in terms of prestige.

And why is that?

Go on, please tell me.
Original post by Voi
And why is that?

Go on, please tell me.

It is a fairly new uni, it takes centuries to gain reputation, some unis who do gain rep fast like Warwick, which is only about 50 years old, have a specialized field. York doesnt have anything special about it, all the top unis either had time to gain rep, or have a specialized field, or both.
Reply 45
It is a fairly new uni, it takes centuries to gain reputation, some unis who do gain rep fast like Warwick, which is only about 50 years old, have a specialized field. York doesnt have anything special about it, all the top unis either had time to gain rep, or have a specialized field, or both.

Well Sheffield is like 150 years old and yet it isn't as good as York, why would you say this is the case?
Original post by Voi
Well Sheffield is like 150 years old and yet it isn't as good as York, why would you say this is the case?

Lol i said it takes time to build up rep, but the uni needs to be 'good'; produce world class research, good alumni etc...

Look fact is that York never was a top 10 uni, I don't know where you got that from.
(edited 7 years ago)
Lol i said it takes time to build up rep, but the uni needs to be 'good'; produce world class research, good alumni etc...

Look fact is that York never was a top 10 uni, I don't know where you got that from.

York was a regular feature in the top 10 of UK rankings in the late 90s and early 00s. That doesn't prove that it actually was a top 10 university, but neverthles it enjoyed a very good reputation, one to rival the likes of Durham.

There is no rational way to prove that York is better than Sheffield, although Sheffield is higher in the World rankings.
Reply 48
Original post by Voi
Little concerned as I've received an offer from York. When my sister went there in 2011, it was considered a top 10 University. However, it's since dropped to 20th place in the rankings, which is very concerning. Whereas places like Manchester and Leeds are moving up year by year. Why is York dropping so quickly and should I look elsewhere? Advice wanted. Thanks.

Don't worry too much about league tables, they give you a general idea but aren't to be obsessed upon.

York is a Russel Group university, which means it will always be brilliant. Manchester and Leeds are also Russel Group, but I wouldn't worry. The 3 of them are Russel Group, so just pick the one you like best. Maybe York's just having a bad spell in the rankings? But you really don't need to worry. Cos it's a russel group, York will always be brilliant and a very prestigious uni.
Original post by Voi
And why is that?

Go on, please tell me.

It is incredibly naive to think that a university is a top 10 university based on the UK rankings.
Original post by Magic Streets
It is incredibly naive to think that a university is a top 10 university based on the UK rankings.

Original post by Owain5
Don't worry too much about league tables, they give you a general idea but aren't to be obsessed upon.

York is a Russel Group university, which means it will always be brilliant. Manchester and Leeds are also Russel Group, but I wouldn't worry. The 3 of them are Russel Group, so just pick the one you like best. Maybe York's just having a bad spell in the rankings? But you really don't need to worry. Cos it's a russel group, York will always be brilliant and a very prestigious uni.

The uk league tables mean nothing, also just because its russel group it doesnt mean it 'very prestigious', it is decent but by no means is it a top 10. Loads of unis are in the russel group, doesnt mean they are the best for example; leads, Queen Mary, Belfast etc.. they are all second tier unis but they are still in the russel group and there are many better unis outside of the group example: St Andrews, bath etc.. Out of the 3 unis that you stated, Manchester probably would have the best rep, but honestly dont worry about choosing from those 3 in terms of prestige, look at other factors as all of them are about the same.
The uk league tables mean nothing, also just because its russel group it doesnt mean it 'very prestigious', it is decent but by no means is it a top 10. Loads of unis are in the russel group, doesnt mean they are the best for example; leads, Queen Mary, Belfast etc.. they are all second tier unis but they are still in the russel group and there are many better unis outside of the group example: St Andrews, bath etc.. Out of the 3 unis that you stated, Manchester probably would have the best rep, but honestly dont worry about choosing from those 3 in terms of prestige, look at other factors as all of them are about the same.

Bath was actually blocked from joining the Russell Group, and their World ranking performance remains poor, so it is a mystery to me as to why Bath is so highly regarded in the UK.

St Andrews is a very good university, but I am yet to be convinced that it is better than most universities in the Russell Group. It is considered prestigious because of its age and tradition, and the fact that the wealthy target this university.
(edited 7 years ago)
Bath was actually blocked from joining the Russell Group, and their World ranking performance remains poor, so it is a mystery to me as to why Bath is so highly regarded in the UK.

St Andrews is a very good university, but I am yet to be convinced that it is better than most universities in the Russell Group. It is considered prestigious because of its age and tradition, and the fact that the wealthy target this university.

tbh, most russel group unis are not that 'prestigious', that is a very strong word lol, and very subjective, tbh the only unis that are very 'prestigious' are the ones that can sway employers and are globally known. So the only 'prestigious' unis are: Cambridge and Oxford, (imperial to an extent). What i would say is that if you dont go to the top 10: Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham, St Andrews, Bristol, Manchester. Then dont worry about the prestige just go to whatever uni you like, depending on whether they offer a year in industry, student satisfaction etc,,,

Its because it is connected with the industry very well and its graduate prospects are one of the best in the country
Original post by Owain5

are you gonna use the phrase Russell Group for a 5th time just for pizzazz?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Many of you are deluded if you think there's any real difference between universities that regularly feature in the top 20-30 (outside Oxbridge and the odd course at LSE and Imperial). In the real world outside TSR, there's no such thing as a 'top 5' or 'top 10' - and just because you observe that trend on the Times League Table means **** all. League tables have only been around since the mid 1990s, they are merely comprised of a team of journalists crunching numbers into a database, and most people employing you would've graduated before their existence (it might shock you to know that Warwick wasn't considered anything special before league tables existed, which shows how powerful these tables really are in altering people's perceptions of a university's reputation - funnily not many upper-class/public schoolkids choose to go to Warwick). The quality of education you'll receive and your employment prospects certainly won't be better simply because you go to a university ranked 7th over 17th or even 27th (it depends more on the course and how well you do). There's a big handful of good universities in the UK. Get over it and go wherever you want.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MaskOfKeaton
Many of you are deluded if you think there's any real difference between universities that regularly feature in the top 20-30 (outside Oxbridge and the odd course at LSE and Imperial). In the real world outside TSR, there's no such thing as a 'top 5' or 'top 10' - and just because you observe that trend on the Times League Table means **** all. League tables have only been around since the mid 1990s, they are merely comprised of a team of journalists crunching numbers into a database, and most people employing you would've graduated before their existence (it might shock you to know that Warwick wasn't considered anything special before league tables existed, which shows how powerful these tables really are in altering people's perceptions of a university's reputation - funnily not many upper-class/public schoolkids choose to go to Warwick). The quality of education you'll receive and your employment prospects certainly won't be better simply because you go to a university ranked 7th over 17th or even 27th (it depends more on the course and how well you do). There's a big handful of good universities in the UK. Get over it and go wherever you want.

Best post 👌

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
are you gonna use the phrase Russell Group for a 5th time just for pizzazz?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or at least spell it correctly once? :lol:

Whether a university is considered a top 5 or top 10 is not decided by domestic rankings, but by general reputation as perceived by the public. Not too many people would disagree that Imperial, LSE and UCL are among the top 5, and Edinburgh, Bristol and Durham are among the top 10 (at least for undergraduate study).

^^this
One discretion: if you are aiming for competitive careers then your uni may matter e.g. consulting, IB, law etc..

Latest

Trending

Trending