The Student Room Group

final year of university and dropping out ?

shall i drop out?
You're in final year, you might as well finish and have a degree than drop out at this point.
Original post by Eternalflames
You're in final year, you might as well finish and have a degree than drop out at this point.

in my first year i started an engineering course, however 4 weeks in i wanted to change to computer science. the course leader said that it was too late to change now and i could transfer to computer science second year by passing my first year engineering course. however i knew i wasnt going to pass and dropped out and had a mental breakdown, i also had to still pay the fees for that year. i then started computer science and i am now in my final year. however after second year had finished i realised that programming isnt really for me, i am not good at it and i was no longer interested. i didnt want to do anything that was related to logic, theory or math. i have come to the realisation that my passion lies in design and creativity and i should have done a design or creative course. i feel guilty for doing computer science because i dont want to do anything thats related to logic,theory or math. i had done maths and further maths at A-level and that was a big mistake too as it was never for me. And after engineering i never wanted to do anything math related at all. have i wasted 6 years of my life? i also suffer from mental health disorder and i am on 200mg of medication, i was having thoughts of suicide last semester.
Original post by study beats
in my first year i started an engineering course, however 4 weeks in i wanted to change to computer science. the course leader said that it was too late to change now and i could transfer to computer science second year by passing my first year engineering course. however i knew i wasnt going to pass and dropped out and had a mental breakdown, i also had to still pay the fees for that year. i then started computer science and i am now in my final year. however after second year had finished i realised that programming isnt really for me, i am not good at it and i was no longer interested. i didnt want to do anything that was related to logic, theory or math. i have come to the realisation that my passion lies in design and creativity and i should have done a design or creative course. i feel guilty for doing computer science because i dont want to do anything thats related to logic,theory or math. i had done maths and further maths at A-level and that was a big mistake too as it was never for me. And after engineering i never wanted to do anything math related at all. have i wasted 6 years of my life? i also suffer from mental health disorder and i am on 200mg of medication, i was having thoughts of suicide last semester.

I know it is hard but please push through these last few months. A degree looks better than no degree, and you can do design courses for your masters.
As for your mental health, are you seeing a counsellor about this?
I know it is hard but please push through these last few months. A degree looks better than no degree, and you can do design courses for your masters.
As for your mental health, are you seeing a counsellor about this?

i have sent emails to university for counsellor but no one is replying !!!

also is it worth doing a masters, i wanna quit all education as soon as possible ....i mean isnt masters harder? also how will i get the funding for it?
i have sent emails to university for counsellor but no one is replying !!!

also is it worth doing a masters, i wanna quit all education as soon as possible ....i mean isnt masters harder? also how will i get the funding for it?

I'm sorry to hear about the delay.
If you wanna quit education that's fine too. Try looking for design related jobs, have you tried looking for any places that would give you experience in this field?
I'm sorry to hear about the delay.
If you wanna quit education that's fine too. Try looking for design related jobs, have you tried looking for any places that would give you experience in this field?

i have looked but they all require experience and other stuff
i have looked but they all require experience and other stuff

Have you seen a careers advisor about this?

Try smaller, local companies, they might take you on? and you'll get the experience for progressing into that field.
shall i drop out?

Obviously the answer is no. Fight it, only 3 months left.

However i know someone who dropped out of third year of uni (like right at the ending) to train as a pastor. It was a madness hearing the news.

If i was in third year, (i have mental health too), i would fight it as well. But i'm not, i'm in second year of a first year course. I too changed course at the end but it still hasn't changed my situation at uni
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Quiet Benin
Obviously the answer is no. Fight it, only 3 months left.

However i know someone who dropped out of third year of uni (like right at the ending) to train as a pastor. It was a madness hearing the news.

You can be a famous part time actor etc! Get it finished :biggrin:dd
The thing the majority of employers look for is A degree, doesn't really matter WHAT subject it is...
i'd say finish it and then at least you won't have wasted four years of your life. To be honest I was in the exact same situation as you, i didn't want to do it and was considering dropping out but my friends and family convinced me to stay and stick out the next six weeks,
you're so nearly done!
Stick it out as others have said. You may have made the wrong decision but given you've changed your mind twice now there's no saying whether you would actually have enjoyed a different course or if you'd have changed your mind from that too. Either way it's irrelevant - you've now used all your SF funding and can't do another degree. So finish the one you're doing so you have something to show for your time. After you finish you can look at how to get into a career which interests you, either by retraining with a masters or by doing lots of work experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending