The Student Room Group

DofE or Piano Exam?

My piano exam is falling on the same day as my DofE silver expedition and I don't know what to do. This is the last opportunity to do my piano exam because the pieces have changed and my 2015-2016 pieces are only allowed until the end of exam period A which ends this spring. I suppose I could skip straight to Grade 7 next year
My DofE expedition is just a practice but I have to take part in it to qualify. I asked school if I could take part in the first 2 days only but I have to be there for the whole thing. The teacher gave me a few options:
- I can take part in an open expedition ( I'm not free for any of the dates )
- Do my DofE next year
- Don't do it at all and skip straight to Gold
I am so confused. Help! Which one should I choose? Which one would be better for university applications?
You only get one shot, so make it count you might never get this moment again...
do the piano exam m8
Is there anyway you could ask the people doing the exam if its possible to change the date?
Reply 4
Original post by rhiannamoore
Is there anyway you could ask the people doing the exam if its possible to change the date?

No they won't change it
That's a massive dilemma then..... How long have you been working on your piano grade?
Reply 6
Original post by rhiannamoore
That's a massive dilemma then..... How long have you been working on your piano grade?

Almost a year?
Personally, I would skip the piano exam, because it's not grade 8 or anything, is it? You know you can play the pieces, you don't need the paper to say you've done it. I have skipped loads of grades on viola, and nothing bad has come of that.........
Original post by AnanyaaJain
My piano exam is falling on the same day as my DofE silver expedition and I don't know what to do. This is the last opportunity to do my piano exam because the pieces have changed and my 2015-2016 pieces are only allowed until the end of exam period A which ends this spring. I suppose I could skip straight to Grade 7 next year
My DofE expedition is just a practice but I have to take part in it to qualify. I asked school if I could take part in the first 2 days only but I have to be there for the whole thing. The teacher gave me a few options:
- I can take part in an open expedition ( I'm not free for any of the dates )
- Do my DofE next year
- Don't do it at all and skip straight to Gold
I am so confused. Help! Which one should I choose? Which one would be better for university applications?

D*mn, that's a tricky situation :frown:

My gut instinct would be go for the piano exam. I know how much effort music exams take, and you deserve to have something to show for that.

I'd also say that, in my experience, Grade 6 Piano counts more than Silver DofE when applying to uni (although neither counts too much, extra curriculas related to your subject and stuff like the EPQ count a *lot* more) - lots of people go DofE up to Silver, so Gold is the only one that really stands out.

But, if you've already completed all the sections for silver DofE and it's just the expeditions to go, I'm not sure. It's a shame you aren't free for any of the "open" expeditions. Could you contact your local scout (or guide) groups and see if they're running an expedition soon? It might be worth joining just to get the DofE done (plus scouts is ace :tongue: ) Alternatively if your school does Gold, see if you can go on part of their practise expedition - what one of my friends did.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd say do the exam. Have you tried looking on the DofE website for open expeditions as they usually have quite a few?

Quick Reply

Latest